The Student Room Group

BBC Journalism Apprentice Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by emmasarahleigh
No nothing yet:frown: Was it good news for those you know that heard yesterday?

Two of them yes, and one of them no! Praying we get something today 😭
Original post by 17mleh

Ahh yes same. Well hopefully they wouldn't make everyone wait super long if they've started ringing round.
Reply 82
Original post by emmasarahleigh
Ahh yes same. Well hopefully they wouldn't make everyone wait super long if they've started ringing round.

Exactly, and if people do start posting they’ve got the jobs and nobody else has had a response yet, that would cause people a lot of anxiety…so I’m sure they’re going to try avoid that! Plus they probably have sooooo many people to contact, they’re splitting the calls up across a few days
Original post by 17mleh
Exactly, and if people do start posting they’ve got the jobs and nobody else has had a response yet, that would cause people a lot of anxiety…so I’m sure they’re going to try avoid that! Plus they probably have sooooo many people to contact, they’re splitting the calls up across a few days

I mean if everyone was on that original welcome talk then I don't think there's anything over around 150 people to contact and if they have someone at each location/multiple people making the calls, I'd hope it wouldn't take more than a day or two! So hopefully we'll hear very soon:smile: fingers crossed.

I'd also imagine they'll tell people not to share widely until a certain point.
Original post by 17mleh
I couldn’t agree more, it’s so nerve wracking. I’ve never felt more anxious, I’m a very anxious person anyways when it comes to things like this, but the whole process for these schemes makes it worse! I felt so good knowing people were being called, but at the same time, my mind went racing wondering now when I can expect a call. Horrible feeling!

I feel exactly the same - I'm so stressed and keep turning my phone on loud / refreshing my e-mails 'just in case' haha. Fingers crossed for us all! Will drop a message here when I hear back
That’s so good! Which locations did they hear back about for the two people who were successful? I wonder if they’re contacting people location by location

Original post by 17mleh
Reply 86
Original post by raspberries2002
That’s so good! Which locations did they hear back about for the two people who were successful? I wonder if they’re contacting people location by location

I heard back yesterday from Cardiff, believe the other person was also Cardiff. I suspect they are going by location and that different locations will come to decisions at different times
Original post by OAodha
I heard back yesterday from Cardiff, believe the other person was also Cardiff. I suspect they are going by location and that different locations will come to decisions at different times

Yes probably correct. Did you get onto the apprenticeship in Cardiff then? That’s so exciting
Reply 88
Original post by raspberries2002
Yes probably correct. Did you get onto the apprenticeship in Cardiff then? That’s so exciting

Yes I did, very lucky :smile: wishing you all the best of luck too
Original post by OAodha

Ah well done! That's amazing.
Original post by OAodha

Well done! That’s brilliant!
Reply 91
Original post by OAodha

Congratulations!
Rogue Q, but does anyone here have an NCTJ qualification already? I've applied for quite a few backup options in case I don't get the BBC scheme, and just been told I got onto one - if we become NCTJ accredited, are we still eligible to apply for the scheme next year?
Reply 93
Original post by ASLH0744
Rogue Q, but does anyone here have an NCTJ qualification already? I've applied for quite a few backup options in case I don't get the BBC scheme, and just been told I got onto one - if we become NCTJ accredited, are we still eligible to apply for the scheme next year?

Congrats! I’m unsure, tbh, with the NCTJ you’d be qualified to work in a newsroom so you’d be able to apply for journalist roles without the apprenticeship scheme I think? I’ve got onto a News Journalism MA and I can get accredited on that, then most people go into working in a newsroom or freelance cause they’ve got the accreditation. Might be worth emailing when they release the 2023 application and ask?
Original post by 17mleh
Congrats! I’m unsure, tbh, with the NCTJ you’d be qualified to work in a newsroom so you’d be able to apply for journalist roles without the apprenticeship scheme I think? I’ve got onto a News Journalism MA and I can get accredited on that, then most people go into working in a newsroom or freelance cause they’ve got the accreditation. Might be worth emailing when they release the 2023 application and ask?

Thank you! & congrats to you too!! :smile:

Yeah, it's a difficult one. This is my first time applying for the BBC scheme - but I took a year out after uni so I'm eager to get into some actual journalism work now, and don't know if I want to spend another year not doing journalism just on the off chance I'll get onto the scheme next year. But I'd also love to work at the BBC, and this seems like the most direct route of entry - the waiting is absolutely killing me haha.

You're right though, will probably e-mail them and inquire about all of this if I'm unsuccessful when I hear back!
Reply 95

Yeah, it's a difficult one. This is my first time applying for the BBC scheme - but I took a year out after uni so I'm eager to get into some actual journalism work now, and don't know if I want to spend another year not doing journalism just on the off chance I'll get onto the scheme next year. But I'd also love to work at the BBC, and this seems like the most direct route of entry - the waiting is absolutely killing me haha.

You're right though, will probably e-mail them and inquire about all of this if I'm unsuccessful when I hear back!

Yeah I feel for you! I graduated last year so took a year away to work and save, I really miss properly doing journalism! The scheme is definitely a great way into the BBC, so I have my fingers crossed for us. I really hope we do hear soon, I find it bizarre they’ve contacted some people but not others yet. I would assume they’d aim to do it all in one go so word doesn’t get around🤷🏽*♀️
Reply 96

I'm pretty sure they take people who already have an NCTJ onto the apprenticeship. One of the current trainees at the welcome session mentioned he had done a masters in journalism, probably accredited. I remember reading in a few other places that they take people with MAs in journalism (many of which are accredited)
Reply 97
Anyone heard anything?
Reply 98
Does anyone know how many places there are in each location?
Reply 99
Original post by ILight
Does anyone know how many places there are in each location?

I don’t know exactly, but there’s 17 positions this year apparently so I worked out there’s probably 3/4 positions in each location

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending