The Student Room Group

UCAS Extra 2022

Hi guys, I haven't seen a thread so far for people hoping to apply for ucas extra this year. This is often a stressful aspect of uni applications that nobody really plans for and all of us anticipating for February 25th to roll around can support each other, answer questions and give advice !!

I'll start, my name is Annalise, I'm a gap year student who wanted to study Law (was second-guessing the course a lot to begin with) however I did not get into my top choice so now I want to look for alternative courses on extra! Really hoping for Kings or UCL to be on extra this time. :smile:

Some ice-breakers if your comfortable in answering of course,

Why did you decide to apply for extra?
What course are you hoping to find, what was your original ucas course?
What unis are you especially looking for in extra?

Hope this helps,

Annalise

Scroll to see replies

Hi thanks for creating this thread!!

I originally applied for Medicine I've received 3 rejections out of 4 but I don't think I'll get an offer for the 4th either. Instead I'm hoping to get into Pharmacy at Lincoln University through UCAS Extra.

Would love to know about other people's situations!
Reply 2
idek what ucas extra is yet lol. applied to medicine, might need it in a few weeks :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Thank you for the reply, however I forgot to mention I’m not applying for medicine in UCAS Extra, but for Accounting / Finance / Economics. It’s unusual, but I’ve applied to medicine twice now, and if I don’t get in, it’s not for me.
I’m hoping to find foundation courses for CS :smile:
Original post by annalise.m
Hi guys, I haven't seen a thread so far for people hoping to apply for ucas extra this year. This is often a stressful aspect of uni applications that nobody really plans for and all of us anticipating for February 25th to roll around can support each other, answer questions and give advice !!

I'll start, my name is Annalise, I'm a gap year student who wanted to study Law (was second-guessing the course a lot to begin with) however I did not get into my top choice so now I want to look for alternative courses on extra! Really hoping for Kings or UCL to be on extra this time. :smile:

Some ice-breakers if your comfortable in answering of course,

Why did you decide to apply for extra?
What course are you hoping to find, what was your original ucas course?
What unis are you especially looking for in extra?

Hope this helps,

Annalise

It is highly unlikely either of these will have many courses in extra
Original post by TheCoolestCat88
I’m hoping to find foundation courses for CS :smile:

same! or any cs course in general. i'll let u know if i find any
I have applied for Psychology at QMUL through UCAS Extra :smile:
I got 3 offers before from different unis for Biomed but I have changed my mind about what course I want to do.
Hoping I get the offer
Reply 8
Original post by zeiii
Hey! I've applied for Psychology and have 5 offers for a course I don't want to do. I'm hoping to get into International relations with Business Management at QMUL.
Good Luck to everyone applying through UCAS Extra!

How do u know what courses are are available before I decide to decline my offers ?
Original post by Shuvx_o
How do u know what courses are are available before I decide to decline my offers ?

Phone likely Unis and ask them.
Help very much needed!

My son has been rejected from Med school (4/4!) but us an offer with Bristol for bio chemistry. He has now changed his mind and wants to apply for medical biochemistry at Leicester. His offer from Bristol was way back in November. Any one any ideas how we go about changing??
Original post by Misshappy134
Help very much needed!

My son has been rejected from Med school (4/4!) but us an offer with Bristol for bio chemistry. He has now changed his mind and wants to apply for medical biochemistry at Leicester. His offer from Bristol was way back in November. Any one any ideas how we go about changing??

He would need to reject his offer and then apply through ucas extra. You cannot ap0ply through extra if you are hoiding an offer.
Original post by KTyagi
Thank you for the reply, however I forgot to mention I’m not applying for medicine in UCAS Extra, but for Accounting / Finance / Economics. It’s unusual, but I’ve applied to medicine twice now, and if I don’t get in, it’s not for me.

Omg I'm in the same position: have you narrowed down which of those you're gonna apply for? I'd really appreciate any advice :smile:
Reply 13
Hey! So I’ve applied to dentistry but it’s really competitive and didn’t get a place as I only applied to 3 universities. I am looking at applying to diagnostic radiography via ucas extra. However my personal statement is all about dentistry. Will that put me at a disadvantage? Also, is diagnostic radiography a competitive degree?

Any help would be appreciated!
You can ask a university whether they will accept a new PS directly. Be warned diagnostic radiography is likely to be oversubscribed and difficult to get into.
Reply 15
Original post by swanseajack1
You can ask a university whether they will accept a new PS directly. Be warned diagnostic radiography is likely to be oversubscribed and difficult to get into.

Thanks for your reply!

Is there any other similar courses that aren’t as popular? I know physiotherapy is really competitive too. Any advice?
Swansea University offer a range of courses in their Medical school which are usually available in clearing. These courses are probably available elsewhere as well. I know in the past people have been applying for diagnosttic radiotherapy and coming oon here having been rejected with grades above the requirement which is why I told you. There have been students on here rejected for Physiotherapy this year..
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/

Bristol sometimes offer these to medical students who dont get in but I dont know whether they are full
https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2022/cellular-molecular/bsc-cancer-biology-immunology/
https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2022/cellular-molecular/bsc-cellular-molecular/
Reply 17
Original post by swanseajack1
Swansea University offer a range of courses in their Medical school which are usually available in clearing. These courses are probably available elsewhere as well. I know in the past people have been applying for diagnosttic radiotherapy and coming oon here having been rejected with grades above the requirement which is why I told you. There have been students on here rejected for Physiotherapy this year..
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/

Bristol sometimes offer these to medical students who dont get in but I dont know whether they are full
https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2022/cellular-molecular/bsc-cancer-biology-immunology/
https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2022/cellular-molecular/bsc-cellular-molecular/

Yeah I am aware all healthcare degrees are extremely competitive. Thank You for your advice.
Reply 18
Original post by ZA753
Thanks for your reply!

Is there any other similar courses that aren’t as popular? I know physiotherapy is really competitive too. Any advice?

Try nursing as that’s very similar
do you guys know if there are any computer science courses available ?

Quick Reply

Latest