The Student Room Group

Requirements for Psychology

Would Maths, Literature and Sociology be accepted?
Original post by Usernamesaredum

It depends on which unis you are looking for check some random or specific uni entry requirements. I think many may want either one of Bio,chem,phys or psychology but some may accept maths as the science- I think Nottingham does
Most of the high profile universities will require (or at least prefer) a "science" at A level. When they define "science" (in this context) they tend to include maths. So you should be fine.

However, the best thing to do is check a few university web sites.

Attempting to take inspiration from you username, I just checked the requirements at UCL and Durham.

UCL say, "To include at least one, preferably two subjects from: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and Psychology." So you meet their mandatory requirement, but not their preference.

Durham say, "No specific subjects are required, and a combination of arts and science subjects is acceptable."

So, pick some universities you like and see what they want. :smile:
A few notable universities offering it require or prefer two STEM subjects, from biology/chemistry/maths/physics/psychology. For UCL, Oxford, and Cambridge only having maths and not a second science or psychology may make you less competitive (although I think in principle you would still be considered).

However many will accept just one from that list other than psychology (not usually acceptable as a science alone), so you should have a good range of options still. There are also many that have no specific requirements. So it will suffice for the vast majority of courses.

If you are specifically interested in Oxbridge or UCL (maybe KCL as well? I think they have a pretty science heavy psychology course) you may want to consider taking a second science subject like psychology or biology (chemistry or physics would also meet the requirements but I gather are less specifically useful when you are on the course).

@Noodlzzz may be able to advise in general and about UCL more specifically too? :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
A few observations :

Be aware that a degree in Psychology will not make you a Psychologist - you will need a Masters degree, a PhD and considerable experience : https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/clinical-psychologist

There are too many Psych grads for the poorly paid, lower level jobs available and its a very overcrowded field.

Psych at Uni level is a science and is heavy on Maths/Stats.

Look at other subjects like .... Sociology, Social Policy, Law/Criminal Justice, Counselling, Occupational Therapy, Mental Health Nursing, Social Work, Special Needs Teaching, Education with Psychology, Childhood Studies, etc etc.
Original post by artful_lounger
A few notable universities offering it require or prefer two STEM subjects, from biology/chemistry/maths/physics/psychology. For UCL, Oxford, and Cambridge only having maths and not a second science or psychology may make you less competitive (although I think in principle you would still be considered).

However many will accept just one from that list other than psychology (not usually acceptable as a science alone), so you should have a good range of options still. There are also many that have no specific requirements. So it will suffice for the vast majority of courses.

If you are specifically interested in Oxbridge or UCL (maybe KCL as well? I think they have a pretty science heavy psychology course) you may want to consider taking a second science subject like psychology or biology (chemistry or physics would also meet the requirements but I gather are less specifically useful when you are on the course).

@Noodlzzz may be able to advise in general and about UCL more specifically too? :smile:

This :smile:
Original post by Usernamesaredum

@Usernamesaredum

It does depend on where you apply, below are the entry requirements for Arden University who have a mixture of blended and 100% online learning

"To be eligible for our BSc (Hons) Psychology course, you must have: Passes at grade C or above in three subjects including mathematics at GCSE level or 1 year of relevant work experience within the last 3 years."

I've just completed my MSc in Psychology and I would recommend a good comprehension of maths and science in-particular. Psychology often involves data analysis using a program similar to Microsoft Excel called SPSS, so maths is important

Link to the Arden course - https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/undergraduate/psychology-degrees/bsc-hons-psychology-bps#:~:text=Eligibility,within%20the%20last%203%20years.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest