STUDY DILEMMA: I'm currently getting BBC in A-levels Thread don't know how to improve

Watch this thread
jubnatan
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
so basically I got BBC (bio, psych and chem) in my last mocks in December and in topic tests at school I am getting like around 50% in all my subjects. I know why this is the case, it's not that I don't have the ability to understand difficult concepts but that I have had a bad work ethic and I had not made studying a habit from the beginning of Year 12. But instead I would just do the homework and do last minute cramming for mocks and topic tests.

My predicted grades are 3 As, and I would like to get at least this if not higher if it is possible.

I have made a revision timetable but I am finding it a challenge to study everyday and I think this is because although people say that I lack confidence and do not believe in myself I think it is not that but that I do not put in the effort because I have always disappointed myself in the past when I have set goals, so I don't try because I know by default that my bad habits will let me down. I wish that I had the power hindsight so that future me in August could tell me right now what to do so that I can get at least 3 As. I am the first person in my family to go to university or even do A-levels so no one in my family can help me out, I wished that I had a mentor or someone who has been through a similar scenario so that they could tell me what to do( equivalent of the future me basically), but no one seems to care to the extent I want them to.

I feel like I have just left it too late, because I have not done any serious revision uptill recently or made any kind of revision resources like proper notes and flashcards ( I have notes from class), and making studying a habit now is challenging.

My current revision timetable is like this: I am turning my bio textbook into flashcards on anki then doing some eqs on topics I have revised (and making sure I know the advanced topics inside and out as I am going through the spec).Then for chemistry and psychology I am using this thing called Uplearn where I watch videos to understand all the content ( the videos include questions in them as well so it is not as passive). And as I watch the videos I am making qs on anki so that I have something to test myself later for future revision. Followed by a handful of exam qs for Chemistry, I don't bother with psychology as much other than the advanced topics.

My plan is to cover 90% of all the spec for all my subjects before my second mocks starts which is on the 18th of March. Then from then onwards I was going to do a past paper or 2 a day, then leave a day to work on the weak topics from those past papers. I have also assigned a topic from the 'advanced info' they have given us to a past paper so that I can revise them too. If I do all the papers from 2016-2021 including specimen papers, leaving a day in between each to work on weaknesses this takes me up to the end of April. Then we are left with a month to my first exam, and from then on I am just planning to blurt as much as the spec from memory, and re-do past papers I didn't do so well on, work on weaker areas and do harder qs/qs I kept getting wrong.

So yea ... I'm really stressed because I don't want to fail... no one else is willing to listen to my problems so I have resorted to the internet

Also, I might just keep this thread as a diary and accountability of what I have done and then what grades I end up getting.
Last edited by jubnatan; 5 months ago
wifd149
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
Took biology and chemistry previously. Long story short; open book past years, understanding the mark schemes and syllabi/specifications, and I have this tendency to classify questions as A* questions, A questions, B questions and work my way up (very subjective, I guess).

It's not too late to revise and relearn everything, so don't worry about that aspect too much in my opinion.

Work day by day and review how did your session went, that way you know what works for you and how to improve yourself.

All the best
jubnatan
Rep:
(Original post by wifd149)
Took biology and chemistry previously. Long story short; open book past years, understanding the mark schemes and syllabi/specifications, and I have this tendency to classify questions as A* questions, A questions, B questions and work my way up (very subjective, I guess).

It's not too late to revise and relearn everything, so don't worry about that aspect too much in my opinion.

Work day by day and review how did your session went, that way you know what works for you and how to improve yourself.

All the best
thank you
jubnatan
Rep:
(Original post by wifd149)

All the best
when would it be too late?
jubnatan
Rep:
wifd149
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by jubnatan)
Start as soon as you can mate
jubnatan
Rep:
can people please reply to this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (18)
30.51%
Take a gap year (14)
23.73%
Resit my exams (9)
15.25%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (8)
13.56%
I don't know yet (7)
11.86%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
5.08%

Watched Threads