The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Entry to read Classical Civilisation

My daughter is her first year of Alevels studying Classical Civilisation, Art and photography. She is about to drop History. She is wanting to read Classics at Exeter. Do you think she will get in with those Alevels as photography and Art might be too similar subjects? Thanks for your help
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm not sure about your daughter's circumstances specifically in terms of which course she wants to do, but I had a look at Exeter's Classics BA, and it says that a typical offer is an AAA-AAB, with a required B in either Latin, Greek, or Classical Greek. This could change, but as of right now it looks like those A-levels wouldn't get her into that particular course even if she didn't drop History. I searched around a couple more unis and many do require Greek or Latin but some don't.

But I looked at Exeter's Classical Studies BA, and there aren't any required subjects. I'd maybe do a bit more research into the specific course she wants to do as Exeter seems to have a lot. If she wants to do the Classics BA those subjects apparently won't work though.
(edited 2 years ago)
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Other than the above clarification about classics vs classical civ, for Exeter it probably won't make a difference. For e.g. Oxbridge, UCL, or Edinburgh and their ilk it may be more of an issue, more due to lack of traditionally academic subjects assessed primarily by final unseen exam.

I would note that the style of history is probably closer to a classics (or classical civ) degree than either art or photography. If she prefers those subjects perhaps she should explore creative arts degree options instead/as well?
Reply 3
Original post by RainingRain
I'm not sure about your daughter's circumstances specifically in terms of which course she wants to do, but I had a look at Exeter's Classics BA, and it says that a typical offer is an AAA-AAB, with a required B in either Latin, Greek, or Classical Greek. This could change, but as of right now it looks like those A-levels wouldn't get her into that particular course even if she didn't drop History. I searched around a couple more unis and many do require Greek or Latin but some don't.

But I looked at Exeter's Classical Studies BA, and there aren't any required subjects. I'd maybe do a bit more research into the specific course she wants to do as Exeter seems to have a lot. If she wants to do the Classics BA those subjects apparently won't work though.

Thank you for your reply, it’s helpful
I got an offer from Exeter last October and my subjects are also similar (classical civilisation, history, eng lit) albeit all linked to classics in some way. I think as long as she writes a banging classics personal statement and does well in the subject, there is no reason Exeter wouldn’t offer a place. For context I also got offers from kings (for classical studies) and UCL (classical archaeology and classical civilisation) so far. If she’s applying for the classics course, as someone above mentioned, she needs Greek and/or Latin but classical studies will be fine. I applied with a year abroad (perhaps that helped in some way) and got an offer the day after my application was sent - she will be just fine.

If she is really hooked on classics rather than classical studies, both Edinburgh and kings (perhaps more but those are the two I applied to) offer a conversion course where you do classical studies in your first year and then transfer to classics in the second years so you leave with a classics degree. I’d encourage her to think about other classics options too - for example I’m going to do classical archaeology and classical civilisations at UCL in September which is more archaeology than literature or language based. Hope this helps.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mollymax
My daughter is her first year of Alevels studying Classical Civilisation, Art and photography. She is about to drop History. She is wanting to read Classics at Exeter. Do you think she will get in with those Alevels as photography and Art might be too similar subjects? Thanks for your help

As other users have said, she'll need a language for Exeter. She could consider Ancient History or Classical Studies instead, or look at universities which don't require a language beforehand, such as Liverpool.
Reply 6
Original post by jessssiee
I got an offer from Exeter last October and my subjects are also similar (classical civilisation, history, eng lit) albeit all linked to classics in some way. I think as long as she writes a banging classics personal statement and does well in the subject, there is no reason Exeter wouldn’t offer a place. For context I also got offers from kings (for classical studies) and UCL (classical archaeology and classical civilisation) so far. If she’s applying for the classics course, as someone above mentioned, she needs Greek and/or Latin but classical studies will be fine. I applied with a year abroad (perhaps that helped in some way) and got an offer the day after my application was sent - she will be just fine.

If she is really hooked on classics rather than classical studies, both Edinburgh and kings (perhaps more but those are the two I applied to) offer a conversion course where you do classical studies in your first year and then transfer to classics in the second years so you leave with a classics degree. I’d encourage her to think about other classics options too - for example I’m going to do classical archaeology and classical civilisations at UCL in September which is more archaeology than literature or language based. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much, yes this is very helpful x
Original post by jessssiee

Original post by Mollymax
Thank you so much, yes this is very helpful x

Just to follow on from these, if you are interested in the language side of things Oxford and Cambridge both have routes for those without the languages, and UCL ancient languages in principle does not require either language (albeit, you only start with one, and you also have to study biblical Hebrew throughout the course). Some of the joint honours courses with the classics department also don't require the language e.g. Greek & Philosophy I believe doesn't require either.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending