The Student Room Group

Is Northumbria University Newcastle worth it for Law?

I am thinking of putting Northumbria uni as my insurance choice for law and putting the uni of Leicester as my firm choice, even though I don't really want to go there. I've been told that going to Northumbria for law would make it hard for me to get a training contract after, because law is competetive, and its a non Russel Group politechnic university that is not ranked that high. But someone else told me that doesn't really matter. I wanted to go to Newcastle University, or Leeds or Manchester uni. So I thought Northumbria might be a alternative. I'm wondering if I should put it as one of my choices though. Will I succeed in Law or in general after doing a law degree there? Would it be a waste? Should I re-take my A-levels or do something else like an apprenticeship or something if I don't get into Leicester? I was predicted AAB (which may be optimistic) and got BBC in my mocks.
Original post by anonymoususer04
I am thinking of putting Northumbria uni as my insurance choice for law and putting the uni of Leicester as my firm choice, even though I don't really want to go there. I've been told that going to Northumbria for law would make it hard for me to get a training contract after, because law is competetive, and its a non Russel Group politechnic university that is not ranked that high. But someone else told me that doesn't really matter. I wanted to go to Newcastle University, or Leeds or Manchester uni. So I thought Northumbria might be a alternative. I'm wondering if I should put it as one of my choices though. Will I succeed in Law or in general after doing a law degree there? Would it be a waste? Should I re-take my A-levels or do something else like an apprenticeship or something if I don't get into Leicester? I was predicted AAB (which may be optimistic) and got BBC in my mocks.

Hi,
Thank you for your message. It is great to hear you are interested in studying Law with us here at Northumbria University. We have one of the largest Law Schools in the UK which is recognised both nationally and internationally for it's excellence in legal education. We also have a multi-award winning Student Law Office, which allows you to mix real world experience with your studies, helping you stand out when you graduate. I have attached a link to our Northumbria Law School webpage which has more information. Hope this has helped, please drop a message if I can help you any further.

https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/about-us/academic-departments/northumbria-law-school/

Thanks,
UG Student Rep
Hi, thanks for the info.
You may have a great law school, but my concern was whether I’d get a training contract and job in law afterwards. Regardless, I have already selected my choices, and Northumbria is my insurance choice.
Reply 3
bear in mind that you don't need a training contract anymore to become a solicitor; you need two years qualifying law experience with the SQE :wink:

personally know a few grads from Northumbria who receive training contracts (under the old qualifying rules with the LPC) and a couple solicitors who graduated from Northumbria (altho non-law degrees) so yes indeed you can work in law; however, what kind of law you're hoping to practice and where you want to work will determine who you're competing with. rankings don't matter and neither does it matter if it's an RG uni as employers don't know/don't follow these things but potentially tougher to compete with applicants who've graduated with a good degree from a name-brand uni (assuming they have work experience etc).

i know you've already made this your insurance choice and ngl personally wouldn't make Northumbria near my first choice either. Northumbria farms law grads. like, first year your class will be 400+ students which is double the size of other unis, which to me suggests it accepts virtually everyone who applies. ngl it's law library isn't the greatest (have you been to any open days btw?) altho that may not be important to you. it may be competitive to get a placement in the student law office because too many students want to do it so i wouldn't hold your breath on that one. the good news (potentially) is that you may find its assessments easier than other unis cuz they do things differently like 24hr take home exams and a portfolio (altho not exactly sure what that is) for public law; if you can find how modules are assessed on the website might be worth looking into.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by anonymoususer04
Hi, thanks for the info.
You may have a great law school, but my concern was whether I’d get a training contract and job in law afterwards. Regardless, I have already selected my choices, and Northumbria is my insurance choice.

Hi,

It is great to hear you have put Northumbria as your insurance choice. Nearly 80% of all of our graduates have ended up in professional jobs, or have gone onto further study. I have attached a link which has more information on the law school, support offered to you and careers information. Hope this helps, please get in touch if I can help you any further.

https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/about-us/academic-departments/northumbria-law-school/

Thanks,
UG Student Rep.
Original post by Northumbria University UG Rep
Hi,

It is great to hear you have put Northumbria as your insurance choice. Nearly 80% of all of our graduates have ended up in professional jobs, or have gone onto further study. I have attached a link which has more information on the law school, support offered to you and careers information. Hope this helps, please get in touch if I can help you any further.

Thanks,
UG Student Rep.

Hi,
That's good to know, but that is only for 'proffesional jobs' and not law, suggesting that many law graduates end up not doing law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending