The Student Room Group

Computer science super curriculars

Deleted
(edited 1 year ago)
That seems like quite a lot, and a good background. You could look at some maths related activities like SMC etc (not sure if that's England specific though), since CS degrees include a fair bit of mathematical content and that can indicate your ability to deal with the more theoretical and abstract elements of CS.

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
That seems like quite a lot, and a good background. You could look at some maths related activities like SMC etc (not sure if that's England specific though), since CS degrees include a fair bit of mathematical content and that can indicate your ability to deal with the more theoretical and abstract elements of CS.

Spoiler

We can take part in UKMT which is a maths challenge although I'm not too sure what SMT is. St Andrews is ranked higher than Edinburgh in national rankings but Edinburgh ranks higher in global rankings. This is because St Andrews teaching is much better but it doesn't have a large research department as it's quite small and Edinburgh has slightly worse teaching but much better research
Original post by joe7898
We can take part in UKMT which is a maths challenge although I'm not too sure what SMT is.

SMC is part of the UKMT suite which is what I meant :smile:
Reply 4
SMC is part of the UKMT suite which is what I meant :smile:

Cool, I will definitely look into doing this then. Anything else?
Original post by joe7898
Cool, I will definitely look into doing this then. Anything else?

Nothing else comes to mind. I would note the UKMT stuff is by no means necessary and I think you have more than enough to talk about of relevance already!
Reply 6
Nothing else comes to mind. I would note the UKMT stuff is by no means necessary and I think you have more than enough to talk about of relevance already!

Yeah, I might just be overthinking this as I have heard that St Andrews is super competitive so want my personal statement to be as good as possible. I probably will do UKMT anyways as I do quite enjoy maths and don't have much else to do tbh. Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by joe7898
Hi, I am an s5 student who is predicted 5As at higher, but also meet widening access requirements, and want to study computer science at St Andrews. My grades are good so is there anything I can do to stand out. Any help would be much appreciated

This may be a bit late... but for future reference for others perhaps
I'm in S5 at the moment, and I've heard these are good:
Bebras/Oxford Computing Challenge
Personal projects
research
maths (as stated)
related books
online courses

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending