The Student Room Group

What are the chances of getting into a doctorate in counselling psychology?

Currently, I’m doing A Levels in psychology, sociology and BTEC applied science. I’m hoping to do a degree in psychology, most likely not in a russell group uni as I think I’ll find it hard to get into one. I’ve seen so many horror stories of people who’ve constantly been rejected from a doctorate programme even with a psychology degree. I was wondering what the universities actually require from you other than the degree to get onto the doctorate programme and how I can go about getting them done by the time I finish a psychology degree.
I haven't completed a doctorate myself but a few of my friends pursued them. The dissertation is now an optional module at a lot of universities and so make sure that you do choose it - it will show that you are minded to research. Speak to your tutors while you are uni and seek out opportunities to get involved in research and possibly even try getting published (although this is incredibly hard at undergrad).

I wouldn't worry about it too much at this stage, keep your options open because you might decide it's not for you once you have experienced uni or you may just find something that makes you more interested. But you will be surrounded by people who have the exact progression and qualifications you want so you could not be in a better place to be guided with advice.
Reply 2
Original post by one_two_three
I haven't completed a doctorate myself but a few of my friends pursued them. The dissertation is now an optional module at a lot of universities and so make sure that you do choose it - it will show that you are minded to research. Speak to your tutors while you are uni and seek out opportunities to get involved in research and possibly even try getting published (although this is incredibly hard at undergrad).

I wouldn't worry about it too much at this stage, keep your options open because you might decide it's not for you once you have experienced uni or you may just find something that makes you more interested. But you will be surrounded by people who have the exact progression and qualifications you want so you could not be in a better place to be guided with advice.

Thank you for the advice. I would like to be a counsellor but I equally wouldn’t mind doing a teacher training year in social sciences. My passion is mental health buts it’s more applicable to young people so teaching and being within the education system could also enable me to play a part in that in some way

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending