cambridge interview psychological & behavioural sciences

Watch this thread
faucets
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
hey guys, i'm currently in y12 and an international student studying IB. i do bio, chem and psych at HL, and i'm hoping to get into cambridge pbs.

my guidance counselor told me to read up on a-level bio, chem and maths because i'll be 'up against' a-level students. does anybody know what type of maths is relevant to the course/interviewers might ask me about? honestly the maths a-level seems on par with maths standard level at IB (and i did further pure at IGCSE which is more challenging than IB SL maths haha), so I'm not quite sure which aspects of the maths A-level course I'll need for psych
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
In a word: statistics.

On any psychology course, you'll likely be studying topics like:

Frequencies and Distributions
Normal Distribution (Bell Curve)
Z-Scores (Definition, Calculation and Interpretation)
Z-Score Table (How to Use)
Sampling Distributions
Central Limit Theorem
Kurtosis
Binomial Distribution
Uniform Distribution
Poisson Distribution

Statistical Significance
Hypothesis Testing
What a p-value Tells You About Statistical Significance
Type I Errors; Type II Errors
Effect Size
Standard Error
Multicollinearity

Statistical Tests
Chi Square Test
ANOVA (Analysis Of Variance): Definition, Types, & Examples
Multicollinearity
R-Squared

Describing the Data
Confidence Intervals
Box Plot (Box and Whisker Plot)
Histograms and Stem-and-Leaf Plots
Frequency Tables
Standard Deviation
Levels of Measurement
Mean, Median, and Mode

You won't be expected to know all this before hand, obviously (although you're likely to be pretty comfortable with Mean, Median and Mode!). Take a look at an A-level Maths specification, and see what statistical concepts are covered. If you want to ensure that you're competitive against applicants with A-level maths, then just ensure that you have the same statistical knowledge as they're likely to have.

Finally (and this is from memory, I'll check it in a moment), remember that about 1/3 of successful applicants to PBS didn't study Maths at A-level anyway.
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
FYI, from https://www.pbs.tripos.cam.ac.uk/pro...tripos-course:

"About two thirds of our students have studied either Maths or Biology or both at A level."

So, by extension, one third have studied neither Maths nor Biology at A-level. There will also be those who studied Biology but not Maths.
faucets
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Wow thanks! That was really helpful, and I'll prioritize the stats knowledge over stuff like 🤮calculus🤮. Are you also in secondary school or are you in uni already haha

(Original post by DataVenia)
FYI, from https://www.pbs.tripos.cam.ac.uk/pro...tripos-course:

"About two thirds of our students have studied either Maths or Biology or both at A level."

So, by extension, one third have studied neither Maths nor Biology at A-level. There will also be those who studied Biology but not Maths.
BubblesBB
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by faucets)
hey guys, i'm currently in y12 and an international student studying IB. i do bio, chem and psych at HL, and i'm hoping to get into cambridge pbs.

my guidance counselor told me to read up on a-level bio, chem and maths because i'll be 'up against' a-level students. does anybody know what type of maths is relevant to the course/interviewers might ask me about? honestly the maths a-level seems on par with maths standard level at IB (and i did further pure at IGCSE which is more challenging than IB SL maths haha), so I'm not quite sure which aspects of the maths A-level course I'll need for psych
Hello! I searched this forum for PBS and found this thread. I am also an international IB student like you and have the same HLs as you too. I took Add Math at IGCSE. (What is Further Pure?) Are you currently doing SL AA or SL AI?
faucets
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey!! Further pure is the edexcel version of add math which should be CIE i think? Just different exam boards haha. I’m doing SL AA!
BubblesBB
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by faucets)
Hey!! Further pure is the edexcel version of add math which should be CIE i think? Just different exam boards haha. I’m doing SL AA!
Ah! Got it! I did the CIE Add Math indeed. Me too re SL AA. :-) Coincidentally, I am doing Statistics in my SL AA class now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads