The Student Room Group

Do I have a learning difficulty, autism or am I just unintelligent or lazy?

I am aware that internet diagnosis is not correct and I am not self diagnosing.
My symptoms are strange because I am actually quite energetic. I wake up at 5AM but I never get anything done. I have tried sleeping a lot too but that makes it worse. I struggle to study. I tried removing distractions like phone, social media and I also tried keeping distractions, either way I cannot study. I will get a migraine or headache and even when I don't I will still be unable to study. It's like my mind will go blank. Other times I will be close to studying but evil thoughts will come into my head and to get rid of the thoughts I will just close my laptop and textbook because they are too horrific. When I put the laptop and textbooks away I get instant relief and don't get bad thoughts. My focus and concentration is extremely low. My memory is quite bad too. My memory and focus have been poor since primary school. I don't know what to do. I am not sure what is wrong with me.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dreamsturnblue
My symptoms are strange because I am actually quite energetic. I wake up at 5AM but I never get anything done. I have tried sleeping a lot too but that makes it worse. I struggle to study. I tried removing distractions like phone, social media and I also tried keeping distractions, either way I cannot study. I will get a migraine or headache and even when I don't I will still be unable to study. It's like my mind will go blank. Other times I will be close to studying but evil thoughts will come into my head and to get rid of the thoughts I will just close my laptop and textbook because they are too horrific. When I put the laptop and textbooks away I get instant relief and don't get bad thoughts. My focus and concentration is extremely low. My memory is quite bad too. My memory and focus have been poor since primary school. I don't know what to do. I am not sure what is wrong with me.

I would suggest seeing your GP

Study for what? How old are you? It sounds like you are putting yourself under a lot of stress, getting up at 5am to study.
Please post your opinion of a similar condition (I am not self diagnosing or online diagnosing ) to the question .

I need to be aware of what I am suffering from because my parents are starting to ask questions about my grades and performance and the truth is I cannot continue education. I wanted to be educated and I have confidence but I am unable to.
Please post your opinion of a similar condition (I am not self diagnosing or online diagnosing ) to the question .

I need to be aware of what I am suffering from because my parents are starting to ask questions about my grades and performance and the truth is I cannot continue education. I wanted to be educated and I have confidence but I am unable to.

The only person who would be able to know for sure is a professional, if your parents are asking questions about your performance, then be honest and explain what you are going through.
Original post by Anonymous
Study for what? How old are you? It sounds like you are putting yourself under a lot of stress, getting up at 5am to study.

I have tried getting up at 8 o'clock, 7 o'clock and 6 o'clock and I find I have the most concentration waking up at 5AM. I can run and walk for 2 hours but I cannot study even though I try because I will get a headache or migraine or in my mind I will get evil thoughts and it will stop me. This is ongoing and very strange I have no idea what is wrong with me.
You are very unlikely to have learning difficulties based on your level of literacy and the fact that you don’t mention finding it difficult to learn new things.

I use to be in a similar position to you but not as serious, I’d get intense headaches during studying Aswell as lack of focus during studying. Procrastinating was a big part too but it wasn’t like I didn’t want to do it. I wanted to get it done but physically wasn’t possible. The thing was I’d overthink and stress myself out, not sure about your situation though but I hope I could make you feel less alone? Even now whenever I think about studying I get anxious and sick sometimes, however I think I found a way to tackle it. Although i haven’t made it a routine yet but I’ve found that I’ll give myself just 5 minutes, reading the content, no stress, write a few notes, try understand the topic. Take small steps at a time, no need to rush or overwhelm urself with long periods of studying. Cutting them down shorter into 20 minutes then a break after could work perhaps for you. Wouldn’t hurt to try
Original post by Anonymous
I use to be in a similar position to you but not as serious, I’d get intense headaches during studying Aswell as lack of focus during studying. Procrastinating was a big part too but it wasn’t like I didn’t want to do it. I wanted to get it done but physically wasn’t possible. The thing was I’d overthink and stress myself out, not sure about your situation though but I hope I could make you feel less alone? Even now whenever I think about studying I get anxious and sick sometimes, however I think I found a way to tackle it. Although i haven’t made it a routine yet but I’ve found that I’ll give myself just 5 minutes, reading the content, no stress, write a few notes, try understand the topic. Take small steps at a time, no need to rush or overwhelm urself with long periods of studying. Cutting them down shorter into 20 minutes then a break after could work perhaps for you. Wouldn’t hurt to try

Thanks for the tips
This condition could be ADHD,.
I know about this condition because my daughter has it.
Simply put because of a lack of certain chemicals in the brain your brain will have a problem with concentration and focus.

When you enter a room it will be like you have 20 tvs on and you cannot focus only on one and screen the others out.

You will feel constantly bombarded mentally and overwhelmed.
You may often have sleep problems where you wake up and feel that your mind is full on like you have already been working 12 hours.
This is completely involuntary.
In childhood you may have constantly got into trouble for hyperactivity or lack of concentration.
You may constantly start things and not complete them or lose items and may generally be considered shambolic.

Often those who have ADHD may have other conditions that affect learning.

My daughter has a type of dyslexia linked to memory.

However when she takes her ADHD medication the problem is temporarily resolved.

Her medication is a great help.
You will have to ask your GP for a referral to mental health to get tested.

Meanwhile look up the condition on YouTube as they have great videos on this condition.
Original post by LouiseRu
Simply put because of a lack of certain chemicals in the brain your brain will have a problem with

But that’s not true, there isn’t the evidence to say that ADHD is caused by a chemical imbalance.
Original post by LouiseRu
This condition could be ADHD,.
I know about this condition because my daughter has it.
Simply put because of a lack of certain chemicals in the brain your brain will have a problem with concentration and focus.

When you enter a room it will be like you have 20 tvs on and you cannot focus only on one and screen the others out.

You will feel constantly bombarded mentally and overwhelmed.
You may often have sleep problems where you wake up and feel that your mind is full on like you have already been working 12 hours.
This is completely involuntary.
In childhood you may have constantly got into trouble for hyperactivity or lack of concentration.
You may constantly start things and not complete them or lose items and may generally be considered shambolic.

Often those who have ADHD may have other conditions that affect learning.

My daughter has a type of dyslexia linked to memory.

However when she takes her ADHD medication the problem is temporarily resolved.

Her medication is a great help.
You will have to ask your GP for a referral to mental health to get tested.

Meanwhile look up the condition on YouTube as they have great videos on this condition.

Thanks for the advice. I believe ADHD is diagnosed in children aged 5-12 however I am an adult.
What is the type of dyslexia linked to memory called?
I have tried getting up at 8 o'clock, 7 o'clock and 6 o'clock and I find I have the most concentration waking up at 5AM. I can run and walk for 2 hours but I cannot study even though I try because I will get a headache or migraine or in my mind I will get evil thoughts and it will stop me. This is ongoing and very strange I have no idea what is wrong with me.

How old are you? What are you studying for? I'd say don't do it if you don't actually want to do it and have to force yourself to do
Original post by Cancelled Alice
But that’s not true, there isn’t the evidence to say that ADHD is caused by a chemical imbalance.

I think the general concensus in the medical community is that ADHD is caused by disregulation of dopamine and dopamine receptors in the brain, and dopamine is technically a chemical messanger. The reason that stimulant medications ease symptoms of ADHD is because they can help regulate dopamine levels and messanger pathways associated with the regulation of dopamine.
You are very unlikely to have learning difficulties based on your level of literacy and the fact that you don’t mention finding it difficult to learn new things.

I struggle to learn things and I can't focus. Some days a migraine or headache will ruin my schedule. I do have problems with walking and being unable to stay seated at the desk. Sitting down at the desk is physically painful. Other times I finally get and sit down and prepare everything and finally study I will get terrible and evil thoughts when studying so I just stop and I cannot continue. The thoughts subside. The thoughts are usually just gruesome images of blood, the brain, muscles, intestines, human bodies parts, dirt, poop, genital places. Other times a voice repeatedly says you will die soon there is no need to study. Other times my mind says you will lose a limb or be disabled so I get scared and walk around. Sometimes I get unwanted thoughts that I am actually a liar and I am actually gay (I respect all LGBT but I am not gay). I will get thoughts that I will turn into the other gender sometimes (I am not transgender). Other thoughts that happen is that I am dirty and evil. The thoughts do not stop unless I don't study and only then do the thoughts go away. Sometimes I see wires and they look like snakes. These thoughts and hallucinations only happen when I want to study. I am an adult yet I am acting in a pathetic way and like a child.
I struggle to learn things and I can't focus. Some days a migraine or headache will ruin my schedule. I do have problems with walking and being unable to stay seated at the desk. Sitting down at the desk is physically painful. Other times I finally get and sit down and prepare everything and finally study I will get terrible and evil thoughts when studying so I just stop and I cannot continue. The thoughts subside. The thoughts are usually just gruesome images of blood, the brain, muscles, intestines, human bodies parts, dirt, poop, genital places. Other times a voice repeatedly says you will die soon there is no need to study. Other times my mind says you will lose a limb or be disabled so I get scared and walk around. Sometimes I get unwanted thoughts that I am actually a liar and I am actually gay (I respect all LGBT but I am not gay). I will get thoughts that I will turn into the other gender sometimes (I am not transgender). Other thoughts that happen is that I am dirty and evil. The thoughts do not stop unless I don't study and only then do the thoughts go away. Sometimes I see wires and they look like snakes. These thoughts and hallucinations only happen when I want to study. I am an adult yet I am acting in a pathetic way and like a child.

After reading this, I would strongly suggest that you see a GP on the basis of mental health - you could mention disturbing intrusive thoughts, lack of focus, and hallucinations. However, it is important to understand that these things are not your fault and that you already have great self awareness to identify these feelings and thoughts.
Original post by NTRspark
After reading this, I would strongly suggest that you see a GP on the basis of mental health - you could mention disturbing intrusive thoughts, lack of focus, and hallucinations. However, it is important to understand that these things are not your fault and that you already have great self awareness to identify these feelings and thoughts.

I don't get those thoughts every day. Only on the days when I study for a few hours. Other days I get a headache or migraine which ruins any progress.
When I don't study I am perfectly fine, healthy and happy.
I don't get those thoughts every day. Only on the days when I study for a few hours.
When I don't study I am perfectly fine, healthy and happy.

Perhaps then take regular breaks from study, but I would still recommend going to see a professional

Sounds like a mental health problem to be honest. You should see your GP. I know you aren’t a bad person.
Sounds like a mental health problem to be honest. You should see your GP. I know you aren’t a bad person.

Are those symptoms linked to autism?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending