The Student Room Group

maths probability question

Hiya, came across this question:
If you throw 4 coins, what is the probability the first two are heads and there are exactly three heads?

I got 2/16 but I don't know if it is right. If someone cold have a little look for me I'd be very grateful. :smile:
Reply 1
1/8 sounds good.
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
1/8 sounds good.

great thank you so much :smile:
Hi, can I help?
Original post by stevie67890
Hiya, came across this question:
If you throw 4 coins, what is the probability the first two are heads and there are exactly three heads?

I got 2/16 but I don't know if it is right. If someone cold have a little look for me I'd be very grateful. :smile:

That is 1/8. I think you are right. Your probability you have to determine is at least to get three heads in total with two in a row.

So your probabilities they come into questions are:

H-H-H-N and H-H-N-H (N stands for number)

Those are two probabilities out of 16 possible, so 2/16 or just 1/8. Well done! :yy:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Kallisto
That is 1/8. I think you are right. Your probability you have to determine is at least to get three heads in a row, four at the maximum.

So your probabilities they come into questions are:

H-H-H-N and H-H-H-H (N stands for number)

Those are two probabilities out of 16 possible, so 2/16 or just 1/8. Well done! :yy:

Here Kallisto means H-H-H-N and H-H-N-H :smile: - the two ways of making 3 heads with 2 at the beginning
Original post by OnlyTheQuack
Here Kallisto means H-H-H-N and H-H-N-H :smile: - the two ways of making 3 heads with 2 at the beginning

Thanks that you replied to my statement. I realized my mistake and corrected it.

Quick Reply

Latest