The Student Room Group

Sunday shifts

Hi I'm wondering if there's any information in the handbook about Sunday shifts ? I'm currently contracted to Sunday but want to drop these shifts as I want to spend more time with family ,, I've told them I will work every other to help them out as they are often short staffed , but apparently this isn't possible as I was told today if you drop contracted Sundays you are not allowed to come in and work on a Sunday ever ??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by helen1975
Hi I'm wondering if there's any information in the handbook about Sunday shifts ? I'm currently contracted to Sunday but want to drop these shifts as I want to spend more time with family ,, I've told them I will work every other to help them out as they are often short staffed , but apparently this isn't possible as I was told today if you drop contracted Sundays you are not allowed to come in and work on a Sunday ever ??

Where do you work?

Can you say what retailer you work with ??
I work with a big name supermarket if it helps.

The thing is with weekends contractual hours you are bind to working it if it clearly states in your company contract.
If it doesn't states that you must work every Sunday or every other Sunday then your boss can't do anything to you about it.
They can tell you that you must work it if it written into your contract okay I'm afraid to say.
Nothing to do with the handbook as it's what written into your actual contract terms and conditions that applies.

Now that is untrue about you not doing one Sunday then you can't do any other Sunday to work overtime.... They seem to be blackmailing you with this the sound of things..... Read your contract terms and conditions and see what it says about working weekends as contractual hours. If not in it them tell them so.

Another thing I wouldn't worry too much about even working it if this is there attitude as you are doing them a favour with coming in to work due to staffing levels unstainable.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
I work for tesco , I'm allowed to drop sundays as it says in my contract but they've told me today if I do I'm not allowed to work any Sunday at all in the future, its weird cause I've been there 20 years and it's the 1st time I've heard of this ?
I work for tesco , I'm allowed to drop sundays as it says in my contract but they've told me today if I do I'm not allowed to work any Sunday at all in the future, its weird cause I've been there 20 years and it's the 1st time I've heard of this ?

If its in your contract that you are allowed to drop them then you should be able to. As long as you are working your contracted number of hours.
Id speak to a manager higher up, or even your union rep if you have one.
Original post by Emma:-)
If its in your contract that you are allowed to drop them then you should be able to. As long as you are working your contracted number of hours.
Id speak to a manager higher up, or even your union rep if you have one.

Contracted hours and days are to be fulfilled. The only exception is paid-holidays. OP can book time-off if they want.
Original post by Mohammed1000000
Contracted hours and days are to be fulfilled. The only exception is paid-holidays. OP can book time-off if they want.

I know contracted hours are to be fulfilled. Thats why i said "As long as you are working your contracted number of hours."
The OP has said that it says in their contract that they are allowed to drop Sundays. So as long as they are doing their contracted number of hours i dont see what the problem is.

Incorrect ok.......
I know contracted hours are to be fulfilled. Thats why i said "As long as you are working your contracted number of hours."
The OP has said that it says in their contract that they are allowed to drop Sundays. So as long as they are doing their contracted number of hours i dont see what the problem is.

Emma
His information is wrong as I work with them remember 😃.
Original post by Tracey_W
Emma
His information is wrong as I work with them remember 😃.

I know yeah. I thought what he said was a bit dodgy.

Hi Helen

I work with Tesco as team leader and stand in supervisor as required since I left school plus I used to be shop steward with them. I been there almost similar time as yourself and never hard staff with this sort of issues you having.

This is first time I heard any manager doing this like...

They are wrong your boss as follow what it says in your contract about able to drop them - talk to your Union rep if unhappy about what they are telling you as if none in store then phone the union office okay.
(edited 2 years ago)
I know yeah. I thought what he said was a bit dodgy.

Ta for understanding that. Yeah he does sound bit dodgy with what he says on all there thread's

Apparently this person who said that works with Sainsbury's, Argos, plus few other places all
Ta for understanding that. Yeah he does sound bit dodgy with what he says on all there thread's

Apparently this person who said that works with Sainsbury's, Argos, plus few other places all

To be honest ive not actually seen any of the other posts. Doesnt look like im missing much.

Nope if there contract states that they can drop Sundays working then they are allowed to.
The contract should say that you must work Sunday then they don't have a case to answer to.

You stick to Sainsbury's Argos etc
To be honest ive not actually seen any of the other posts. Doesnt look like im missing much.

They post in lots of thread's like as I shake my head at it .

You might have to laugh if you come over there other posts...
They post in lots of thread's like as I shake my head at it .

You might have to laugh if you come over there other posts...

Ill have to keep a look out
Ill have to keep a look out

Yeah you should like.

Have a look at thread about " boots payday" it's in part work etc as recently as Today I think it was posted.....
Something about the date that staff are paid there - how would they know this if they don't work there ??
Incorrect ok.......

Apologies that’s Sainsbury policy.
Yeah you should like.

Have a look at thread about " boots payday" it's in part work etc as recently as Today I think it was posted.....
Something about the date that staff are paid there - how would they know this if they don't work there ??

Google it you don’t necessarily have to work there to know.
Apologies that’s Sainsbury policy.

I do know that every retailer has own policy for thing's....

Well you at least acknowledge mistake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending