The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Never met someone trying to gain weight

Seriously. Never met someone in school, out of school or even in my own family who was trying to gain weight. The weird thing to me is that none of them ever look like they need to lose weight at all! They look perfectly healthy in my eyes so i just don’t get what the craze is about. Sure i can’t judge their health without being them, but i just find it odd is all. Is it really that uncommon to see someone trying to gain weight? How many people do you know who are trying to do it?
It's not uncommon. Most men who are into weight training want to gain weight (muscle mass).
Reply 2
I’m noticing more girls are on a weight gain journey just so that they can have more ass.

Maybe it’s more of a Canadian, American thing. Because its a very common thing I see
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
I do via gym, I lost 15kg over lockdown as I stopped working out, to maintain a healthy body weight I have to gain muscle as I can't afford to eat huge amounts of food needed for me to gain fat.

It's rare, I think because you'll get less health problems if you are underweight as long as you eat a healthy, balanced diet. Compared to if you are overweight. It also just depends on people's goals and finances, as to gain weight you either need to eat more or workout.
Honestly if someone wants to gain weight in a healthy way why do u have such a problem with this?? Some people might be struggling with eating disorders, when I was underweight people still told me I didn't look skinny, there's not really a look to being healthy and now after putting on a stone I'm a lot happier and healthier. There can be other reasons too like wanting to bulk up for sports especially sports like rugby or if u do lots of weight training.
I know 1 person (female) who is trying to gain weight.
She's the only person I've ever encountered though.
Reply 6
surely it can't be a craze if you've never met anyone trying to gain weight? think you answered your own question that it's really that uncommon.
Weight is not a complete representation of health. It is not for anyone else (except their GP and the individual themselves) to determine if they are healthy and need to change their weight. :yep:
I've met a few.
Mostly guys who spend a lot of time at the gym and want to bulk up.
I've met a few who were constantly trying to gain weight. They are one of these annoying people who can eat whatever junk they like and never put on weight whereas I only have to look at it to gain the weight :angry:

I've also met others who are trying to gain muscle weight through the gym
Reply 10
Original post by j25_8
Seriously. Never met someone in school, out of school or even in my own family who was trying to gain weight. The weird thing to me is that none of them ever look like they need to lose weight at all! They look perfectly healthy in my eyes so i just don’t get what the craze is about. Sure i can’t judge their health without being them, but i just find it odd is all. Is it really that uncommon to see someone trying to gain weight? How many people do you know who are trying to do it?

im trying to gain weight
My BMI is too low so I should.

Type 1 diabetes makes that a wee bit interesting

apparently quite a bit of dairy is a good idea for T1 Diabetics as low carbs but high in Protein and Fat. :yy:
(edited 2 years ago)
I know of people who weight train, so gaining weight is part of that. I also know people with various conditions who need to watch that their food intake doesn't dip below a certain amount, so not gaining weight exactly but not dieting either.

Latest