The Student Room Group

Why do people treat you nicer when you've lost weight?

I was very chubby before but my BMI was at a healthy weight for my height. I lost 50 pounds and people in general, treat me so much nicer. I'm no longer invisible. Men never looked in my direction and suddenly they do. People in general treat me much nicer. Why is this? I wasn't even overweight before so it's not a matter of being healthy or not. It's just my appearance has changed.
Then you weren't very chubby if you had a normal BMI.

Many people look down on those who are overweight hence the difference in how they are treated post weightloss.

Though as I said, a normal BMI likely means you were not visibly overweight so this story doesn't sound believable.
People can be so prejudist and discriminatory :console:
because generally speaking being slimmer is more attractive. Why its more attractive I have no idea but at least for me and most of the people I know, it is. I see it like having or not having crooked teeth, it doesnt affect peoples health but its just more attractive to have straight teeth
Original post by Anonymous
because generally speaking being slimmer is more attractive. Why its more attractive I have no idea but at least for me and most of the people I know, it is. I see it like having or not having crooked teeth, it doesnt affect peoples health but its just more attractive to have straight teeth

but it does affect your health if you're overweight😭
Reply 5
Original post by CountBread
Then you weren't very chubby if you had a normal BMI.

Many people look down on those who are overweight hence the difference in how they are treated post weightloss.

Though as I said, a normal BMI likely means you were not visibly overweight so this story doesn't sound believable.

If people see me with clothes on, they wouldn't call me fat but if I wore like a bikini, people could see my fat. I am very tall so my fat isn't that noticeable with clothing but my tummy was big. This is very much real. I was at a healthy weight according to my BMI, though I was 2kg away from being overweight.
If none of your fat showed with clothing on anyway, what are all these random people reacting to? Are you only talking about how people react to you when you're wearing a bikini?

I'm with the people who say that nobody who is a healthy weight, especially not when they're within the bracket by more than four pounds, is "chubby". You also have to be extremely tall (over 6'4) for there to be 54 pounds between the top and bottom of the healthy weight range - if you are not this tall you should be considering whether you are now significantly underweight and people are looking at you and being nice to you because they think you are ill.

Apart from the numbers - yes, people tend to react more favourably to people who they see as attractive, and yes, being slim is seen, on average, as more attractive than being fat. But you should be aware that being underweight isn't seen as attractive and isn't healthy either.
Reply 7
The World has a problem with favouritism. Thin over fat.

This is where issues are flaring up.
I've been doing lots of dating over the past six months and I think generally lads like women who try to keep in shape and make an effort. They don't necessarily like super skinny woman - we all have different builds - but I think they like people who attempt to keep their weight in check to a certain extent.

If you're keeping in shape you look better - you have a healthier BMI, more energy, feel more confident and look better!

I'm 5ft and I'm a size 12 (I really struggle with my weight cos I have pcos - a condition which causes weight gain) and I always feel much more attractive when I've lost weight and wearing a 10-12. (The closer I go to 10, the more healthy I'll be is the general rule). Now I'm a size 12 I'm about 3 kg overweight.
I think my lack of confidence makes me less attractive and the fact I'm carrying a bit too much is getting me down.
imo people that are losing weight/gaining muscle know they on the up, they get the same glow as those who recently got really well laid, it's hard not to respond to that sort of confidence.
Original post by StriderHort
imo people that are losing weight/gaining muscle know they on the up, they get the same glow as those who recently got really well laid, it's hard not to respond to that sort of confidence.

Yes, at 5ft size 12 is deffo the largest size I should be wearing / feel attractive at. I'm a 30GG and curvy and I have a hormone problem which makes me put weight on, so I can't hate myself for being a size 12 and slightly overweight - after all 3kg overweight is hardly 'my god holy hell she's a fatty' and even on a short person size 12 isn't TERRIBLE - but when my BMI is in a more healthier range and I'm wearing 10 clothes too I feel better and healthier and my skin glows! So I need to keep going and lose a bit more cos I've spent the last 6 months losing my lockdown weight
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest