The Student Room Group

can I get A*A* A in 3 months if I work incredibly hard?

I'm Currently getting BBC in bio, psych and chem (the C in chem). If I work super super hard could I get an A* in bio and psych and an A in chem?
Better idea could be to get off social media and do some work?
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Better idea could be to get off social media and do some work?

that's true.
Reply 3
Original post by jubnatan
that's true.

What he said, but I’m not too sure about an A*, at least personally for me, because you’ll have school to attend (assuming) which may be useful, may not be. I certainly preferred to work independently. In three months, I believe you could organise your time efficiently enough to fit in the specification and past papers to achieve A’s.
I'm Currently getting BBC in bio, psych and chem (the C in chem). If I work super super hard could I get an A* in bio and psych and an A in chem?

It sounds close to impossible, but you can always try. :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by 5hyl33n
It sounds close to impossible, but you can always try. :smile:

Good luck!

yea I'm gonna try my best
BBC grades are required to do a 3 or 6 month intensive A-Level course at CIFE independent private 'crammer' colleges. All they do with their 1,000 candidates or so each year is to work through past papers, study the mark schemes and examiners reports as well. Also, you must consolidate the concepts. :wink: So it is possible if you work 8 hours a day. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by thegeek888
BBC grades are required to do a 3 or 6 month intensive A-Level course at CIFE independent private 'crammer' colleges. All they do with their 1,000 candidates or so each year is to work through past papers, study the mark schemes and examiners reports as well. Also, you must consolidate the concepts. :wink: So it is possible if you work 8 hours a day. :smile:

i'm willing to work 16 hours a day if I can get those grades
yea I'm gonna try my best

have some faith in yourself as well, by considering that grade boundaries will be lower in that it will be a midpoint between 2019 and 2021.
Of course don't rely solely on this information - hard work determines the grades.

Also suggest using this technique for revision and memorising concepts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrNqSLPaZLc&list=LL&index=1&t=23s
It’s unlikely, but It also depends on why you’ve been getting BBC. If it’s due to lack of revision and ‘winging’ all your mocks and assessments so far, then you might be able to bump up each grade to AAB (or even AAA could be realistic).

In general though, getting A* at A Level by sitting official exams is difficult and shouldn’t be underestimated. Getting good at exam technique is a major factor that differentiates people who know their stuff (I.e. A/B students) and people who know how to play the exam game (A* students).
Original post by Mesopotamian.
It’s unlikely, but It also depends on why you’ve been getting BBC. If it’s due to lack of revision and ‘winging’ all your mocks and assessments so far, then you might be able to bump up each grade to AAB (or even AAA could be realistic).

In general though, getting A* at A Level by sitting official exams is difficult and shouldn’t be underestimated. Getting good at exam technique is a major factor that differentiates people who know their stuff (I.e. A/B students) and people who know how to play the exam game (A* students).

Can you elaborate on understanding the exam technique?
Original post by McDonaldsEmploy
Can you elaborate on understanding the exam technique?

I think this is more relevant for some subjects more than others. For example, maths - you either have the correct answer with the working or you don’t.
However, for a subject like biology, you can know all the content and regurgitate it beautifully in an exam, but if you don’t use the key phrases and terms that is present in the mark scheme, you’re unlikely to get all (or even any) of the marks. Ultimately, exam technique is knowing what the examiner (or the mark scheme rather) wants you to write.

I can’t speak for humanities subjects as I did only science and maths at A Level.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12
I think this is more relevant for some subjects more than others. For example, maths - you either have the correct answer with the working or you don’t.
However, for a subject like biology, you can know all the content and regurgitate it beautifully in an exam, but if you don’t use the key phrases and terms that is present in the mark scheme, you’re unlikely to get all (or even any) of the marks. Ultimately, exam technique is knowing what the examiner (or the mark scheme rather) wants you to write.

I can’t speak for humanities subjects as I did only science and maths at A Level.

I do chem and bio and psych. So if I do all the past papers available that could improve my exam technique
I do chem and bio and psych. So if I do all the past papers available that could improve my exam technique

Yes, but you have to use the mark scheme to aid your learning rather than just checking to see if you got the marks or not.
Reply 14
Yes, but you have to use the mark scheme to aid your learning rather than just checking to see if you got the marks or not.

that's right
Reply 15

and yea I have been just winging my exams so far like you said

Quick Reply

Latest