The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Muslim and alcohol

Hi everyone,

I have a friend that is muslim and she drinks alcohol. She went for a drink today and came home sick. How do I stop this? She knows it’s haram.

I collected her because she was vomiting so I had to step in the pub and I suddenly got a dizzy and lightheaded feeling. I’m also Muslim. Any reasons behinf that?

Kind regards

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If she knows it's haram and she still chooses to drink, that's her choice. It's not like she's accidentally doing something haram without knowing.

As for the dizzy feeling, it's probably just nerves from worrying that your friend is being sick or whatever. Maybe nerves from entering a pub, if that's (perhaps) an environment you've been raised to avoid
Original post by Alevelz2018_2020
Hi everyone,

I have a friend that is muslim and she drinks alcohol. She went for a drink today and came home sick. How do I stop this? She knows it’s haram.

I collected her because she was vomiting so I had to step in the pub and I suddenly got a dizzy and lightheaded feeling. I’m also Muslim. Any reasons behinf that?

Kind regards

Salaam brother, any reason behind why she is consuming alcohol brother you must stop this what the sister is doing is pure haram. Have you considered taking her to Islamic rehab center.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi everyone,

Kind regards

Best thing to do is to consult a scholar. Trust me brother/sister on here all you’re gonna find is people critical of Islam. Give her evidences as to why she shouldn’t be doing this, ask her why she even is. If she still stays rigid and doesn’t want to change I’d cut ties because after all it says in The Quran “Close friends, that Day, will be enemies to each other, except for the righteous”. What we learn is to stay with those who are righteous and distance from those who are misguided if they refuse to turn back to Siraatul Mustaqeem. When you spend time with friends you’ll notice you tend to start imitating their behaviours. InshaAllah everything goes well for you and your friend. May Allah make us all among those who are righteous and protect us from the evils of alcohol. Ameen
(edited 1 year ago)
So if your friend was getting involved in drugs and violent crime would you just ‘mind your business’ or would you advise them?
Hi everyone,

Kind regards

So if she knows that drinking alcohol is haram, then why is she even drinking alcohol?
Probably dizzy from the new environment

It’s her choice let her be
Only be worried if she was using it to cope with stuff tbh
Original post by Leslie Knope
So if she knows that drinking alcohol is haram, then why is she even drinking alcohol?

That’s what we need to know. Just because they’re doing this doesn’t mean we should give up on trying to stop them. Maybe they’re unaware of the consequences.
Original post by sppedcup
Probably dizzy from the new environment

It’s her choice let her be
Only be worried if she was using it to cope with stuff tbh

And this is why you don’t come on TSR for serious matters smh…
Original post by SafwanChowdhury
That’s what we need to know. Just because they’re doing this doesn’t mean we should give up on trying to stop them. Maybe they’re unaware of the consequences.

Oh I agree with you. The way I see it, even though she is drinking alcohol when she shouldn't be, then judging without knowing the full story is equally as wrong.
Don’t think drinking is that bad tbh on a list of bad things

Also not that serious, people drink
Can’t do anything it’s up to them tbh you can say are you sure you want to drink? But don’t be pushy they have their own mind let them think about it
Eventually they’ll ‘come out of it’ or that’s just how they’re gonna live

- coming from a Muslim

Oh so because you’re a Muslim and you think Alcohol is fine, that makes it fine? Are you a scholar who can make judgement on these things? Naudhubillah, this is Jahil.

Muslims wide-world may also commit atrocities thinking that they’re ok. Does that make those atrocities okay?

And what is serious is subjective, depending on beliefs, you might think that drinking isn’t serious whereas OP might perhaps.

You’re saying that they’ll “eventually come out of it” well we can’t be certain but that’s what we want InshaAllah. The way we can help to ensure that or at least encourage is to make the person aware of what they’re doing is wrong.

And you’re saying that drinking isn’t bad. According to the religion of Islam, it is and the one whom drinks shall not have their prayers accepted for 40 days, consequently they’ll have to fill it in, so by drinking alcohol you’re inflicting struggle onto yourself mentally, physically and personally - most importantly - spiritually.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 11
Oh so because you’re a Muslim and you think Alcohol is fine, that makes it fine? Are you a scholar who can make judgement on these things? Naudhubillah, this is Jahil.

Muslims wide-world also commit atrocities thinking that they’re ok. Does that make those atrocities okay?

And what is serious is subjective, depending on beliefs, you might think that drinking isn’t serious whereas OP might perhaps.

You’re saying that they’ll “eventually come out of it” well we can’t be certain but that’s what we want InshaAllah. The way we can help to ensure that or at least encourage is to make the person aware of what they’re doing is wrong.

And you’re saying that drinking isn’t bad. According to the religion of Islam, it is and the one whom drinks shall not have their prayers accepted for 40 days, consequently they’ll have to fill it in, so by drinking alcohol you’re inflicting struggle onto yourself mentally, physically and personally - most importantly - spiritually.

alright man calm down
Best to only consider getting directly involved if she asks you for your advice. :smile:
Only then if you have the gut feeling that she is willing to accept the fact that her excessive booze consumption is putting her health & physical safety at risk and genuinely wants to reduce her consumption.
Unsolicited advice or attempts at religious preaching are most likely to result in angry words that will only put the friendship at risk.

If you feel that you can't tolerate the fact that she has chosen to regularly drink alcohol, politely distance yourself from her.
But don't make her any ultimatums or issue threats to expose her boozing to the religious traditionalists who are most likely to harshly punish her.
From experience, this only ruin the friendship by decimating trust and will never deter someone who has reached the decision that they don't want to be teetotal for the rest of their life.
Acting upon threats to expose friend's dirty laundry and most secretive activities to their relatives/other traditionalists often result in the most devastating of consequences involving acts of criminal abuse or serious violent incidents.
Good luck!
Original post by londonmyst
Best to only consider getting directly involved if she asks you for your advice. :smile:
Only then if you have the gut feeling that she is willing to accept the fact that her excessive booze consumption is putting her health & physical safety at risk and genuinely wants to reduce her consumption.
Unsolicited advice or attempts at religious preaching are most likely to result in angry words that will only put the friendship at risk.

Best advice is to talk to your friend if you believe she is involved in wrongdoing and needs to change. Presumably, that’s you’re view thus you should talk to her.

In regards to the second part, if it leads to angry words, then let it. It just shows that the person doesn’t care abt the friendship when OP would be trying to support them.
I would let her know that it's haram, if she doesn't still care then don't bother. At the end, she has to answer to Allah, you don't.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Zaynskitten xx
I would let her know that it's haram, if she doesn't still care then don't bother. At the end, she has to answer to Allah, not you.

Yup, and bi’idhnillah the OP will be rewarded for doing so.

Muslims wide-world may also commit atrocities thinking that they’re ok. Does that make those atrocities okay?

It’s up to OP how to approach it, they can take your points from here and your other post too just to remind her of her religion

If she’s drinking to the point of throwing up, then it’s harming her and maybe she just needs some sensible friends to stay with
Don’t need to get drunk and sick to have fun maybe OP can remind her of stuff and make plans and go out in a halal way maybe
It’s up to OP how to approach it, they can take your points from here and your other post too just to remind her of her religion

If she’s drinking to the point of throwing up, then it’s harming her and maybe she just needs some sensible friends to stay with
Don’t need to get drunk and sick to have fun maybe OP can remind her of stuff and make plans and go out in a halal way maybe

So according to you it’s fine to drink as long as you don’t throw up?
Completely agree with your second point, OP could definitely find some stuff to avoid her from drinking as well as informing her that what she’s doing is wrong.
So according to you it’s fine to drink as long as you don’t throw up?
Completely agree with your second point, OP could definitely find some stuff to avoid her from drinking as well as informing her that what she’s doing is wrong.

People drink from peer pressure, it’s why you do it that matters tbh maybe they can talk about it which is what OP is worried about
This thread isnt about meeee

I had friends that wanted me to drink
I said no 5 times they knew I was Muslim from the start
Never mentioned religion just said I don’t drink and I’m okay
Even if I wasn’t Muslim no one should be forced to drink they didn’t want me in their group anymore even though I declined nicely lol
So op can just talk to their friend cause they’re worried about them
People drink from peer pressure, it’s why you do it that matters tbh maybe they can talk about it which is what OP is worried about
This thread isnt about meeee

I had friends that wanted me to drink
I said no 5 times they knew I was Muslim from the start
Never mentioned religion just said I don’t drink and I’m okay
Even if I wasn’t Muslim no one should be forced to drink they didn’t want me in their group anymore even though I declined nicely lol
So op can just talk to their friend cause they’re worried about them

Alhamdulillah. But I still think OP could mention religion as a means to stop them.