The Student Room Group

Psychology Compare and Contrast

I have an upcoming mock and I know 100% from a topic list that compare and contrast the Psychodynamic and Cognitive Approach will appear. I'm still not too sure how to structure my answer to this and wanted to find a model answer too!

I take the Eduqas board for A-levels!
Reply 1
Original post by lvnhyun
I have an upcoming mock and I know 100% from a topic list that compare and contrast the Psychodynamic and Cognitive Approach will appear. I'm still not too sure how to structure my answer to this and wanted to find a model answer too!

I take the Eduqas board for A-levels!

Use the PEEL structure to compare both approaches. For example the point would be that the cognitive approach takes into account mental processes and doesn't rely heavily on the biological factors like puberty (psychosexual stages) in the psychodynamic approach. The evidence for this would be the examples like the computer model (input, storage output) and the psychosexual stages from both approaches. The explanation should explain why it's a strength or limitation for this difference between the approaches. The link should include the impact/consequences/implications of the difference e.g. reduces validity for psychodynamic as it doesn't account for mental processes meaning it can be reductionist etc. Another difference would be the that the psychodynamic approach is nature and cognitive is nurture and using Issue and debates: holism and reductionism, nature and nurture, free will and determinism etc will help you compare them in the same way. Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest