The Student Room Group

So what’s Spanish A-Level like?

I’m a year 10 student who is a working at grade of 9 in Spanish. I really enjoy Spain and it’s culture. I’ve tried a gcse past paper and got a 9.
I’m just wondering what is A-Level like? I might not do it as I want to focus on science, but I’d like to hear your stories.
Original post by Felicitycat
I’m a year 10 student who is a working at grade of 9 in Spanish. I really enjoy Spain and it’s culture. I’ve tried a gcse past paper and got a 9.
I’m just wondering what is A-Level like? I might not do it as I want to focus on science, but I’d like to hear your stories.

Hi there.

I'm an ex-A level french student but I'll highlight what A level language at A level is like due to no one replying :smile:

A level is much more challenging than GCSE level however you will be able to explore culture more in depth. You'll be required to do an independent research project (on any topic Spanish related which should last around 8-10 mins I believe), write essays on both a book and a film and revise a lot more vocab (obviously :biggrin:)

I'd say that the biggest changes from GCSE to A level are the writing component and listening component. For writing translations making a simple error can cost you an entire mark for a sentence unfortunately so I did find this challenging as well as the fact that we couldn't write about our holidays etc. in GCSE due to the essays and summaries. However, I did find listening easier as we could stop and replay recordings and take as long as we liked on them on our own computers as opposed to listening to the recording just twice with everyone one else at GCSE.

Hope this helps :smile:
Good luck with your studies.

Quick Reply

Latest