The Student Room Group

Train ticket question

I didn’t know that open returns on train tickets was a thing. I don’t know what time I want my return to be but I know the day. I’ve book a one way trip as I didn’t know the return. I’ve seen that you can but anytime day/single tickets but I can’t figure out how to do this

Can anyone help?

Scroll to see replies

I really don’t want to be the person to keep boosting my own posts but I’m stressed about this and want to get it sorted!
Original post by flamingolover
I really don’t want to be the person to keep boosting my own posts but I’m stressed about this and want to get it sorted!

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Try the above or buy at the station.
Original post by Muttley79
https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Try the above or buy at the station.

That only lets me book a specific time right? I know you can get anytime day tickets as I don’t know what time I’ll catch the train? I’m worried that if I leave it till the station there won’t be any tickets left. I know I’m probably over complicating this I just find things stressful!
That only lets me book a specific time right? I know you can get anytime day tickets as I don’t know what time I’ll catch the train? I’m worried that if I leave it till the station there won’t be any tickets left. I know I’m probably over complicating this I just find things stressful!

Did you look at the info links - I've booked open return on that. Tickets don't run out :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
Did you look at the info links - I've booked open return on that. Tickets don't run out :smile:

I think I must be being thick. It’s telling me to pick a time? It just says journey planner and the options are now or a time. Tickets I’ve bought in the past are for a specific train time abd if you are on a different train time it won’t let you through barriers? I honestly might be being really stupid!
I think I must be being thick. It’s telling me to pick a time? It just says journey planner and the options are now or a time. Tickets I’ve bought in the past are for a specific train time abd if you are on a different train time it won’t let you through barriers? I honestly might be being really stupid!

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/advance-tickets.aspx

Read this bit

Sometimes it will ask you to pick a time e.g. to book seats - but you don't have to get that specific train if it's an open return. However if you buy two separate single tickets, then you would need to go at those times. If you want to check here first that you're selecting the right thing, please let me know :smile: when's this for?

Edit: I tend to use the train line - https://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/ - you can select open return :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Problem is on the day I’m not going to know what time Im going to want to get the train. That information said you can change the time up until 6pm the day before you travel.

I panicked and bought one ticket to London to see my sister as I didn’t know open returns were a thing and thought I’d just buy the other ticket later but I don’t actually know what time to get the train and I don’t want to trust or to overstay my welcome!
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Sometimes it will ask you to pick a time e.g. to book seats - but you don't have to get that specific train if it's an open return. However if you buy two separate single tickets, then you would need to go at those times. If you want to check here first that you're selecting the right thing, please let me know :smile: when's this for?

Edit: I tend to use the train line - https://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/ - you can select open return :smile:

So I’m going to London tomorrow and coming back Sunday. I didn’t know open returns were a thing so panicked when the website said low tickets available so I bought a ticket there so I could get there but I don’t know what time I want to come home and I’m really panicking about. I’ve already bought a single ticket and it says not refunds so I guess that’s that then
Problem is on the day I’m not going to know what time Im going to want to get the train. That information said you can change the time up until 6pm the day before you travel.

I panicked and bought one ticket to London to see my sister as I didn’t know open returns were a thing and thought I’d just buy the other ticket later but I don’t actually know what time to get the train and I don’t want to trust or to overstay my welcome!

So I’m going to London tomorrow and coming back Sunday. I didn’t know open returns were a thing so panicked when the website said low tickets available so I bought a ticket there so I could get there but I don’t know what time I want to come home and I’m really panicking about. I’ve already bought a single ticket and it says not refunds so I guess that’s that then

It's a potentially an expensive way to have done it - usually buying an open return is much cheaper than buying two single tickets. However, if you go to the station in plenty of time, you may be able to go to the desk and upgrade your ticket to an open return one (since you're coming back on a different day, make sure you don't get the day return one).

If that doesn't work you'll need to get another single ticket for the way back - https://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/ - if you put it into here and then when the times show up, "view all single tickets" it should show you some open return/any time options, if you're not sure about the time :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

There's a difference between normal tickets and "Advance" tickets. Advance tickets are cheaper, but are valid only for a specific train. They're also limited in number (i.e. they can sell out).
I didn’t know that open returns on train tickets was a thing. I don’t know what time I want my return to be but I know the day. I’ve book a one way trip as I didn’t know the return. I’ve seen that you can but anytime day/single tickets but I can’t figure out how to do this

Can anyone help?

you can cancel the ticket quite easily if you bought it through trainline, and then just book an open return. An off peak return will be even cheaper if the times work for you
Original post by perserschutt
you can cancel the ticket quite easily if you bought it through trainline, and then just book an open return. An off peak return will be even cheaper if the times work for you

I did book through Trainline but ticket says no refund available (weirdly no ticket I ever bought through Trainline has been refundable idk if it’s to do with railcards or not!) That was the first thing I tried!
Original post by martin7
There's a difference between normal tickets and "Advance" tickets. Advance tickets are cheaper, but are valid only for a specific train. They're also limited in number (i.e. they can sell out).

Okay? How do I buy a ticket that means I can get on a train at any time? All the tickets I’ve seemed to find ask me to put a time in!
It's a potentially an expensive way to have done it - usually buying an open return is much cheaper than buying two single tickets. However, if you go to the station in plenty of time, you may be able to go to the desk and upgrade your ticket to an open return one (since you're coming back on a different day, make sure you don't get the day return one).

If that doesn't work you'll need to get another single ticket for the way back - https://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/ - if you put it into here and then when the times show up, "view all single tickets" it should show you some open return/any time options, if you're not sure about the time :smile:

Oooh okay! When I get to the train station I’ll ask! Talking to a person might be a good way to do it for me! I’ve not seen any open returns/any time options on Trainline but I’ll check again!! Thank you so much!
Okay? How do I buy a ticket that means I can get on a train at any time? All the tickets I’ve seemed to find ask me to put a time in!

It's to show you what times the trains run. And you need to know whether a specific journey is classed as "peak" or "offpeak".

For "peak" journeys, you need an Anytime Day Single/Return; for "off-peak" you need an Off-Peak Day Single/Return. (You can also use Anytime Day tickets on off-peak journeys; but they're more expensive.)
(edited 2 years ago)

Doesn't trainline make you pay a fee if you get tickets through them?
Original post by martin7
It's to show you what times the trains run. And you need to know whether a specific journey is classed as "peak" or "offpeak".

For "peak" journeys, you need an Anytime Day Single/Return; for "off-peak" you need an Off-Peak Day Single/Return. (You can also use Anytime Day tickets on off-peak journeys; but they're more expensive.)

Anytime tickets don’t seem to be coming up for me just set time ones. I think I’m being really stupid! They just keep saying the tickets are only valid for that time
Oooh okay! When I get to the train station I’ll ask! Talking to a person might be a good way to do it for me! I’ve not seen any open returns/any time options on Trainline but I’ll check again!! Thank you so much!

Yeah sounds good! I normally either buy tickets in advance using the train line or buy at the station at the machines/desk on the day. But here are some examples of either selecting open return:

Screenshot 2022-02-25 231911.png

or selecting any time/off peak tickets:

Screenshot 2022-02-25 232026.png

Even though here, you select a specific train, you can travel on any within the restrictions of the ticket :smile:

(These are just random examples of if you wanted to travel from Manchester to London right now - so ignore all the details like price/times etc. :tongue: )
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest