The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Postgraduate Waitlisters 2022

I made a thread last year for postgrad applicants on waiting lists so thought it might be useful to have again this year to share info and support each other through the process.

Scroll to see replies

Yes I applied for a masters in medieval english literature at Oxford and was today informed I am on a waiting list. Honestly I don't hold out much hope, but it didn't sting quite as much as a straight up rejection. Fingers crossed I guess
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by rabbitrun77
Yes I applied for a masters in medieval english literature at Oxford and was today informed I am on a waiting list. Honestly I don't hold out much hope, but it didn't sting quite as much as a straight up rejection. Fingers crossed I guess

I would recommend, if you haven't already, (and this is also for anyone on any waitlist) to respond to the email and find out more info about your waiting list and offer holders to give you more of an insight into your chances. I found out my place in the waiting list, how many people were waitlisted, how many offers were given out and what their target number of students is for that strand. So I think English are quite good at giving out this sort of information, some faculties give out less than this though.

You can also request a copy of your assessment form, which has a breakdown of how you scored against the criteria that your application was assessed. If you email the data protection team, asking for a Subject Access Request for your assessment form and provide them with a photocopy of a form of ID then they should be able to process that for you. To save time, I'd also recommend stating at that stage whether or not you want access to your references because that will take extra time to do, I think.

Hope that is helpful! :smile:
Original post by Wildean99
I would recommend, if you haven't already, (and this is also for anyone on any waitlist) to respond to the email and find out more info about your waiting list and offer holders to give you more of an insight into your chances. I found out my place in the waiting list, how many people were waitlisted, how many offers were given out and what their target number of students is for that strand. So I think English are quite good at giving out this sort of information, some faculties give out less than this though.

You can also request a copy of your assessment form, which has a breakdown of how you scored against the criteria that your application was assessed. If you email the data protection team, asking for a Subject Access Request for your assessment form and provide them with a photocopy of a form of ID then they should be able to process that for you. To save time, I'd also recommend stating at that stage whether or not you want access to your references because that will take extra time to do, I think.

Hope that is helpful! :smile:

It is thank you, I will do that
I was waitlisted and can't find much info online (my programme is small and niche). My programme's latest application deadline was in January. Emailed the department to ask about waitlist information and target capacity but they said they can't tell me. Not sure what to do now... Should I email the course director to express continued interest?
Reply 5
Original post by laevateinx
I was waitlisted and can't find much info online (my programme is small and niche). My programme's latest application deadline was in January. Emailed the department to ask about waitlist information and target capacity but they said they can't tell me. Not sure what to do now... Should I email the course director to express continued interest?

Unfortunately from what I heard of other applicants that were placed on the waiting list last year, there are some faculties that won't provide information on the waiting list - and as far as I remember there are some waiting list that aren't ranked either. I think the best thing to do is just to let your faculty know that you are still interested in your prospective course.

The only other thing I can suggest is requesting a copy of your assessment form from the Data Protection team and that will show you a breakdown of how your application scored against the assessors' criteria.

I'm sorry that I couldn't be more helpful.
Unfortunately from what I heard of other applicants that were placed on the waiting list last year, there are some faculties that won't provide information on the waiting list - and as far as I remember there are some waiting list that aren't ranked either. I think the best thing to do is just to let your faculty know that you are still interested in your prospective course.

The only other thing I can suggest is requesting a copy of your assessment form from the Data Protection team and that will show you a breakdown of how your application scored against the assessors' criteria.

I'm sorry that I couldn't be more helpful.

Not at all, you're a great help! I'll email the course director then!
Reply 7
Hi all!
I applied to the MSc in Mathematical Sciences (OMMS) and got an email today from the course admin that I am waitlisted. Going to send them an email asking for details regarding my position on the waitlist, how many people they waitlist and the reply date for offer holders.

Any Mathematical Institute waitlisters here?
Not really a waitlister but I haven’t heard anything back (MSc Mathematical Finance) and I know most rejections/offers were sent March 2nd so I assume I’m in the void. Or at least I’m trying to keep optimistic it’s not a rejection! Let me know if they reply :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by MscMathFinLondon
Not really a waitlister but I haven’t heard anything back (MSc Mathematical Finance) and I know most rejections/offers were sent March 2nd so I assume I’m in the void. Or at least I’m trying to keep optimistic it’s not a rejection! Let me know if they reply :smile:

Oh hey! I see. That's an interesting situation to be in. Yeah, I hope you get to hear something positive from them!
I will let you know when I hear back but probably it will take months to get something because offer holders need to reply to their offers before they let me know anything further!
Original post by rm2222
Oh hey! I see. That's an interesting situation to be in. Yeah, I hope you get to hear something positive from them!
I will let you know when I hear back but probably it will take months to get something because offer holders need to reply to their offers before they let me know anything further!

