The Student Room Group

Pathway to Software Engineer

Does anyone know the qualifications needed to become a software engineer?

Is a BSc (Hons) in Digital & Technology Solutions acquired through a degree apprenticeship with KPMG sufficient?
Original post by snollygoster
Does anyone know the qualifications needed to become a software engineer?

Is a BSc (Hons) in Digital & Technology Solutions acquired through a degree apprenticeship with KPMG sufficient?

Yes absolutely! It is the degree apprenticeship specifically designed by the government to train a competent software engineer. And it is the pathway that is being used by some of the biggest employers to train their software engineers - JP Morgan, Lockheed Martin, BBC, Siemens, Amazon, BT, Shell, MI5 etc.

The title itself is not particularly good but the degree itself is certainly sufficient.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Hoc est Bellum
Yes absolutely! It is the degree apprenticeship specifically designed by the government to train a competent software engineer. And it is the pathway that is being used by some of the biggest employers to train their software engineers - JP Morgan, Lockheed Martin, BBC, Siemens, Amazon, BT, Shell, MI5 etc.

The title itself is not particularly good but the degree itself is certainly sufficient.

What do you mean when you say that the title is not particularly good?
Reply 3
Original post by akang

Not commenter but I think its just that theres a certain "prestige" attached to having a Computer Science degree vs a degree in Digital and Technology Solutions. Esp since DTS degrees are much less well known than CS
Some people make the argument that an employer would be put off by seeing DTS on a CV and would rather have a CS graduate. Idk how true that is but I'm sure you could find employers who don't care about it and employers who do
Original post by akang

BSc (Hons) Digital and Technology Solutions doesn't carry as much weight as say BSc (Hons) Computer Science. I personally don't particularly mind but it is sometimes annoying as the title can play down the quality of the degree. I think as apprenticeships become more established, this will change though.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest