The Student Room Group

Changing courses at uni

So, I'm starting uni this year and am thinking of doing Computer Science instead of Software Engineering. I've also got the offer from 1st choice uni so should I tell them I want to change from Software engineer to computer science (would that mean they would have to reconsider my UCAS application) or do i get to change it at the end of first year. As computer science and software engineering are in the same departments do you think it would be easy to change them?
Original post by shadeyshrek
So, I'm starting uni this year and am thinking of doing Computer Science instead of Software Engineering. I've also got the offer from 1st choice uni so should I tell them I want to change from Software engineer to computer science (would that mean they would have to reconsider my UCAS application) or do i get to change it at the end of first year. As computer science and software engineering are in the same departments do you think it would be easy to change them?

Hey!

I'm actually nearing the end of my first year at uni and I'm thinking of switching course to restart in September from first year again!

I wouldn't really recommend leaving it to the end of your first year because of many reasons. Firstly, if you don't think you'd like Software Engineering, you wouldn't want to spend an entire year doing it when you could be studying something you enjoy more. As well, sometimes universities can be a bit strict about changing course even before you have finished your first year. Some restrict changing course to even just the first 2 weeks of your degree so this could get in the way. Secondly, sometimes universities/courses won't let you transfer course and continue onto your second year so you might have to be at uni for 4 years instead of 3. Thirdly, it can get very complicated and sometimes they might not let you switch at all.

I think right now is the perfect time to switch your course and because they're so similar there might not be too many issues in terms of application. Usually those courses would be situated within the same academic 'School' who are the people who consider your application in the first place.

I would recommend emailing the admissions teams for the universities you're going to firm/insure asap!

I hope this helps :smile:

- Liv, Student Ambassador and Official Rep

Hi @shadeyshrek,

Usually it depends on the university (I know, very unhelpful advice), but if you have firmed your offer, and the requirements for both courses are the same and under the same faculty and department, I want to say you have okay odds at them being happy for you to change. The other thing you could do is wait until you are sure you are definitely going to that university, and try and change it before term starts. You could change at the end of first year, but unless the first year modules for both courses are identical, you would have to redo the first year, and that would be an extra year of tuition fee debt to pay off. While I know friends at Southampton doing both courses had identical modules for first year, I can't guarantee this for other Universities. I changed courses from BSc Maths with Comp Sci to BSc Maths in the August before I started university at Southampton, and it was as easy as asking as by that point I had enrolled at the university and so it wasn't a case of having to reapply, just transfer, but if the difference between the Software Engineering and Comp Sci courses is bigger (which it probably is, especially in later years), I would advise you email the universities faculty/department admissions team, and ask them whether it could be changed or whether they would have to reconsider your application, and act on their advise.

Summary: As they are in the same department, I would email the department/faculty admissions team and ask if you can transfer, and see what they say :smile:.

If you have any further questions you think I, or others, could help you with, please let me know :smile:
Isabel (2nd Year Mathematics Student Rep)
I would say wait until u start and then change it in the first MONTH def not the end of the year thats what I’m planning to do anyway I’m hoping to change mine from comp eng to comp sci lol but I’d say dont tell the uni now as they prolly wont reconsider ur app for a different course now and tell u to wait anyway so. Also which uni is this for and which unis have u applied for out of curiosity?

If you are certain, ask ASAP. The longer you leave it, the less likely they will be able to accommodate a swap.

Do not enrol on a course with the intention of trying to change later. They may just say no and then you’re stuck. Find out if it’s an option now.
Original post by Justtamara
I would say wait until u start and then change it in the first MONTH def not the end of the year thats what I’m planning to do anyway I’m hoping to change mine from comp eng to comp sci lol but I’d say dont tell the uni now as they prolly wont reconsider ur app for a different course now and tell u to wait anyway so. Also which uni is this for and which unis have u applied for out of curiosity?

This is for uni of Edinburgh. And I applied to uni of Glasgow, St. andrews, Heriott watt and Napier.
This is for uni of Edinburgh. And I applied to uni of Glasgow, St. andrews, Heriott watt and Napier.

Cool cool and omg u got an offer already?? I’m still waiting for Edinburgh lol
Cool cool and omg u got an offer already?? I’m still waiting for Edinburgh lol

ahah yea I was kinda surprised thought they were gonna reply in march. Ohh what course u applied for at edinburgh?
ahah yea I was kinda surprised thought they were gonna reply in march. Ohh what course u applied for at edinburgh?

BEng Computer Science tho I dont think I’ll get in lol what were ur predicted grades?
BEng Computer Science tho I dont think I’ll get in lol what were ur predicted grades?

in S5 I got AAAC at higher and my predicted grades for this year were AAAB at higher and advanced higher. I come from a deprived school so the entry requirements are lower. You will probably get in as well don’t worry. What are your predicted grades?
in S5 I got AAAC at higher and my predicted grades for this year were AAAB at higher and advanced higher. I come from a deprived school so the entry requirements are lower. You will probably get in as well don’t worry. What are your predicted grades?

A*A*A in physics, maths and chem but its barely the entry requirements and I didnt take further maths so my chances are slim lol but if I do get in I’d be crazy happy haha
A*A*A in physics, maths and chem but its barely the entry requirements and I didnt take further maths so my chances are slim lol but if I do get in I’d be crazy happy haha

Those are amazing grades!! Hope you get in tho. What other unis have u applied for??
Reply 12
I'm not suggesting you haven't done this, but should think carefully about doing this... this time last year I was having a bit of a wobble in terms of self-doubt and thought I wanted to switch degrees rather than what I had offers for and had put all this work into applying for etc. Literally convinced myself I should do the other thing. Long story short I couldn't make the switch when I was trying to, decided to leave it for a bit and try out the course I had originally applied for, accepted etc. Loving it so far and changing would have been a huge mistake.

Quick Reply

Latest