Edexcel alevel chemistry unit 1 2018 question

Watch this thread
Ahlam.Ib
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Methane reacts with chlorine in the presence of UV radiation to produce chloromethane :
CH4 + Cl2 -> CH3Cl + HCl
Mr (methane=16 chlorine=17 chloromethane=50.5 hydrogen chloride=36.5)
When 3.20g of methane reacted with excess chlorine, 5.05g of chloromethane was made. What was the percentage yield?
A) 10%
B) 20%
C) 50%
D) 63%
Answer is C
Can someone explain it
Chi chi5
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
How do you calculate percentage yield? How do you calculate how much chloromethane you should have created in the end? Have you made any attempts at this question so far? Please show what you have, where exactly you are stuck
Last edited by Chi chi5; 5 months ago
R_A_A
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Ahlam.Ib)
Methane reacts with chlorine in the presence of UV radiation to produce chloromethane :
CH4 + Cl2 -> CH3Cl + HCl
Mr (methane=16 chlorine=17 chloromethane=50.5 hydrogen chloride=36.5)
When 3.20g of methane reacted with excess chlorine, 5.05g of chloromethane was made. What was the percentage yield?
A) 10%
B) 20%
C) 50%
D) 63%
Answer is C
Can someone explain it
yehh i got c
so use the equation actual yield moles/theoretical yield moles x100
so u find the moles of ch4 which is 0.2 mol by doing 3.2/16
then find out moles of ch3cl which is 0.1
then u knw its a 1:1 ratio between ch4 and ch3cl
do 0.1/0.2 x100
and u get 50%
remember actual yield is always smaller than theoretical if u get confused
as theoretical is the MAXIMUM amount of yield u could possibly obtain in a reaction

hope that helps
Chi chi5
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by R_A_A)
yehh i got c
do 0.1/0.2 x100
and u get 50%
as theoretical is the MAXIMUM amount of yield u could possibly obtain in a reaction

hope that helps
Reminder not to give the answers. It is better to help them figure it out on their own.
Ahlam.Ib
Rep:
(Original post by Chi chi5)
How do you calculate percentage yield? How do you calculate how much chloromethane you should have created in the end? Have you made any attempts at this question so far? Please show what you have, where exact you are stuck
What i did was divide the molar mass of ch3cl by the mass of ch3cl multiplied by 100 and i got 10% which is wrong
Ahlam.Ib
Rep:
(Original post by R_A_A)
yehh i got c
do 0.1/0.2 x100
and u get 50%

hope that helps
Why did u divide the moles aren’t we supposed to divide the masses when calculating the yield?
Chi chi5
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Ahlam.Ib)
What i did was divide the molar mass of ch3cl by the mass of ch3cl multiplied by 100 and i got 10% which is wrong
Think about the units. Molar mass is g/mol. Mass is g so what you’ve done leaves you with mol^-1 not moles.

Ok correcting that, you get mass/molar mass which gives you the amount of moles of methane.

Figure out the mol to mol ratio of ch4 and ch3cl. Once you’ve done that use the theoretical mols of ch3cl to figure out the theoretical mass. Then you have theoretical mass and actual mass. Use the formula for percentage yield to complete the problem.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (8)
24.24%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (10)
30.3%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (2)
6.06%
Speaking to staff members from universities (0)
0%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (3)
9.09%
Reading articles about what steps to take (6)
18.18%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
6.06%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
6.06%

Watched Threads