The Student Room Group

should i redo year 12?

So basically I am currently doing biology, chemistry and psychology and I am predicted a B in biology, an A* in psychology and a D in chemistry this is based of christmas mocks as I got a C in biology, an A in psychology and a U in chemistry. I am really struggling with chemistry however much i revise i just don’t understand it and it’s really taking it’s toll on my mental health. So I’m considering whether I should retake year 12 continuing with biology and psychology as I do enjoy them but changing chemistry to sociology. But I really don’t want to disappoint my parents after they’ve spent so much on chemistry tuition for me :frown: Also will russell group universities and top unis still accept me if I retake this year?
Russell groups will still take you etc, if it truly isn't good for your health I would recommend retaking. However, depending on how hard you work, you could switch subjects now and will have to catch up, you could easily do this through the rest of the year and in summer. But I am assuming you are currently in year 12, its okay to not be amazing at one subject atm, my growth from year 12 to now (preparing for exams) is astronomical, I got a U in English in year 12 now I am a B, its all about progress, take to step by step, breathe, try some different revision techniques? Past papers were amazing in helping my grades, they are boring but just try one, then go through it with your notes. I hope this helps :smile:

P.S. Schools put too much pressure on top unis, go to the uni with the best Course and situation for you, not the one which is the highest ranking, plus Russell groups aren't always that good, they are only Russell groups because they are accredited for the research they've done in the past.
Original post by giveonsupremacy
So basically I am currently doing biology, chemistry and psychology and I am predicted a B in biology, an A* in psychology and a D in chemistry this is based of christmas mocks as I got a C in biology, an A in psychology and a U in chemistry. I am really struggling with chemistry however much i revise i just don’t understand it and it’s really taking it’s toll on my mental health. So I’m considering whether I should retake year 12 continuing with biology and psychology as I do enjoy them but changing chemistry to sociology. But I really don’t want to disappoint my parents after they’ve spent so much on chemistry tuition for me :frown: Also will russell group universities and top unis still accept me if I retake this year?

This is my exact situation, don't let this continue to y13, chemistry is the worst part of my life, I need a B, getting E's. Change now, put yourself first, and go to the uni you want to!
Retake it!
Original post by erinmill
Russell groups will still take you etc, if it truly isn't good for your health I would recommend retaking. However, depending on how hard you work, you could switch subjects now and will have to catch up, you could easily do this through the rest of the year and in summer. But I am assuming you are currently in year 12, its okay to not be amazing at one subject atm, my growth from year 12 to now (preparing for exams) is astronomical, I got a U in English in year 12 now I am a B, its all about progress, take to step by step, breathe, try some different revision techniques? Past papers were amazing in helping my grades, they are boring but just try one, then go through it with your notes. I hope this helps :smile:

P.S. Schools put too much pressure on top unis, go to the uni with the best Course and situation for you, not the one which is the highest ranking, plus Russell groups aren't always that good, they are only Russell groups because they are accredited for the research they've done in the past.

I honestly just don’t enjoy chemistry so that means I don’t know if I could work hard enough to boost my grades up bc I have no motivation whatsoever and as someone that craves academic validation seeing how badly my grade is has jus emotionally drained me if that makes sense. I do past papers but my problem is that I’ll start understanding a topic but then when it comes to a question on it I don’t understand and get overwhelmed. But omg congratulations to you for boosting your grades up by that much that’s incredible!
Original post by CatInTheCorner
This is my exact situation, don't let this continue to y13, chemistry is the worst part of my life, I need a B, getting E's. Change now, put yourself first, and go to the uni you want to!

you in year 12 rn or year 13? frr taking chemistry is my biggest regret. I want to put myself first but I’m really scared of disappointing my parents and wasting their money on all the tuition and resources they’ve spent to help me with chemistry :frown:
you in year 12 rn or year 13? frr taking chemistry is my biggest regret. I want to put myself first but I’m really scared of disappointing my parents and wasting their money on all the tuition and resources they’ve spent to help me with chemistry :frown:

y13, I got tutors too, don't do it, it doesn't get any better, tutors can't make you like it, get out when you can!
I am exactly the same as you, it was a big emotional struggle and rollercoaster and included therapy lol, but English is definitely much easier to improve than chemistry, so I would probs retake :smile:

Although you don’t want to disappoint your parents, ultimately these are your grades that you will use to get to the next stage of study - there is no point doing a subject you hate and aren’t getting good grades in. It won’t be useful for you in terms of applying for uni/getting jobs. These qualifications are for your benefit, not your parents.
If I were you, I would do year 12 again but with subjects that you enjoy and will do well in. Ultimately your parents want your success and happiness, so you won’t be disappointing them that way!
Retake! Retake! Retake! Universities do not care as (except for medicine) and you will not improve chemistry unfortunately! It only gets harder!

RETAKE IT 100% I was an a good student in gcses, got all 9s was top of the class in lots of them and everything was going swell. I took the wrong a levels because i was convinced that going into stem was the best option for me and it screwed up my mental health, i stuck with my a levels and I ended up getting poor grades because I was too sick to study and took loads of time out from term and ended up in hospital from stress and when I did start uni (i started durham) i dropped out because I was too burnt out and took a couple years out because I was sooo discouraged and broken down from a levels. I wish I just did it over again y'know. Mine was an extreme case though, so if you feel like you can do it and you want to then by all means do, but if you really hate it, don't invest in a mistake, drop it now and be happy and get the grades you want!
update no one asked for lmaoo but i told my mum in absolute tears the day before yesterday literally the day before my chem mock that i want to drop nd redo the whole year so i can swap out chem nd she said okay! tho she might of low-key said that jus so i wouldn’t end up in the hospital after having 3 nosebleeds in the span of 2 days from stress loool
Original post by _Basquiat
RETAKE IT 100% I was an a good student in gcses, got all 9s was top of the class in lots of them and everything was going swell. I took the wrong a levels because i was convinced that going into stem was the best option for me and it screwed up my mental health, i stuck with my a levels and I ended up getting poor grades because I was too sick to study and took loads of time out from term and ended up in hospital from stress and when I did start uni (i started durham) i dropped out because I was too burnt out and took a couple years out because I was sooo discouraged and broken down from a levels. I wish I just did it over again y'know. Mine was an extreme case though, so if you feel like you can do it and you want to then by all means do, but if you really hate it, don't invest in a mistake, drop it now and be happy and get the grades you want!

omg hope you’re doing better now but yh i’m really worried that i could end up on that same path like i get overwhelmed really easily nd completely stressed nd burn myself out as well
If anyone does sociology please can you let me know how the subject is nd also what possible degrees can i do with biology psychology and sociology. Or is it possible to not have to retake and to finish in 2 years with 3 a levels in which one is not Chemistry?
(edited 1 year ago)
dont, as long as you have high predicted grades uni will still give offers, talk to your teachers about it. Will save you redoing the year as AS isnt that important
Original post by SuttonOG
dont, as long as you have high predicted grades uni will still give offers, talk to your teachers about it. Will save you redoing the year as AS isnt that important

currently my predicted is standing at a D however i had a chem mock yesterday nd that’s what they are basing our predicted grades of nd ngl that mock went awful so I don’t exactly have the highest of hopes for myself lol nd honestly i jus really can’t do this subject anymore like no matter how much i revise i jus don’t understand it nd it’s only gonna get worse in year 13
I had DEU AS grades and I got offers back for A*AA courses lol
Original post by SuttonOG
I had DEU AS grades and I got offers back for A*AA courses lol

wait omg fr? what subjects nd how did you improve so much also congratulations btw!
You haven't failed yet, don't you think it's a little extremely to re-take the entire first year because you're stuggling on a single subject?
You're not in Year 13 yet and still have so much time to bring that grade back up, I personally don't think it's worth re-taking everything simply for one subject, but you know best and you should do whatever you think is the right choice.
Maybe talk it over with someone at school? I'm sure they'll understand you're situation!

Quick Reply

Latest