The Student Room Group

AMBS - Global MBA Manchester

Hi all,

I am currently researching for a suitable part-time distance MBA. I came across Manchester Business School and from my research, it seems to be a good option. I have looked at Warwick, Manchester-Kelley, MIT Sloan, and quite a few others but for the price, rating, and overall quality I am leaning towards the Global MBA from Manchester.

I wondered if anyone has any advice on this course and school, specifically on the below points I am interested to know if it is a respected MBA and school.

I am returning to education after many years and currently do not hold a degree but looking at business schools that accept students with strong work/life experience. I have held senior positions for over 15 years in my current field of work.

I am torn as to what business school to investigate but I do like the look and feel of AMBS.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by newystudent
Hi all,

I am currently researching for a suitable part-time distance MBA. I came across Manchester Business School and from my research, it seems to be a good option. I have looked at Warwick, Manchester-Kelley, MIT Sloan, and quite a few others but for the price, rating, and overall quality I am leaning towards the Global MBA from Manchester.

I wondered if anyone has any advice on this course and school, specifically on the below points I am interested to know if it is a respected MBA and school.

I am returning to education after many years and currently do not hold a degree but looking at business schools that accept students with strong work/life experience. I have held senior positions for over 15 years in my current field of work.

I am torn as to what business school to investigate but I do like the look and feel of AMBS.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Newystudent!

I'm not in Manchester, but hopefully my advice might be still helpful!

Returning to education is always a difficult transition, but can be hugely worth it! If your university of interest has any clubs specifically for graduate students, or a graduate student's union (as we had in my previous University), this might make it easier to find people more similar to you, with more life experience, similar ages, etc.
If you're learning from a distance this may not appeal to you as much, but it can also be a great way to get to know a few people in similar situations and develop a support netwrok.
I now go to Cranfield University, which is postgraduate-only, so of course all the clubs/societies are postgraduate only!
I have much less experience than you, but even for me going back to an environment predominantly filled with people younger than me is a daunting thought!!! Maybe it would help to get advice from people in similar situations before going, the Student Room has a forum for that too here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=185

There are also plenty of people who returned to education who write about their experiences, what helped them, what didn't, etc. For Cranfield, there are a collection of blogs below, but I'm sure you could find something similar from any other universitites too:
https://blogs.cranfield.ac.uk/tag/mature-student/

The Cranfield School of Management has a section of our open day dedicated to people interested in MBAs. It's running on 12th March '22, if you would be interested in going and meeting other potential enrollees, see what you have in common with them, and learn about the course:
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/events/open-day-mba-programmes
Even though you want to be part-time and online, meeting staff in-person might be really helpful if you need to reach out for any help during the course!
Other universities will also have open days, or some kind of virtual tours. You might be able to also ask if that includes anything for the specific courses you're interested in? Have you attended any of these kinds of events?

I hope this helps a bit, and good luck with starting the course!
Ciara
2nd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending