The Student Room Group

This Ukraine situation is making me lose my mind

I'm a mess right now. The situation in Ukraine is ratcheting up daily, and it appears to be turning into a major proxy war between Russia and the west. Putin has been threating the use of nukes, NATO are sending more and more weapons to aid the Ukranians. This is a total **** show and is becoming a repeat of the Cuban missile crisis but worse.

I haven't slept properly for 3 days, I'm constantly checking the news, I'm not keeping food down and I've put off seeing my girlfriend because I don't want to worry her (Just said that I'm unwell).

I just hate the state of this world. Humans are such a ****ed up species. We're living our lives now under the knowledge that at any moment, we may experience a terrifying nuclear annhilation. I'm thinking about all of those I care about, all my memories, all the beauty in this world...and I'm losing my mind over the possibility that **** could hit the fan soon. This world sucks. Nuclear weapons suck. 'Leaders' suck.
If you want to know more about how this all came to be look up Euromaidan protests and US involvement. Protesters were SHOT by snipers, which was blamed Ukraine's leader who was then ousted.
Ever since then, Washington has had influence over Ukraine and armed it. Not only that, but they've threatened Ukraine's Russian population that's around 17%.

There was a leaked call between Britain's EU foreign affairs Chief Catherine Ashton and Estonian foreign minister that said opposition may have been behind the snipers.

Yes I know RT but it was easiest to find and post. Western media covered it briefly.. then forgot about it. :smile:

DailyMail
155y.jpg
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Nukes are honestly the worst thing humans have ever created in their entire existence as a species, it's worrying how the creativity of humans is not used in more....producive areas such as cancer research but instead used to create as much devistation and destruction as possible.
Original post by Yojmoj
I'm a mess right now. The situation in Ukraine is ratcheting up daily, and it appears to be turning into a major proxy war between Russia and the west. Putin has been threating the use of nukes, NATO are sending more and more weapons to aid the Ukranians. This is a total **** show and is becoming a repeat of the Cuban missile crisis but worse.

I haven't slept properly for 3 days, I'm constantly checking the news, I'm not keeping food down and I've put off seeing my girlfriend because I don't want to worry her (Just said that I'm unwell).

I just hate the state of this world. Humans are such a ****ed up species. We're living our lives now under the knowledge that at any moment, we may experience a terrifying nuclear annhilation. I'm thinking about all of those I care about, all my memories, all the beauty in this world...and I'm losing my mind over the possibility that **** could hit the fan soon. This world sucks. Nuclear weapons suck. 'Leaders' suck.

A lot of people will be having sleepless nights. :yep: Of course, we shouldn't forget that this is precisely what Putin's operatives want - the nuclear threats are designed to try to intimidate Western opinion and make us pressure our governments not to be involved. They've got quite a history now of threating countries with nuclear weapons, they've done it to Denmark, Finland, Norway, Turkey and others. It's all part of their thuggish approach. In a way it's a sign of desperation. As events in Ukraine are showing, their armed forces are really not all that effective. They are mostly good at enabling barbaric puppet governments like Assad in Syria to drop bombs on helpless civilians.
Original post by Yojmoj

Moved to Mental Health section. The N&CA section is for the sharing and discussion of news articles only.
Hello, sorry to hear your feeling like this. I feel the same too and I can't seem to get rid of this anxiety. The first thing I would say is that we need to focus on what we can control (our thoughts and actions) we need to have a routine in our lives and try and limit reading the news if you constantly check it. And most importantly, if you believe in prayer, pray. I hope this helps in some way. I feel the same so I don't really know what to say but the things I've mentioned above helped me abit.
If you think this is worse than the Cuban Missile Crisis, you really should read more history. At that point the Soviet Navy was steaming toward Cuba, just off the south coast of Florida, and everyone had their guns out. Right now, Putin is just playing this stupid despot game because he knows the entire world is transfixed by a combination of covid, culture war and social media - and there has never been a weaker US President. He can literally do what he wants in Ukraine.

However, if he puts his finger anywhere near the nuclear trigger, someone in the Kremlin will off him. It's as simple as that, and he knows it.

Quick Reply

Latest