The Student Room Group

do i need bachelors for 3d animation?

im about to do 2 year hnd next year and im planning on the university right now, and i looked at 4 universities and only 1 university offers 1 course in 3d visualisation, and im just at this point wondering if you really need a universtiy degree for 3d animation or i could just go straight into work with hnd 3d animation
Original post by dragononeskie
im about to do 2 year hnd next year and im planning on the university right now, and i looked at 4 universities and only 1 university offers 1 course in 3d visualisation, and im just at this point wondering if you really need a universtiy degree for 3d animation or i could just go straight into work with hnd 3d animation

It is possible to go straight to employment from your HND course. But whether you want to top it up to a degree is your choice.

Hi there,

My name is Eleanor and I study Illustration & Animation at Coventry University.

Although I'm not aware of where you're looking to go for University, I thought I would give you some insight into Animation as a degree, what's expected of you in the industry and what Coventry has to offer!

Unfortunately, Illustration & Animation is no longer a shared subject at Coventry anymore but you can take Animation separately- where you will learn 2D animation and 3D animation. You will be expected to explore all programmes and software's available for animation and CGI in 1st year and then throughout the course, be expected to learn Maya and use it a lot as that's one of the most vital software's to become professional at. If you ever look up a 3D animation job, it will ask for experience of maya no matter where you look. It's one of the main programmes that Animation Production uses.
Alongside this though, you can explore other animations, for example, I'm doing stop motion now as that's what I want a career in! No matter what you choose to do in animation, the lecturers at Coventry will aspire you and help you as much as they can with it.

I will heavily suggest to practice with 3D software's such as Maya and Zbrush as they're so vital to getting a career in Animation, especially 3D.
I'm unsure if you need qualifications to animate as most art jobs are all about portfolio. From the animation jobs I've applied for and looked at, they have only asked for 2-3 years of experience and knowledge of Maya and body structure. As long as your portfolio is amazing and the best of the best, you will probably get a job in the industry with no qualifications! For example, I interviewed an artist from Aardman who has no qualifications or higher education and he has now rebranded Aardman and produced his own animation called 'A Turtle's Journey'. He is now an Art Director and helps Aardman with basically everything! He is proof that people can get jobs in art by just being good at it and having a good portfolio.

I hope this helps!

El

Hi @dragononeskie ! My name is Amelia, and I'm a 2nd Year Computer Animation student at Escape Studios.

The simple answer to your question is No, you don't need a degree to pursue 3D Animation/Visualisation as a career. However, it can definitely help you in preparing for both applying for jobs and working within the industry.
The most important thing when you apply for jobs is that you have a strong and concise portfolio/showreel. What a degree course can offer you is the opportunity to build up the content for that application, and receive feedback from tutors and professionals in a safe and isolated way. At Escape Studios, we frequently hold 'Showreel Clinics' and people are always on-hand to help you and give feedback or advice!
We also have a real focus on team project work throughout the degree, preparing you for working productively and professionally in a studio. This also gives you the chance to network with peers and tutors, a vital part of getting into the Film/TV industry! If this sounds like something that interests you here is a link to our courses.

If you're confident enough in your abilities and don't want to commit to a degree, however, another option might be short courses! We offer a range of these at Escape Studios, and this would allow you to explore a specific area of Animation whilst still giving you the time and opportunity to create work for your showreel. Take a look here.

Hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions! Good luck :smile:
~Amelia, Escape Studios Rep
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest