The Student Room Group

Climate change scares me the effects are already showing

Climate change is frightening me, with all this more extreme weather it is clear it is too late to stop it and I hate to thing where this is gonna lead for mankind, anyone else scared?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Climate change is frightening me, with all this more extreme weather it is clear it is too late to stop it and I hate to thing where this is gonna lead for mankind, anyone else scared?

it is not too late. we need to be optimistic but also realistic. act now, do your bit. eat plant-based, use public transport, shop plastic-free, avoid fast fashion, recycle as much as you can, carbon off-set your flights, live more minimally, and find enjoyment from simple things. live a more sustainable lifestyle. it is never too late, the sooner we realise this and the sooner we collectively take action the sooner we can mitigate climate change impacts.
Reply 2
Original post by archere
it is not too late. we need to be optimistic but also realistic. act now, do your bit. eat plant-based, use public transport, shop plastic-free, avoid fast fashion, recycle as much as you can, carbon off-set your flights, live more minimally, and find enjoyment from simple things. live a more sustainable lifestyle. it is never too late, the sooner we realise this and the sooner we collectively take action the sooner we can mitigate climate change impacts.

So many of my so called friends refuse to go to plant based food, many don't recycle either, plus other countries like India, China and America do so little.
Reply 3
So many of my so called friends refuse to go to plant based food, many don't recycle either, plus other countries like India, China and America do so little.

you can't worry about things you can't change. having a pessimistic outlook will not help. you have to focus on what YOU can do. failure to act because 'no one else is either' will not help. do whatever you can do. educate your friends. the only way we are going to achieve monumental change is through education and bottom-up pressure on large corporations in India, China, USA etc. As consumers we have power. use YOUR power to influence others.

No.
Im quite optimistic, I am a scientist who works on technologies that will lead to decarbonisation and reduce GHG in my area. But frankly I think the rate of technology advancement in my area has been remarkable in just the last 2-3 years and I see things only getting better then next 5-15 years.

Now my area is one piece of the puzzle and it certainly is not going to be close net zero probably for a couple decades, as the lead time for my area from solution to market implementation to mass adoption is at least a decade but I think the level of GHG reductions in 2030s are going to be huge.

my real concern is global energy demand increasing faster then renewables can keep up as much of Asia & Africa develop and increase their demand, but this is not my sector
Reply 5
Original post by archere
you can't worry about things you can't change. having a pessimistic outlook will not help. you have to focus on what YOU can do. failure to act because 'no one else is either' will not help. do whatever you can do. educate your friends. the only way we are going to achieve monumental change is through education and bottom-up pressure on large corporations in India, China, USA etc. As consumers we have power. use YOUR power to influence others.

But I do try educate them but they won't listen, this is why I feel the way I do and why I fear for the future

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending