The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham maths

Hey everyone, so basically i take part in durham’s supported progression program and it says i will get guaranteed 2 graded lower offer. I was wondering what it would be for maths (typical offer A*A*A). As it doesn’t state anything about contextual offer on Durham’s maths page
Original post by karan.cok
Hey everyone, so basically i take part in durham’s supported progression program and it says i will get guaranteed 2 graded lower offer. I was wondering what it would be for maths (typical offer A*A*A). As it doesn’t state anything about contextual offer on Durham’s maths page

Why not ask? Durham is not a strong Maths university though ... where else are you considering?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I am considering bath,bristol, durham, warwick and Nottingham.
And who should I ask?
And i heard durham is one of the best for maths
Original post by Muttley79
Why not ask? Durham is not a strong Maths university though ... where else are you considering?

I am considering bath,bristol, durham, warwick and Nottingham.
And who should I ask?
And i heard durham is one of the best for maths

Ask Durham themselves ...admissions

Bath, Warwick and Nottingham are better.
Warwick is probably the best out of the 5 just for maths
Reply 6
Durham is very good for Maths, just look at the league tables https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/mathematics . Yes Warwick is regarded slightly higher than Durham for Maths, but you have to take the whole university experience into your decision making, Durham is different to the other universities with the college system. My son has got offers from Warwick and Durham. Warwick is the higher offer. His Warwick offer is A*A*A, Durham is lower A*AA because they have lowered the requirements 1 grade because of a good MAT score, so if you are expecting to be lowered 2 grades, I would expect your offer to be AAA. Hope this helps
Reply 7
I still have not received my offer from Durham which is so frustrating. Ive received offers from Warwick, Bath, Exeter and Loughbouough but durham are taking ages. I just want them to respond already

You'll need to check with them directly. I presume it would be AAA if it's 2 grades lower though.

Durham is a decent maths department. As noted above Warwick is stronger, as is Bristol. Durham is probably on par with Bath, maybe ahead of Nottingham or similar. They're all good options though, but it is worth noting Warwick is in a league of it's own among those (followed by Bristol somewhat distantly, then everything else much more closely following Bristol, I think).

Hi @karan.cok

Going by logic, it should be AAA if it's 2 grades lower. Don't quote me though, it's always best to just shoot such questions to the admissions team. They're in the best position to give you a tailored answer :smile:

Good choice of the course and universities though! Talking to current Durham maths students on Unibuddy might help if you're stuck between choices :wink:

All the best

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending