Are these the same questions?

Watch this thread
zarahh09
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Is this question: explain how proteins are modified and packaged for release from a cell

the same as these:
1) Explain how proteins are manufactured and packaged for transport
2) describe the manufacture, transport and packaging of extracellular enzymes

I used one of my answers from 1 or 2 would it answer the question above?
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
The first question says modified and packaged for release from a cell, while the second one says manufactured and packaged for transport. Thus I don't think they're the same question, although the section about packaging may be similar for both.

A protein being transported doesn't necessarily mean it will be transported out of the cell, and the process may be different for internal transport within the cell, than for being transported outside of the cell. The modification of a protein may not be the same as the manufacture/production of a protein - I'm not that familiar with the biology as it's been years since I did it but linguistically "modified" suggests something that exists is changed, while "manufactured" suggests something being built up from scratch.

Reality Check can probably give better pointers on exam technique for biology in terms of these questions, as it's been years since I've looked at any biology Generally though if an exam question uses different wording, that is usually quite specific and indicating they're looking for different information, in my experience.
zarahh09
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
The first question says modified and packaged for release from a cell, while the second one says manufactured and packaged for transport. Thus I don't think they're the same question, although the section about packaging may be similar for both.

A protein being transported doesn't necessarily mean it will be transported out of the cell, and the process may be different for internal transport within the cell, than for being transported outside of the cell. The modification of a protein may not be the same as the manufacture/production of a protein - I'm not that familiar with the biology as it's been years since I did it but linguistically "modified" suggests something that exists is changed, while "manufactured" suggests something being built up from scratch.

Reality Check can probably give better pointers on exam technique for biology in terms of these questions, as it's been years since I've looked at any biology Generally though if an exam question uses different wording, that is usually quite specific and indicating they're looking for different information, in my experience.
I am not sure on how to answer the first question so i thought maybe using my answers from the other 2 might work
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
The first question says...
Thanks for the tag

(Original post by zarahh09)
Is this question: explain how proteins are modified and packaged for release from a cell

the same as these:
1) Explain how proteins are manufactured and packaged for transport
2) describe the manufacture, transport and packaging of extracellular enzymes

I used one of my answers from 1 or 2 would it answer the question above?
As AL says, questions are very specific, and looking for specific responses. What they are not looking for is you to vomit up a pre-prepared, 'model' answer in response to some trigger words. The questions you've put in (1) and (2) are related to the question asked, but not 'the same' question. You must answer the question you've been asked, not the one you hoped you'd been asked - this is a general exam technique.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (9)
37.5%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (8)
33.33%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
8.33%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (1)
4.17%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
12.5%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
4.17%

Watched Threads