The Student Room Group

Urgent help- law/university

Hello, so my predicted grade is an A*A*B
A level Law- A*
A level English language - B (getting A/A* now though)
Level 3 diploma - A* (got told false information for unit 1 which led to me getting a low score so maybe an A I will actually get)

Have a very strong personal statement with work experience at a law firm, a 2-year law placement with a university, and 9-5 work experience with law firms but don't think uni's even look at ps at this point.

Okay, so I got rejected by Edinburgh due to them not accepting level 3 diploma criminology so that's gone (was a last-minute choice- got replaced by Manchester) + my brother also told me that my PAT/Tutor aka the one that sends your application off should've told me that Edinburgh doesn't accept criminology. What a nice year it has been for me with all the inaccurate information... Leeds rejected me today probably cause the other A* doesn't balance the B BUT also got told vague information that it was optional to apply to 'access to Leeds' as I would "automatically" be eligible anyways but turns out I'm not and you had to and the deadline was January 26th. Kinda dumb if you ask me because isn't it automatically on your UCAS portfolio if you're a contextual student. Oh well. Rejected by UCL due to LNAT which is the only reasonable one (but to be fair strange to reject a student solely on the LNAT but it's a popular course so makes sense)

and now I'm waiting on KCL and Liverpool but I don't want to go to Liverpool.

Ok so, let's say IF I get rejected by KCL. reckon I should take a gap year? and apply to Leeds again with the access to Leeds which would make the entry AAB, change Edinburgh to a good uni that accepts criminology, and perhaps 1 LNAT uni this time with months in advance preparation?

To answer some future questions, Extra doesn't just do 'Law' so no, and I'm unsure if clearance is the same cause I just want to do Law at a good university.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by student17!
Hello, so my predicted grade is an A*A*B
A level Law- A*
A level English language - B (getting A/A* now though)
Level 3 diploma - A* (got told false information for unit 1 which led to me getting a low score so maybe an A I will actually get)

Okay, so I got rejected by Edinburgh due to them not accepting level 3 diploma criminology so that's gone. Leeds rejected me today probably cause the A* doesn't balance the B BUT also got told vague information that it was optional to apply to access to Leeds as i would automatically be eligible but turns out I'm not. Rejected by UCL due to LNAT which is the only reasonable one (but to be fair strange to reject a student solely on the LNAT but it's a popular course so makes sense)

and now I'm waiting on KCL and Liverpool but I don't want to go to Liverpool.

Ok so, let's say IF I get rejected by KCL. reckon I should take a gap year? and apply to Leeds again with the access to Leeds which would make the entry AAB, change Edinburgh to a good uni that accepts criminology, and perhaps 1 LNAT uni this time with months in advance preparation?

To answer some future questions, Extra doesn't just do 'Law' so no, and I'm unsure if clearance is the same cause I just want to do Law at a good university.

What put you off not wanting to go to liverpool?
Reply 2
Original post by qlozzey
What put you off not wanting to go to liverpool?

It isn't as good for Law and also my tutor who studies Law at the University of Liverpool even said/assumed that is Liverpool my last choice so 🤷*♂️ and I live in Liverpool too so I want to move out.
(edited 2 years ago)
I got into my head last year that Liverpool wasn’t as good as the rest of the RG and so didn’t want to go there, but I wish I hadn’t because going there over Leeds will make no difference tbh, and I wouldn’t recommend taking a gap year because you don’t wanna go Liverpool for this reason and to apply again for a similarly regarded university. Take it from me, when you start your degree you won’t care about your universities league table ranking lol

It’s all about what you want though, and I know it’s generic lol, but only you know what you want. If you really want to move to a different city, and you’d be unhappy staying in Liverpool, then I’d say this is a stronger reason to defer and re apply.

On Access to Leeds, it does say that they CAN filter you out as A2L eligible - but it is not a guarantee. The only way to guarantee is if you apply. This is your fault tbh, it’s all on their website.
All unis have a different contextual requirement so UCAS doesn’t flag you up as contextual for this reason. I (think) what you’re on about is that UCAS flags if you are the first person in your generation to attend uni.

On clearing, there will probably be some RG unis in clearing for law. None of the likes of UCL, but the likes of Leeds/Liverpool. Sheffield/Newcastle are northern unis that could potentially be.

What made you apply for Edinburgh in the first place. Isn’t it a 4 year degree in Scotland?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by LawStudent456
I got into my head last year that Liverpool wasn’t as good as the rest of the RG and so didn’t want to go there, but I wish I hadn’t because going there over Leeds will make no difference tbh, and I wouldn’t recommend taking a gap year because you don’t wanna go Liverpool for this reason and to apply again for a similarly regarded university. Take it from me, when you start your degree you won’t care about your universities league table ranking lol

It’s all about what you want though, and I know it’s generic lol, but only you know what you want. If you really want to move to a different city, and you’d be unhappy staying in Liverpool, then I’d say this is a stronger reason to defer and re apply.

On Access to Leeds, it does say that they CAN filter you out as A2L eligible - but it is not a guarantee. The only way to guarantee is if you apply. This is your fault tbh, it’s all on their website.
All unis have a different contextual requirement so UCAS doesn’t flag you up as contextual for this reason. I (think) what you’re on about is that UCAS flags if you are the first person in your generation to attend uni.

On clearing, there will probably be some RG unis in clearing for law. None of the likes of UCL, but the likes of Leeds/Liverpool. Sheffield/Newcastle are northern unis that could potentially be.

What made you apply for Edinburgh in the first place. Isn’t it a 4 year degree in Scotland?

Thank you for this clear information. Honestly it was so sudden and I was on the phone with Leeds that why and it’s cause Edinburgh is good too with law. Wait why does Leeds do clearing? Would they accept students who got rejected from there?
Thank you for this clear information. Honestly it was so sudden and I was on the phone with Leeds that why and it’s cause Edinburgh is good too with law. Wait why does Leeds do clearing? Would they accept students who got rejected from there?

Leeds could be in clearing for law, no one knows who will or won’t. Yes they could still accept you even tho they rejected you.
Reply 6
Original post by LawStudent456
Leeds could be in clearing for law, no one knows who will or won’t. Yes they could still accept you even tho they rejected you.

Genuinely thank you for your help! If you don’t mind me asking, isn’t most courses like Leeds full for law already? How would they have a few gaps? Or is it for students who don’t end up meeting their predicted grades? And if Leeds do it, would there be another access to Leeds forum?
Genuinely thank you for your help! If you don’t mind me asking, isn’t most courses like Leeds full for law already? How would they have a few gaps? Or is it for students who don’t end up meeting their predicted grades? And if Leeds do it, would there be another access to Leeds forum?

Yes, people who don’t get in.

No lol, no A2L form for clearing

Quick Reply