Great! I look forward to any information. I was expecting a straight up decline since I didn’t get invited to an interview 4-6 weeks after Jan deadline but after reading this thread I’m tiny bit hopeful. This Friday marks 8 weeks since deadline so I assume by 1st of April the offer holders need to pay in deposit and maybe some spots free up. I am tempted to email the department to get an update but I don’t wanna risk annoying them haha
Reply 11
Great! I look forward to any information. I was expecting a straight up decline since I didn’t get invited to an interview 4-6 weeks after Jan deadline but after reading this thread I’m tiny bit hopeful. This Friday marks 8 weeks since deadline so I assume by 1st of April the offer holders need to pay in deposit and maybe some spots free up. I am tempted to email the department to get an update but I don’t wanna risk annoying them haha

Oh. At least you're lucky enough that people in your course have to pay a deposit to accept an offer and the deadline is 1st April. Our course has a reply date of July or August I think so it's a long wait!! And, no deposit to pay so people can just accept the offer. However, some people receive more than one offer from the department (like OMMS and MCF) so they have the option to formally choose one over the other which can potentially give some places to waitlisters. Though, I am sceptical anything would really happen in the coming days. The only major hope is that some EU students wouldn't accept their offer over the high tuition fees they need to pay to come to Oxford this year (though obv, not good for them).
Original post by rm2222
Oh. At least you're lucky enough that people in your course have to pay a deposit to accept an offer and the deadline is 1st April. Our course has a reply date of July or August I think so it's a long wait!! And, no deposit to pay so people can just accept the offer. However, some people receive more than one offer from the department (like OMMS and MCF) so they have the option to formally choose one over the other which can potentially give some places to waitlisters. Though, I am sceptical anything would really happen in the coming days. The only major hope is that some EU students wouldn't accept their offer over the high tuition fees they need to pay to come to Oxford this year (though obv, not good for them).

Ah that’s annoying! I hope you get an answer sooner than summer. The course I applied to (MCF) has same rate for UK/International students so I assume the people that applied are defo willing to pay that £36k :frown:

As far as I know, the majority of applicants don't get interviews since last year, and the deadline for replying to offers sent on 2nd March is 16th March as I saw a lot of offer letters from my friends who got accepted.
Reply 14
Ah that’s annoying! I hope you get an answer sooner than summer. The course I applied to (MCF) has same rate for UK/International students so I assume the people that applied are defo willing to pay that £36k :frown:

Yeah, I noticed that too! I am an international myself so it's 29K for us. But I guess it's worth taking a loan for somewhere like Oxford.
Original post by rm2222
Hi all!
I applied to the MSc in Mathematical Sciences (OMMS) and got an email today from the course admin that I am waitlisted. Going to send them an email asking for details regarding my position on the waitlist, how many people they waitlist and the reply date for offer holders.

Any Mathematical Institute waitlisters here?

Hi! I’m also waitlisted by OMMS today. Sorry for us. Did you get any info yet? I’m about to send an email to the department. If there is no deposit required for this program, I’m afraid it would be a long waiting period.😢
Reply 16
I just realised that our course (MSc in Mathematical Sciences) has an offer reply date of 15th April. So, waitlisted candidates would hear back sooner than I expected originally!
I made a thread last year for postgrad applicants on waiting lists so thought it might be useful to have again this year to share info and support each other through the process.

Hello, I received an email that I am waitlisted for the DPhil in Law at Oxford. Is it rude to inquire about the waitlist? I have not seen anyone on The Student Room or Grad Cafe posting about waitlist and I am wondering if I really have a chance of getting in.
Reply 18
Original post by phdlaw123
Hello, I received an email that I am waitlisted for the DPhil in Law at Oxford. Is it rude to inquire about the waitlist? I have not seen anyone on The Student Room or Grad Cafe posting about waitlist and I am wondering if I really have a chance of getting in.

I don't think it would be rude to enquire about your waiting list status. I asked about mine and they seemed to be happy to provide the information, and the worst they can say is no so I'd say go for it.

The likelihood of getting an offer has so many factors involved and it varies so much so I wouldn't want to comment on that. But hopefully your prospective department can provide you with more information and you can assess your chances from there.

Best of luck!
Thanks so much! Would you mind sharing with me how you would ask for that? I’m not really sure on the exact formulation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending