The Student Room Group

Going back to Manual

So I started off with automatic where I did 14 lessons with an instructor and about 4-5 hours with family member. I failed test coz of an unlucky situation which made me stopped in a yellow box. Anyways my theory has now expired so will have to do it again. To the point do u think that I should start to learn in manual? I mean I know how to drive like including road signs and all of that nitty gritty. But was not sure regarding how long will it take me to learn gears. Do u think 6 hours is enough to learn manual transmission?
I suppose it depends why you want to try manual now?

You should be able to pick up how to drive a manual within 6 hours imo assuming your other skills are ok, more practice on the clutch will help though.
Reply 2
Original post by Apnazain
So I started off with automatic where I did 14 lessons with an instructor and about 4-5 hours with family member. I failed test coz of an unlucky situation which made me stopped in a yellow box. Anyways my theory has now expired so will have to do it again. To the point do u think that I should start to learn in manual? I mean I know how to drive like including road signs and all of that nitty gritty. But was not sure regarding how long will it take me to learn gears. Do u think 6 hours is enough to learn manual transmission?

Me personally, because you are so used to doing automatic since you now have a cumulative of 20 hours of lessons in auto and also done a test in it. It's going to be pretty tough with getting used to a manual especially because of the gears and the clutch. You can pick up a manual transmission in 6 hours but I don't think you can be test ready in 6 hours with a manual. Having driven an automatic, it's going to take a couple hours to get rid of habits that you would of gained from learning an automatic. The toughest things your old habits are going to make harder to learn are things such as learning to use both the brake and the clutch to stop. Trying to set off from nought using both clutch and gas. Knowing when to changing gears both up and down. Hill starts using clutch.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by StriderHort
I suppose it depends why you want to try manual now?

You should be able to pick up how to drive a manual within 6 hours imo assuming your other skills are ok, more practice on the clutch will help though.

My theory test was running out so decided to go for auto and still failed. 😥. Another reason why i wanna go with manual is dat coz now i have to retake my theory so have time. Plus having manual give me more options.
Original post by Keon_J
Me personally, because you are so used to doing automatic since you now have a cumulative of 20 hours of lessons in auto and also done a test in it. It's going to be pretty tough with getting used to a manual especially because of the gears and the clutch. You can pick up a manual transmission in 6 hours but I don't think you can be test ready in 6 hours with a manual. Having driven an automatic, it's going to take a couple hours to get rid of habits that you would of gained from learning an automatic. The toughest things your old habits are going to make harder to learn are things such as learning to use both the brake and the clutch to stop. Trying to set off from nought using both clutch and gas. Knowing when to changing gears both up and down. Hill starts using clutch.

Dats very good point u have made but manual just gives me more options like newer model cars are cheaper compare to the auto. I m quick learner btw. I think i might struggle with clutch as u have to press it with the brake. But wat u say should i give it a try and if i meed more lesson i will take it. Plus i have to retake my theory so got time now.
Reply 5
Dats very good point u have made but manual just gives me more options like newer model cars are cheaper compare to the auto. I m quick learner btw. I think i might struggle with clutch as u have to press it with the brake. But wat u say should i give it a try and if i meed more lesson i will take it. Plus i have to retake my theory so got time now.

Ohhh yh if you have the option to learn manual and you definitely feel that learning manual will be useful then 100% go for it. I always recommend manual over automatic because there's so many benefits like the once you mentioned and it's something I personally need as I want my first car to be a manual once I pass but everyone has their own reason for why they choose manual over automatic.

I would just say don't put the pressure of being test ready for a manual within 6 hours. You might get used to it straightaway or you might need some time.
aaa manual is alr just the clutch which annoys me... um i think if i was to drive an automatic (haven't driven automatic) it would be much easier and tbh would probs prefer it. using the clutch has always been my struggle that's what i get told but if you're a quick learner and can learn it fast, then i don't see why not. also a manual license gives you a choice when you buy a car as you can choose to drive auto or manual. however, for an automatic license , u can only drive an automatic. also i think automatics are more expensive (could be wrong). i personally think u should go manual if that's what you want to do:smile:
Original post by Keon_J
Ohhh yh if you have the option to learn manual and you definitely feel that learning manual will be useful then 100% go for it. I always recommend manual over automatic because there's so many benefits like the once you mentioned and it's something I personally need as I want my first car to be a manual once I pass but everyone has their own reason for why they choose manual over automatic.

I would just say don't put the pressure of being test ready for a manual within 6 hours. You might get used to it straightaway or you might need

I was in pressure earlier coz i had to pass my test before my theory would expire but wat can u do coz i still failed. So now got plenty of time in 2 years to pass my test in manual. Just sad dat i ended up wasting £162 for the day. Part of life.
Original post by gracieee16
aaa manual is alr just the clutch which annoys me... um i think if i was to drive an automatic (haven't driven automatic) it would be much easier and tbh would probs prefer it. using the clutch has always been my struggle that's what i get told but if you're a quick learner and can learn it fast, then i don't see why not. also a manual license gives you a choice when you buy a car as you can choose to drive auto or manual. however, for an automatic license , u can only drive an automatic. also i think automatics are more expensive (could be wrong). i personally think u should go manual if that's what you want to do:smile:

Yes i have seen it the automatic cars are more expensive compare to manual. I will surely do my test in manual.
Reply 9
Yes i have seen it the automatic cars are more expensive compare to manual. I will surely do my test in manual.

Not just that, they're much more expensive to maintain as well. As in mechanic repairs costs way more, insurance costs more, road tax is generally higher, mpg is less so you would be paying more on petrol as well.
Original post by Keon_J
Not just that, they're much more expensive to maintain as well. As in mechanic repairs costs way more, insurance costs more, road tax is generally higher, mpg is less so you would be paying more on petrol as well.

Yep will go for manual. Thanks 👍
Reply 11
Yep will go for manual. Thanks 👍

Let us now how it goes.
Original post by Keon_J
Let us now how it goes.

Just one more question. Is it possible to book for a driving practical test before my theory expires and then when my theory actually expires well i will be taking theory again. But at least i will have the practical test slot already booked as it is hard to get it. Will this work?
Reply 13
Just one more question. Is it possible to book for a driving practical test before my theory expires and then when my theory actually expires well i will be taking theory again. But at least i will have the practical test slot already booked as it is hard to get it. Will this work?

I'm not sure about that myself unfortunately. But I would assume it wouldn't let you book a practical test date that is after your theory expiration date if that makes sense?!
Original post by Keon_J
I'm not sure about that myself unfortunately. But I would assume it wouldn't let you book a practical test date that is after your theory expiration date if that makes sense?!

Dats okay. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending