The Student Room Group

English lit and language! Help!!!

Hi Guys, I'm going to be sitting my GCSEs this year and I have no idea of how to structure questions for English and what to say! Any help/advice/resources would be great! Thank you so much!
Mr Salles on YT got me from a 5 to an 8. I suggest you check out his videos.
Reply 2
Original post by AMissionFromGod
Mr Salles on YT got me from a 5 to an 8. I suggest you check out his videos.

Thank you so much!
Reply 3
Original post by chai2k6
Hi Guys, I'm going to be sitting my GCSEs this year and I have no idea of how to structure questions for English and what to say! Any help/advice/resources would be great! Thank you so much!

hii, there's some information on this google doc that may help!! for english lit make sure to think carefully about what you want to say and don't try and do too much in the time, you're better off doing an introdcution and two well-written paragraphs than three not so good ones. i can also try and explain all the language questions too if you'd find that useful?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XlmYmqGHVlUUNQB1rr6ryY0hGiNbMueazNAWPbRWV7I/edit
Reply 4
Original post by imclx
hii, there's some information on this google doc that may help!! for english lit make sure to think carefully about what you want to say and don't try and do too much in the time, you're better off doing an introdcution and two well-written paragraphs than three not so good ones. i can also try and explain all the language questions too if you'd find that useful?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XlmYmqGHVlUUNQB1rr6ryY0hGiNbMueazNAWPbRWV7I/edit

Thank you so much for the docs link! That would be so helpful if you explain the language questions! Thank you once again!
Reply 5
Original post by chai2k6
Thank you so much for the docs link! That would be so helpful if you explain the language questions! Thank you once again!

paper 1
q1 - this is where you write down four things from the section of text it states, they can be very simple things
q2 - you will be given a section to write about the language features of. if you can find a language pattern that's probably the best thing to do and aim for two paragraphs but don't worry if you can only do one if it's detailed.
q3 - tracking the structure. i personally would pick something from the start, middle and end and use structural terminology to explain who this has been done and the effect it has on the reader
q4 - you get given a statement to write about which normally has two components. you don't have to write about both parts if you don't want to! but make sure to include a counter argument to your judgement
q5 - i tend to write a narrative and honestly i find it easiest to go with the flow whilst writing. i read a lot so that probably helps in that sense but i also like writing from two povs but it needs practice.

paper 2
q1 - you shade in the circles of the correct statements
q2 - you summarise both texts, no language techniques, just summarise. aim for two comparisons
q3 - language question like p1q2 but is worth more marks so write a bit more and go deeper into your analysis, i would recommend two paragraphs
q4 - make sure your comparisons are relevant to the question and if you can intertwine them that would be great
q5 - writing to express your viewpoint. honestly, make this sound natural. because, because, but, so is an easy but very effective structure if you are unsure how to structure it.
Reply 6
Original post by imclx
paper 1
q1 - this is where you write down four things from the section of text it states, they can be very simple things
q2 - you will be given a section to write about the language features of. if you can find a language pattern that's probably the best thing to do and aim for two paragraphs but don't worry if you can only do one if it's detailed.
q3 - tracking the structure. i personally would pick something from the start, middle and end and use structural terminology to explain who this has been done and the effect it has on the reader
q4 - you get given a statement to write about which normally has two components. you don't have to write about both parts if you don't want to! but make sure to include a counter argument to your judgement
q5 - i tend to write a narrative and honestly i find it easiest to go with the flow whilst writing. i read a lot so that probably helps in that sense but i also like writing from two povs but it needs practice.

paper 2
q1 - you shade in the circles of the correct statements
q2 - you summarise both texts, no language techniques, just summarise. aim for two comparisons
q3 - language question like p1q2 but is worth more marks so write a bit more and go deeper into your analysis, i would recommend two paragraphs
q4 - make sure your comparisons are relevant to the question and if you can intertwine them that would be great
q5 - writing to express your viewpoint. honestly, make this sound natural. because, because, but, so is an easy but very effective structure if you are unsure how to structure it.

You are a legend! thank you so much for this! also quick question - do you do level 2 further maths gcse aqa?
Reply 7
Original post by chai2k6
You are a legend! thank you so much for this! also quick question - do you do level 2 further maths gcse aqa?

i do! i'm presuming you do too?
Reply 8
Original post by imclx
i do! i'm presuming you do too?

yes I do! however my school wanted certain people to do it and so I was kind of forced to do it. Do you have any tips/revision resources for it as I have a mock coming up and I haven't covered virtually any of the content.
Reply 9
Original post by chai2k6
yes I do! however my school wanted certain people to do it and so I was kind of forced to do it. Do you have any tips/revision resources for it as I have a mock coming up and I haven't covered virtually any of the content.

yes same!! but i think i'd have chosen to do it anyways. we've also barely covered any of the content but the past papers on drfrostmaths.com are so so useful and you can also just revise specific topics on there as well!! good luck for your mock :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by imclx
yes same!! but i think i'd have chosen to do it anyways. we've also barely covered any of the content but the past papers on drfrostmaths.com are so so useful and you can also just revise specific topics on there as well!! good luck for your mock :smile:

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest