The Student Room Group

EPQ help!

Hi!
So for my epq i have written an essay
So far I have finished all main body paragraphs but i am now on the introduction/conclusion
I haven’t written a proper essay since GCSE’s so im a little rusty on how to write an intro
So I was just wondering if anyone has any tips to make sure my intro sounds scientific and well written (and how to avoid it sounding boring)

For context:
- my epq is on marijuana and how it can be used as a therapeutic drug
- i want to focus my intro on how marijuana is involved in the ECS and then i want to introduce my essay
- for my schl, we start epq’s in y13 rather than y12 and the deadline is end of march so i need to get this intro done quickly
- also just wondering if anyone has any general tips to get an A* as i have worked rlly hard on this epq and I want it to show through my grade
Original post by Immaculatevibes
Hi!
So far I have finished all main body paragraphs but i am now on the introduction/conclusion
I haven’t written a proper essay since GCSE’s so im a little rusty on how to write an intro
So I was just wondering if anyone has any tips to make sure my intro sounds scientific and well written (and how to avoid it sounding boring)

For context:
- i want to focus my intro on how marijuana is involved in the ECS and then i want to introduce my essay
- for my schl, we start epq’s in y13 rather than y12 and the deadline is end of march so i need to get this intro done quickly
- also just wondering if anyone has any general tips to get an A* as i have worked rlly hard on this epq and I want it to show through my grade

The intro has to explain the question and walk you through the essay. as I am an achieved applicant, am I able to share my EPQ?
Original post by _Rusty_
The intro has to explain the question and walk you through the essay. @ecolier as I am an achieved applicant, am I able to share my EPQ?

Thanks for the reply!
So how long should i keep the intro roughly (in words)? Because i am behind on my word count, i am on 300 and i need 5000 so i was wondering if i wrote 500 words for an intro would that be too long?
Thanks for the reply!
So how long should i keep the intro roughly (in words)? Because i am behind on my word count, i am on 300 and i need 5000 so i was wondering if i wrote 500 words for an intro would that be too long?

I thought you said you had finished all of your paragraphs? Write as much as you can, the limits are more of a guide
Original post by _Rusty_
I thought you said you had finished all of your paragraphs? Write as much as you can, the limits are more of a guide

Yup main body paragraphs are done but intro/conc are not
Ahh ok, so i shouldn’t focus too much on word count?
Hi!

For context:

An introduction should outline your discussion, and the conclusion should be what you have found from your research + discussion. In your intro, you could include why you think the discussion is important, e.g. X% of the population have a condition that could potentially be improved through the use of marijuana (citation). In terms of getting A*, it's more about the citations and production log than it is about the actual essay. In your production log, you need to show good reflection for an A*, I got A* in HPQ (same as EPQ but 2,000 words), then an A in EPQ because I rushed my production log. My supervisor said my essay was amazing, but the production log was the reason I couldn't get A*. Cite and review al your sources, arrange frequent meeting with your supervisor and keep your production log up to date. Best of luck!
Yup main body paragraphs are done but intro/conc are not
Ahh ok, so i shouldn’t focus too much on word count?

Not really, get around 5000 words and you'll be grand. @bea_murray0 is right about the intro. I did what she did. The only extra thing I did was talk the reader through my question because it had an inherent dichotomy
Original post by bea_murray0
An introduction should outline your discussion, and the conclusion should be what you have found from your research + discussion. In your intro, you could include why you think the discussion is important, e.g. X% of the population have a condition that could potentially be improved through the use of marijuana (citation). In terms of getting A*, it's more about the citations and production log than it is about the actual essay. In your production log, you need to show good reflection for an A*, I got A* in HPQ (same as EPQ but 2,000 words), then an A in EPQ because I rushed my production log. My supervisor said my essay was amazing, but the production log was the reason I couldn't get A*. Cite and review al your sources, arrange frequent meeting with your supervisor and keep your production log up to date. Best of luck!

Thank you!
Oh wow i didn’t realise how important all the other stuff was!
So for the introduction, can i use words like ‘I think’ or ‘I believe’ and sort of make it more personal so that i can explore/discuss my topic idea? I once had a meeting with my supervisor and she said to avoid doing this for my main body paragraphs because it is a scientific essay not a normal essay however i am struggling with avoiding this in the intro, so would you say that i can use it in the intro?
Also in terms of the time plan, i have structured it to talk about what i did that day, how it went, and then i reflected on how i felt about my progress so far. I’m hoping that would be a good thing for the epq as it shows my journey to completing it, so hopefully that will aid in me getting an A*.

Original post by _Rusty_
Not really, get around 5000 words and you'll be grand. @bea_murray0 is right about the intro. I did what she did. The only extra thing I did was talk the reader through my question because it had an inherent dichotomy

Ah brilliant, thank you so much for the help. I am feeling more confident in writing the intro !!
Thank you!
Oh wow i didn’t realise how important all the other stuff was!
So for the introduction, can i use words like ‘I think’ or ‘I believe’ and sort of make it more personal so that i can explore/discuss my topic idea? I once had a meeting with my supervisor and she said to avoid doing this for my main body paragraphs because it is a scientific essay not a normal essay however i am struggling with avoiding this in the intro, so would you say that i can use it in the intro?
Also in terms of the time plan, i have structured it to talk about what i did that day, how it went, and then i reflected on how i felt about my progress so far. I’m hoping that would be a good thing for the epq as it shows my journey to completing it, so hopefully that will aid in me getting an A*.

Ah brilliant, thank you so much for the help. I am feeling more confident in writing the intro !!

I avoided using the first person, and I would listen to your supervisor. Here are the first 2 sentences of my intro (my title was 'To what extent is a plant-based future achievable:
"The food system accounts for a quarter of all greenhouse gas emissions (of which 80% are associated with livestock production), while unhealthy diets and obesity are some of the biggest contributors to premature deaths (citation). This suggests there are a number of worldwide problems caused by diet alone, so in order to solve the pressing issues of climate change and mortality due to poor diet, our food system must be changed in some way."
You can see I didn't use 'I' at all ( this is true for the rest of my essay) and instead gave some facts, then went on to give my opinion (that the food system must be changed), using 'this suggests...' rather than 'I believe...'. You can use words like 'suggests' 'perhaps' 'maybe' etc with your opinions to 'soften' them slightly, e.g. rather than "the food system must be changed", "this suggests the food system must be changed". Idk if that makes sense but I think it sounds less angry lol. You can say things like "There is a lot of debate around the use of marijuana for medical purposes, due to its illegal status in UK (fact). However, there is some evidence to suggest it is effective at improving some conditions (fact), so perhaps it is time to increase its applications in a medical setting (opinion)." I don't know much about the topic so obviously that's probably not exactly what you would be writing, but that's the style I used.
Your production log sounds good, keep it up!
Original post by bea_murray0
I avoided using the first person, and I would listen to your supervisor. Here are the first 2 sentences of my intro (my title was 'To what extent is a plant-based future achievable:
"The food system accounts for a quarter of all greenhouse gas emissions (of which 80% are associated with livestock production), while unhealthy diets and obesity are some of the biggest contributors to premature deaths (citation). This suggests there are a number of worldwide problems caused by diet alone, so in order to solve the pressing issues of climate change and mortality due to poor diet, our food system must be changed in some way."
You can see I didn't use 'I' at all ( this is true for the rest of my essay) and instead gave some facts, then went on to give my opinion (that the food system must be changed), using 'this suggests...' rather than 'I believe...'. You can use words like 'suggests' 'perhaps' 'maybe' etc with your opinions to 'soften' them slightly, e.g. rather than "the food system must be changed", "this suggests the food system must be changed". Idk if that makes sense but I think it sounds less angry lol. You can say things like "There is a lot of debate around the use of marijuana for medical purposes, due to its illegal status in UK (fact). However, there is some evidence to suggest it is effective at improving some conditions (fact), so perhaps it is time to increase its applications in a medical setting (opinion)." I don't know much about the topic so obviously that's probably not exactly what you would be writing, but that's the style I used.
Your production log sounds good, keep it up!

Oh my god, u are amazing

Thank you so much for ur help!!
Oh my god, u are amazing

Thank you so much for ur help!!

No problem, glad I could help. Good luck!
Ok I wont risk it then, thanks. Is the interview question part directed at me?
Phew I knew I didnt but I had a NDA scare on the St Andrews thread so Im a bit more nervous now. Id say you know more than a 'bit' :lol:
Reply 13
Use academic language throughout. You can Google how to do this.
You could consider an abstract too...say 200 words.
Original post by Cote1
Use academic language throughout. You can Google how to do this.
You could consider an abstract too...say 200 words.

Thank you!
I have heard of an abstract, but i have no idea what it is or what it is used for
I was thinking of asking my supervisor on whether to do this, so thank you for reminding me ahaha
I

Quick Reply