The Student Room Group

Exam in 2 days

I have one day until mocks and I have done no revsion and only a few Practice questions((not enough to get me at least a D). The biggest concern for me is the fact that I'm not at all bothered by the fact that I haven't revised and that this will effect my future greatly but it's just not sinking in at all. By this time, I know there's no point sitting around and being worried about this but I'm really conflicted...
Reply 1
No one can help you until you help yourself, I'm afraid,

Best of luck.
Well, you probably can’t cram the content now. Could you make a revision timetable for the real exams, and speak to your teachers about it?

Do you have any uni offers or job/apprenticeship offers - having to meet grades can be more motivating.
Reply 3
Original post by becausethenight
Well, you probably can’t cram the content now. Could you make a revision timetable for the real exams, and speak to your teachers about it?

Do you have any uni offers or job/apprenticeship offers - having to meet grades can be more motivating.

No not yet since I'm in Yr12. I would really like to make a timetable but I don't know how to make a realistic one and if anything, how to make onein general, for example, in terms of its structure, what I should include and how long I should spend...

I would really like to speak to my teachers as they are concerned as well but I'm not really sure what to start with and I'm not very comfortable with talking to them as I feel I would be putting more pressure on them then I should be (which is obviously my fault for not putting in the effort).

I know it's their job to help me but I feel like they might be uncomfortable with me too as almost every student in their class is doing quite well. I definitely know a few of my teachers would be happy to help me but I'm scared in case I break down and not know what to say. I really want to talk to someone who will take the time to try and make me understand that A-levels are an important stage of my life without them judging me...Am I overthinking this or am I just being petty? I'm sorry for the long message and thank you for your advice!
Reply 4
Original post by Schotel
No one can help you until you help yourself, I'm afraid,

Best of luck.

That is very true, thank you!
Original post by EstL
I really want to talk to someone who will take the time to try and make me understand that A-levels are an important stage of my life without them judging me...

Teachers will take time to explain to you things that you don't understand - but you do understand or you couldn't have written this post. They've got better things to do than indulge someone who's playing hard to get. You're in year 12 now. You've got to get past needing to have your hand held all the time, and you've got to do it, nobody can do it for you. Your teachers are here to help you with the things you don't know how to do - that's what you need to ask them about.

(Aside: why is an exam barely half way through year 12 being called "mocks"? Mocks are the last set of school exams before your real external exams and involve the entire syllabus in the same form as the real thing - that's why they are called mocks. You are doing an internal school exam based on a tiny subset of the syllabus. It won't have any impact at all on your future unless you ignore what you learn from it about your progress so far.)
Reply 6
Original post by skylark2
Teachers will take time to explain to you things that you don't understand - but you do understand or you couldn't have written this post. They've got better things to do than indulge someone who's playing hard to get. You're in year 12 now. You've got to get past needing to have your hand held all the time, and you've got to do it, nobody can do it for you. Your teachers are here to help you with the things you don't know how to do - that's what you need to ask them about.

(Aside: why is an exam barely half way through year 12 being called "mocks"? Mocks are the last set of school exams before your real external exams and involve the entire syllabus in the same form as the real thing - that's why they are called mocks. You are doing an internal school exam based on a tiny subset of the syllabus. It won't have any impact at all on your future unless you ignore what you learn from it about your progress so far.)

Will these exams not affect my predicted grades at the end of year 12? I heard that these February tests will be taken into consideration before my final mocks in June to determine what predicted grades I will get given or something along those lines... I know these tests are not proper mocks but won't my predicted grades determine whether I get an offer from my chosen universities?? Sorry for being ignorant!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by EstL
No not yet since I'm in Yr12. I would really like to make a timetable but I don't know how to make a realistic one and if anything, how to make onein general, for example, in terms of its structure, what I should include and how long I should spend...

I would really like to speak to my teachers as they are concerned as well but I'm not really sure what to start with and I'm not very comfortable with talking to them as I feel I would be putting more pressure on them then I should be (which is obviously my fault for not putting in the effort).

I know it's their job to help me but I feel like they might be uncomfortable with me too as almost every student in their class is doing quite well. I definitely know a few of my teachers would be happy to help me but I'm scared in case I break down and not know what to say. I really want to talk to someone who will take the time to try and make me understand that A-levels are an important stage of my life without them judging me...Am I overthinking this or am I just being petty? I'm sorry for the long message and thank you for your advice!

Ah okay - that's kind of weird as Y12 exams aren't usually called mocks?

For me, I usually tried to identify what I wanted to cover - so maybe 2x past paper per subject and 5 topics per subject to revise, or whatever (this can vary depending on your subjects and what you actually have to do for them, so for Bio I might have just had "go over plant nutrition" and for Latin "make theme quote sheet around Fate") and then slot them into the time you have. In the example above, if you have 20 days, you might do 1 past paper every 3rd day and revise 2 topics a day, roughly. You know how much work you can do in the time you have and what's realistic for you in terms of breaks etc. I tried to do mine very much based on what I NEEDED to do, not needing to do 5hrs/day or something like that. Being able to identify what you actually need to work on is a key skill here and something teachers can help you with..

I really wouldn't worry about bothering your teachers - this is part of their job (they do get paid) and they presumably want to see you succeed :smile: Even just saying "hey, I'm not happy with my grades but I don't really know what to do" opens the conversation and shows that you're willing to improve.

They have seen it all before, including students in tears, and they would much rather that than that you didn't care! You can't help yourself if you don't let other people help you :hugs:

In terms of helping with motivation, if you know what you'd like to do after A levels, researching that and knowing what you need to do to get there can give you a boost?

Quick Reply

Latest