The Student Room Group

Mobile number scam?

For the past 2/3 weeks I've been getting mobile numbers calling me with the same 6 numbers as my own number. I never pick up and they never leave voicemails but is that happening to anyone else?
Reply 1
Randomly, I had someone with the last three digits differ call me.

I did not receive a voice mail after declining their call.

Quite odd. :s-smilie:
Original post by Schotel
Randomly, I had someone with the last three digits differ call me.

I did not receive a voice mail after declining their call.

Quite odd. :s-smilie:

It's happened to me 5 times now
I get the same type of calls but never pick up.
Reply 4
I'm getting the same, never picking them up.
(God forbid anyone answers their phone and asks who is calling :tongue: )
That's strange... When I had a Nokia Brick phone, I gave my sister my number which was programmed into the phone. She sent me messages but I never received them until one day someone replied telling her to f*** off. No clue why their number was programmed into the phone and it can't have been someone professional...
Reply 7
Original post by StriderHort
(God forbid anyone answers their phone and asks who is calling :tongue: )

Oh, I never do if they are not on my contacts :biggrin:

Usually, answering scam callers will get you added to an active-callers list, which is then sold or used to spam you with calls continuously.

I listen to the voicemails though :smile:
Original post by Schotel

What do they say?
Reply 9
Original post by Il1L
What do they say?

Usually scam callers dont leave voicemails if the number has not been identified as active.

As all numbers even if they are vacant, have a voicemail, so scammers cannot tell the difference.

But for those that do, it is usually requesting a call back.
Original post by Schotel
Oh, I never do if they are not on my contacts :biggrin:

Usually, answering scam callers will get you added to an active-callers list, which is then sold or used to spam you with calls continuously.

The downside to this is pretending your phone is not active and ignoring lots of calls that may be to your benefit. Sort of like buying a doorbell then cutting the wires in case salespeople ring it :tongue:
I tend to Google weird numbers that call me, to see if they come up as "spam / cold caller" reports.
Once a number kept ringing me and leaving voicemails in an automated american voice telling me my case had referred to the local County court
The downside to this is pretending your phone is not active and ignoring lots of calls that may be to your benefit. Sort of like buying a doorbell then cutting the wires in case salespeople ring it :tongue:

That is true! But with my doorbell you can view who's on the other side :wink:
Original post by Schotel

I want to buy one one day...
Original post by Schotel

If it didn't ring... you wouldn't know someone was there at all.

I think personally I've just had too many situations where someone has had to call me from a new/unfamiliar/borrowed number, sometimes in life/death matters, to ever feel comfortable blanket ignoring phonecalls, esp from mobiles.
If it didn't ring... you wouldn't know someone was there at all.

I think personally I've just had too many situations where someone has had to call me from a new/unfamiliar/borrowed number, sometimes in life/death matters, to ever feel comfortable blanket ignoring phonecalls, esp from mobiles.

Currently, I am too irrelevant to worry about that. But maybe in the future that will change :tongue:
Original post by Schotel
Currently, I am too irrelevant to worry about that. But maybe in the future that will change :tongue:

A bit grim, but my main worry would be a family member or friend being in an accident and the thought of a 3rd party trying to reach me and me just breezily ignoring it gives me the chills. You never predict these things till they happen.
A bit grim, but my main worry would be a family member or friend being in an accident and the thought of a 3rd party trying to reach me and me just breezily ignoring it gives me the chills. You never predict these things till they happen.

That is very true, and if you have that on your mind - continue answering, it does no harm to be certain :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending