The Student Room Group

Student Opinions on Graphics degree at Manchester Met vs Nottingham Trent?

Hi! I will be going to uni this year to study Graphic Design, but i'm struggling to pick a firm choice. I've narrowed my options down to MMU and NT, but i'd love to hear some student opinions from people who are studying/have studied the course to help me decide.

What are the lecture staff like, do you find them friendly and feel supported in your work?
Are you encouraged to explore your prefered areas of design or do you feel restricted by the course content?
How prepared do you feel for working in the design industry - what are your thoughts on the uni's options for work placements, work focused briefs etc?
What is the balance between collaborative and independent work like?
Do you feel a range of skills and types of briefs (e.g. print, branding, digital, physical) are covered?
What is your general opinion of the uni and the course?

Thank you so much! :smile:))
Original post by Annabel.H
Hi! I will be going to uni this year to study Graphic Design, but i'm struggling to pick a firm choice. I've narrowed my options down to MMU and NT, but i'd love to hear some student opinions from people who are studying/have studied the course to help me decide.

What are the lecture staff like, do you find them friendly and feel supported in your work?
Are you encouraged to explore your prefered areas of design or do you feel restricted by the course content?
How prepared do you feel for working in the design industry - what are your thoughts on the uni's options for work placements, work focused briefs etc?
What is the balance between collaborative and independent work like?
Do you feel a range of skills and types of briefs (e.g. print, branding, digital, physical) are covered?
What is your general opinion of the uni and the course?

Thank you so much! :smile:))

Hi @Annabel.H

Congratulations on your offers! It can be really hard deciding which to amek your firm and insurance choices, hopefully some previous or current students will find your thread and will be able to give you some information from their perspective. However, i thought it might be helpful to give you some information on the course and university!

Course content

In Year 1 you will be introduced to the studio-based culture of the course through a series of design projects encouraging the development of ideas, experimentation with visual language and acquisition of technical skills. This is supported by a contextual programme that places practical elements into a wider cultural, critical and social context.

After developing your creative visual language in Year 1, you will be able to apply your skills to a range of personal and industry-related projects in Year 2. In Year 2 you will study more specific areas of graphic design practice. A programme of workshop projects develops both technical and conceptual skills. Studio content is developed in liaison with industry and offers opportunities for work experience.

Your final year will see you develop a professional portfolio that reflects your personal interests and individual career aspirations. In Year 3 you will study a series of self-directed options designed to develop a professional portfolio that reflects your individual careers aspirations. Your work is supported by a visiting lecture programme that offers a diverse range of perspectives across the whole platform of graphic design practice.

You can find more information on the individual units and their content for each year here: https://www.art.mmu.ac.uk/graphicdesign/

Work experience and placements

At all stages of our course we focus on contemporary and relevant design that embraces imaginative thinking. You have the opportunity to connect with industry, either through visiting speakers, 'live' briefs or work experience.

Recent destinations for work experience have included The Designers Republic, Love Creative, The Chase, True North, Bert Agency, Dinosaur, Wired magazine, Penguin Books, Truth, Code Computer Love, Modern Designers, Hope for Justice, Creative Concern, Topman, Liberty, Havas Lynx, Men's Health magazine, Design By Day, The Mill, Gyro, Elle magazine, Condé Nast, BBC, ITV, Hinterland (NY), Mike Perry (NY), Eskimo Creative, Instruct Graphics, Saatchi & Saatchi, TBWA and Vogue magazine.

Although placements are not guaranteed as it is the students responsibility to apply and obtain placements, you will be fully supported by our dedicated placements team to help you find a suitable placement.

Teaching staff

Your studies are supported by a team of committed and enthusiastic teachers and researchers, experts in their chosen field. We also work with external professionals, many of whom are Manchester Met alumni, to enhance your learning and appreciation of the wider subject. You can view our teaching staff on the Graphic Design course here: https://www.art.mmu.ac.uk/graphicdesign/ Each staff member has a profile which contains details of their teaching and professional experience.

Career opportunities

Graduates of our course have gone on to be designers in design consultancies and in-house teams for industry and public authorities; magazine and publication designers; art directors and creative teams in advertising agencies; digital media designers and filmmakers for creative online content.

At Manchester Met, we have an excellent careers team who will support you during your studies and even after you have graduated and are part of our Alumni community. There are several things our team can help with from; Writing cover letters and CVs, preparing for interviews, helping you gain volunteer or part-time paid work experience and much more. You can find more information here: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/careers/

We often have graduate events such as; Speak to employers, work placement fairs and graduate job fairs. These events will give you the opportunity to meet with employers offering graduate jobs and internships to find out what they are looking for and possibly apply. There are several graduate schemes we advertise for businesses every year, which you may wish to apply for and get involved in once you have graduated. We also have 'My Career Hub' which is exclusive to Manchester Met students and graduates, our jobs board is available to you for life! You can check out the job board for new vacancies from local and national employers during your studies and for graduate jobs.

You can chat with our current students on our Access platform here: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/chatwithus/

You can find more information about our courses and take campus tours on our new Victual Experience here: https://virtualexperience.mmu.ac.uk/welcome

I hope some of this helps! Hopefully. some students will be able to find your thread and give you their insight onto the course,

Carly :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Manchester Metropolitan University
Hi @Annabel.H

Congratulations on your offers! It can be really hard deciding which to amek your firm and insurance choices, hopefully some previous or current students will find your thread and will be able to give you some information from their perspective. However, i thought it might be helpful to give you some information on the course and university!

Course content

In Year 1 you will be introduced to the studio-based culture of the course through a series of design projects encouraging the development of ideas, experimentation with visual language and acquisition of technical skills. This is supported by a contextual programme that places practical elements into a wider cultural, critical and social context.

After developing your creative visual language in Year 1, you will be able to apply your skills to a range of personal and industry-related projects in Year 2. In Year 2 you will study more specific areas of graphic design practice. A programme of workshop projects develops both technical and conceptual skills. Studio content is developed in liaison with industry and offers opportunities for work experience.

Your final year will see you develop a professional portfolio that reflects your personal interests and individual career aspirations. In Year 3 you will study a series of self-directed options designed to develop a professional portfolio that reflects your individual careers aspirations. Your work is supported by a visiting lecture programme that offers a diverse range of perspectives across the whole platform of graphic design practice.

You can find more information on the individual units and their content for each year here: https://www.art.mmu.ac.uk/graphicdesign/

Work experience and placements

At all stages of our course we focus on contemporary and relevant design that embraces imaginative thinking. You have the opportunity to connect with industry, either through visiting speakers, 'live' briefs or work experience.

Recent destinations for work experience have included The Designers Republic, Love Creative, The Chase, True North, Bert Agency, Dinosaur, Wired magazine, Penguin Books, Truth, Code Computer Love, Modern Designers, Hope for Justice, Creative Concern, Topman, Liberty, Havas Lynx, Men's Health magazine, Design By Day, The Mill, Gyro, Elle magazine, Condé Nast, BBC, ITV, Hinterland (NY), Mike Perry (NY), Eskimo Creative, Instruct Graphics, Saatchi & Saatchi, TBWA and Vogue magazine.

Although placements are not guaranteed as it is the students responsibility to apply and obtain placements, you will be fully supported by our dedicated placements team to help you find a suitable placement.

Teaching staff

Your studies are supported by a team of committed and enthusiastic teachers and researchers, experts in their chosen field. We also work with external professionals, many of whom are Manchester Met alumni, to enhance your learning and appreciation of the wider subject. You can view our teaching staff on the Graphic Design course here: https://www.art.mmu.ac.uk/graphicdesign/ Each staff member has a profile which contains details of their teaching and professional experience.

Career opportunities

Graduates of our course have gone on to be designers in design consultancies and in-house teams for industry and public authorities; magazine and publication designers; art directors and creative teams in advertising agencies; digital media designers and filmmakers for creative online content.

At Manchester Met, we have an excellent careers team who will support you during your studies and even after you have graduated and are part of our Alumni community. There are several things our team can help with from; Writing cover letters and CVs, preparing for interviews, helping you gain volunteer or part-time paid work experience and much more. You can find more information here: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/careers/

We often have graduate events such as; Speak to employers, work placement fairs and graduate job fairs. These events will give you the opportunity to meet with employers offering graduate jobs and internships to find out what they are looking for and possibly apply. There are several graduate schemes we advertise for businesses every year, which you may wish to apply for and get involved in once you have graduated. We also have 'My Career Hub' which is exclusive to Manchester Met students and graduates, our jobs board is available to you for life! You can check out the job board for new vacancies from local and national employers during your studies and for graduate jobs.

You can chat with our current students on our Access platform here: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/chatwithus/

You can find more information about our courses and take campus tours on our new Victual Experience here: https://virtualexperience.mmu.ac.uk/welcome

I hope some of this helps! Hopefully. some students will be able to find your thread and give you their insight onto the course,

Carly :smile:

Hi Carly,
Thank you so much for your response, it's been really helpful to read! The course is exactly what I was looking for, and it's great to hear about all the careers support.
Thank you for your help
Annabel :smile:
Original post by Annabel.H
Hi Carly,
Thank you so much for your response, it's been really helpful to read! The course is exactly what I was looking for, and it's great to hear about all the careers support.
Thank you for your help
Annabel :smile:

Hi @Annabel.H

No probelm at all! I am glad it was helpful for you and its good to hear its exactly what you are looking for :smile: Hopefully, we will see you in September :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest