Should I change my degree choice because of the Russa-Ukraine war?

Watch this thread
Jesstudies
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
so my degree choice is currently French and Russian, but obviously if this situation stays the way it is which is likely, the possibility of a year abroad would be scarce, and I don't want to live in Russia or do Russian diplomacy anymore because of this.

I know it could seem unreasonable to close off opportunities to learn about Russian history and culture but I can't explain it I just have a bad feeling about it

I currently study Spanish, and there are other beginners languages I'd be interested in such as Japanese so I'm just wondering if I should contact the unis I have offers for to see if I can change my course to one of these

I'd be really grateful to hear the opinions of people who are going to study Russian in September, people who currently study Russian or any advice really
username5909779
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by JessD3333)
so my degree choice is currently French and Russian, but obviously if this situation stays the way it is which is likely, the possibility of a year abroad would be scarce, and I don't want to live in Russia or do Russian diplomacy anymore because of this.

I know it could seem unreasonable to close off opportunities to learn about Russian history and culture but I can't explain it I just have a bad feeling about it

I currently study Spanish, and there are other beginners languages I'd be interested in such as Japanese so I'm just wondering if I should contact the unis I have offers for to see if I can change my course to one of these

I'd be really grateful to hear the opinions of people who are going to study Russian in September, people who currently study Russian or any advice really
Russia is not the only country that speaks Russian, some countries like Kazakhstan speak Russian, why do you want to change a degree choice. First, consider what your career choice is, if you want to be an interpreter, maybe Russian could be useful in embassies, and people in your position could have quit, so cause a higher demand for people who speak Russian, so a higher salary. I guess you could change your degree choice, but its your choice
hi2u_uk
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I dont think a war is a good reason to change your degree , my understanding is that this war is down to Putin. I dont think the people of russia wanted him to go to war. It will eventually end just dont be racist towards russia. As the person above said there are many russian speaking countries and in the UK there are many russian speaking people . If you are a good british russian speaker then at times of war with russia your skills will be in demand by the government
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
could you do Ukrainian language instead of Russian ?
Jesstudies
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by hi2u_uk)
I dont think a war is a good reason to change your degree , my understanding is that this war is down to Putin. I dont think the people of russia wanted him to go to war. It will eventually end just dont be racist towards russia. As the person above said there are many russian speaking countries and in the UK there are many russian speaking people . If you are a good british russian speaker then at times of war with russia your skills will be in demand by the government
I'm missing the point when I was racist?? I am aware of the employment prospects, but my point was mainly concerning the year abroad and the safety of it. I never said I have a problem with Russian people
Jesstudies
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by the bear)
could you do Ukrainian language instead of Russian ?
I was thinking of doing ukranian modules
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JessD3333)

I'm not an expert but I think that 1. I think that current events could make your degree choice even more relevant to the modern world since Russian diplomacy and understanding Russia as a culture and government is more topical that ever. 2. My cousin in in her early 20s and took Russian at uni and is now working in Uzbekistan and it's very good pay, outside the reach of the war. 3. You've also French in there, so it keeps your options open - I don't know how flexible your course is but maybe that means you can still pursue your interest in Russian while having more marketable French/Spanish/etc still avaliable. Idk, but it sounds great, good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (38)
32.48%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (53)
45.3%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (25)
21.37%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.85%

Watched Threads