The Student Room Group

Should I go through clearing? Need some advice

Hi everyone, just looking for some general advice here around my uni application/clearing.
Some context:
I applied for BA History and Italian to Oxford, Exeter, Liverpool, Leeds, and Manchester and got offers from the last three, and rejected from Ox. Exeter have given me an alternative offer to study History at their Cornwall campus, which I don't really want to do. I was very set on Ex after getting the Ox rejection because I live fairly close, and now I'm unsure about whether I really want to go to any of the unis I have offers from. I also don't want to take a year out and reapply so that leaves me a bit stuck.
Can I apply to Exeter through adjustment/clearing? Because I applied with early entry my predicted grades at the time were AAA, but now my teachers are predicting me A*A*A, which I hope to achieve.
Another issue is there aren't a lot of unis who do my course so it's not easy to find a place elsewhere anyway. When I applied I was torn between History&Italian and Japanese Studies, so can I apply for Japanese through clearing? I loved SOAS, but I've heard clearing with london unis is a nightmare on the financial side. And in general, how likely will I be to find accomodation with clearing?
Basically I feel like all my plans have gone a bit off the rails and I'm lost with what to do now. Any help or advice would be amazing :smile:
Firstly there is no adjustment anymore and it is highly unlikely Exeter will have History in clearing for Streatham, Exeter tend to offer Penryn instead rather than rejection as they find it more difficult to get students to go there.

Basically your choices will probably be to ether accept Penryn, go to one of your other choices or to gamble on clearing elsewhere.

Most RG universities didnt have many courses in clearing last year due to grade inflation and whilst nobody can say for definite it is likely to be the same this year.

Maybe your best option is to look to see what courses and universities are available in extra when it opens.
Original post by niamhsrevision
Hi everyone, just looking for some general advice here around my uni application/clearing.
Some context:
I applied for BA History and Italian to Oxford, Exeter, Liverpool, Leeds, and Manchester and got offers from the last three, and rejected from Ox. Exeter have given me an alternative offer to study History at their Cornwall campus, which I don't really want to do. I was very set on Ex after getting the Ox rejection because I live fairly close, and now I'm unsure about whether I really want to go to any of the unis I have offers from. I also don't want to take a year out and reapply so that leaves me a bit stuck.
Can I apply to Exeter through adjustment/clearing? Because I applied with early entry my predicted grades at the time were AAA, but now my teachers are predicting me A*A*A, which I hope to achieve.
Another issue is there aren't a lot of unis who do my course so it's not easy to find a place elsewhere anyway. When I applied I was torn between History&Italian and Japanese Studies, so can I apply for Japanese through clearing? I loved SOAS, but I've heard clearing with london unis is a nightmare on the financial side. And in general, how likely will I be to find accomodation with clearing?
Basically I feel like all my plans have gone a bit off the rails and I'm lost with what to do now. Any help or advice would be amazing :smile:

Why don't you want to take a year out?

What do you not like about Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool now, given that you thought well enough of them last year to apply there?
As above, your best bet is probably to take a year out. You could then reapply to Oxford or Cambridge if you wish, and in the meantime also think about whether you want to do Japanese or Italian on the language side. If you do decide you're interested in the Japanese side, I can link some very informative comments about which unis to consider (and which perhaps to avoid) when looking at that! It would also allow you to avoid any hassle in trying to sort out accommodation at the last minute.

However in principle you can apply for almost any course through clearing, the point is though that not all courses are in clearing in any given year, and just because a course was or wasn't in clearing previously doesn't mean it will or won't be in future (the only reliable assumptions are that Oxbridge does not participate in clearing, and dentistry courses are unlikely to be in clearing as they normally operate waitlists). So Japanese at SOAS may be in clearing, and History and/or Italian at Exeter may be in clearing; equally, they may not be. There's no guarantee.
Some context:

I have just checked for courses with vacancies and History in Streatham isnt shown.This isnt surprising as it is one of Exeters flagship courses and doesnt end up in clearing each year. However it does show vacancies in Bristol, Cardiff, Reading and Southampton if you are looking at staying local. You would need to ring the university to check they still have places then decline ALL your offers and apply there.
Okay thanks everyone for your advice. I was just in a bit of a crisis and holding on to some hope that there might still be a chance with Exeter but it doesn't look that way so I'm leaning towards Manchester for now, but might still go for Leeds. I don't want to take a year out because I have no meaningful thing to do and because I'm doing Modlang my course is already four years so I don't want it to be five years until I'm out of uni basically. Plus my mental health won't cope great without something to do and I'm actually really looking forward to starting and I don't want to delay. If anyone has any recomendations/thoughts on Manchester vs Leeds let me know, and thanks again for the help :smile:
Okay thanks everyone for your advice. I was just in a bit of a crisis and holding on to some hope that there might still be a chance with Exeter but it doesn't look that way so I'm leaning towards Manchester for now, but might still go for Leeds. I don't want to take a year out because I have no meaningful thing to do and because I'm doing Modlang my course is already four years so I don't want it to be five years until I'm out of uni basically. Plus my mental health won't cope great without something to do and I'm actually really looking forward to starting and I don't want to delay. If anyone has any recomendations/thoughts on Manchester vs Leeds let me know, and thanks again for the help :smile:

If it is of any interest Exeter are showing Ancient History is still avaialable. If you are interested in studying Ancient History instead of History give them a ring and see if they will accept you for that course in Streatham

Quick Reply