The Student Room Group

How many languages can you speak in?

Three, and counting. I'm currently learning how to speak in German, and Italian is next on the list.

Scroll to see replies

two
One.
5: English , Telugu , French , Tamil and Hindi
Depends how fluent you're talking about.

English of course
French to a high level (I have a CertHE in French)
Spanish moderately (I have an A Level in Spanish)
Italian I have a GCSE grade A in but I actually can't remember a single word
Polish I've dabbled with on and off over the years but I truly suck at it - although I know more in Polish than I do in Italian.
And you'd be amazed how much Korean I've picked up from the TV!

I'm starting Latin in October.
(edited 2 years ago)
Bilingual in English and Cantonese.
Been learning French on and off for several years now (I do have a GCSE in it though)
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Bilingual in English and Cantonese.
Been learning French on and off for several years now (I do have a GCSE in it though)

U from Hong Kong?
Original post by Bang Outta Order
U from Hong Kong?

My parents are but i'm not
One. The best language there is. :u:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Reply 9
One (and a half)
(edited 2 years ago)
Two
I saw an old thread about thinking in other languages - if you speak multiple languages, do you naturally think in any that aren't your mother tongue? I think in German sometimes or come up with the German word instead of the English. Really confusing when you're writing a paper and there isn't actually an exact English equivalent.
(edited 2 years ago)
I can speak 3 languages atm (Arabic, Swahili and English)
Three fluently, a few more to various levels

Original post by penguingirl18
I saw an old thread about thinking in other languages - if you speak multiple languages, do you naturally think in any that aren't your mother tongue? I think in German sometimes or come up with the German word instead of the English. Really confusing when you're writing a paper and there isn't actually an exact English equivalent.

yeah, I often think in a language that is not my mother tongue
Oooh, I love languages! :smile: I'm fluent in Welsh and English. I used to speak some Irish but I haven't spoken it in a long time now. Same with Arabic. I'm also fairly proficient in French and modern Greek, and I'm currently attempting to learn German.
I am a native English speaker. I did French AS, so I can understand and speak it to a semi-proficient level.
English
Kurdish
Persian
And currently learning French. After french I’m hoping to learn Italian.
Wow you lot!! Really impressive and I'm a tad jealous. I would love to learn a new language and I should really especially because I love watching foreign films. Maybe one day🤷🏻*♀️
Original post by WILLOWTREE98
Wow you lot!! Really impressive and I'm a tad jealous. I would love to learn a new language and I should really especially because I love watching foreign films. Maybe one day🤷🏻*♀️

Yeah same. For now, I'll settle with speaking straight fax tho.
Original post by Popsdonut
5: English , Telugu , French , Tamil and Hindi

Very talented! :smile:

Quick Reply