The Student Room Group

BSc Real Estate (Investment & finance in property)

Hello, trying to decide between Business Analytics at Southampton and real estate/finance & investment BSc at Reading for September 2022. Anyone got any opinion or suggestions. Son is looking for career in finance probably, but not keen to do accounting/finance courses with A Level subjects Business, politics & economics.
Reply 1
Business Analytics will allow him to work in any sector,
real estate/finance & investment BSc will ring fence him to real estate/finance,
if he dislikes accounting/finance courses, he is out of luck real estate/finance & investment has a significant amount of it
Original post by AmaUmu
Business Analytics will allow him to work in any sector,
real estate/finance & investment BSc will ring fence him to real estate/finance,
if he dislikes accounting/finance courses, he is out of luck real estate/finance & investment has a significant amount of it

Thanks for the reply; he doesn’t dislike A&F because it’s the finance side he’s interested in- but it’s the accounting side he’s not so interested in. He doesn’t want to be an accountant so seems daft to spend half his degree studying it. But the concern about business analytics is that it’s too heavily tech biased, with programming etc, which also isn’t his main area of interest. He would like to do a pure finance course but without MathsALevel or GCSE grade 7 (he has a 6) he can’t get into finance courses. So we’re a bit stuck. It’s so complicated to know which way to guide him - and he doesn’t seem to know himself either.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mumwithnoidea
Thanks for the reply; he doesn’t dislike A&F because it’s the finance side he’s interested in- but it’s the accounting side he’s not so interested in. He doesn’t want to be an accountant so seems daft to spend half his degree studying it. But the concern about business analytics is that it’s too heavily tech biased, with programming etc, which also isn’t his main area of interest. He would like to do a pure finance course but without MathsALevel or GCSE grade 7 (he has a 6) he can’t get into finance courses. So we’re a bit stuck. It’s so complicated to know which way to guide him - and he doesn’t seem to know himself either.

Depends where he studies, i work in Business Intelligence and analytics, its a hybrid IT and Business vocation, some BA degree concentrate on Data visualization , with soft scripting , SQL R and some python,
it might be easier for him to do a general Business degree, and learn SQL,SQL Server , advanced Excel and a Data Visualization tool on his own, before , he graduates university, i have a joint degree with a minor in Business Studies, i have been a BI Consultant, for a long time
(edited 2 years ago)
One can go into finance with any degree realistically, except for a small range of very quantitative roles (which mostly recruit engineers, physicists, mathematicians and computer scientists anyway). However note that for investment banking it's critical to go to a target university, which neither is. I believe Reading is pretty strong in the real estate/planning/quantity surveying realm generally however, although this may not make a difference if it's not of interest.
Original post by artful_lounger
One can go into finance with any degree realistically, except for a small range of very quantitative roles (which mostly recruit engineers, physicists, mathematicians and computer scientists anyway). However note that for investment banking it's critical to go to a target university, which neither is. I believe Reading is pretty strong in the real estate/planning/quantity surveying realm generally however, although this may not make a difference if it's not of interest.

Thanks again for your input - it’s an ongoing decision!
Everyone needs real estate in today's world. I am sure that the purchase of real estate will make each person more confident in the future and will help to multiply your money several times. you should familiarize yourself with property for sale in costa blanca and chic apartments on this site will pleasantly surprise you. do not worry, I have been cooperating with this company regularly lately and guarantee their reliability and high professionalism
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending