Turn on thread page Beta

... what would you change?

id make it harder for illegal immigrants to get into the country. if any immigrant who has entered the country is involved in any crime they would be sent back to their own country

bush would get no support for his stupid wars

car insurance prices would be reduced for young drivers

TV licence's would be abolished if you have a TV package (i.e sky, cable)

ReputationRep:
    I'd abolish that ridiculous "get 50% of school leavers to go to university" policy. And also legalise hunting again. Probably other stuff too, but I've not really thought it through :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew2022)
    ... what would you change?

id make it harder for illegal immigrants to get into the country. if any immigrant who has entered the country is involved in any crime they would be sent back to their own country

bush would get no support for his stupid wars

car insurance prices would be reduced for young drivers

TV licence's would be abolished if you have a TV package (i.e sky, cable)
    Fair enough, stopping illegal immigrants is fair enough, but what about all of those immigrants thare are perfectly within their rights under the law to be in this country.

Since younger drivers generally are invloved in more accidents and therefore their premiums are high due to ensure the incurance company will not make a large loss

I would abolish university top-up fees, and maybe increase taxes for the top wage earners to 50p in the pound. And end the war.

If only someone else had these ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    I'd abolish that ridiculous "get 50% of school leavers to go to university" policy. And also legalise hunting again. Probably other stuff too, but I've not really thought it through :s:
    I'll second that! :dito:

(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Fair enough, stopping illegal immigrants is fair enough, but what about all of those immigrants thare are perfectly within their rights under the law to be in this country.
    if they are legally entitled to be in the country, then fair enough. but for the illegal immigrants, unless they can support themselves and not just take all the tax payers money, then they wont be allowed in

ReputationRep:
    I am guessing 2 + 2 = 5 is not filthy rich and so you are biased. Don't you think that is a disincentive to work with that kinda tax
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Make recycling compulsory for businesses and households.

Whack a ton of taxes on energy - and put the money made into adding distributed renewable energy generators to the grid and providing grants for houses to be properly insulated/efficiently heated etc etc.

Whack tax on petrol through the roof - keep diesel a little bit cheaper and make biodeisel a commercially viable option for the major petrol retailers/producers.

Introduce some sort of regulation to make sure supermarkets pay british farmers a fair amount of cash (which will also make organic produce more competetively priced in comparison).

Legalise all drugs and sell them on through pharmacies with a nice slice of income for the treasury. Put a portion of this extra income into rehab programs for people who have drug habits that are beyond their means.

Increase the amount of income allowed income tax free. Incerase the 10% bracket. Increase tax on earnings over £100k to 45%. Remove the upper earnings cap on NI contributions. Re-introduce tax breaks for pensions.

ReputationRep:
    Form a Ministry of Justice springs to mind at the moment, other constitutional changes will be made, such as changing the electoral system for Westminster, do something with the House of Lords. Getting rid of the West Lothian Question. Changing the situations with the devolved bodies. Rid of tuition and top up fees. Change the education system so that British people can actually punctuate, spell and know their grammar better than foreign students who learn English as a foreign language. Change relations between the Attorney-General and the Director of Public Prosecutions. Improve justice regarding court procedure, laws, legal profession etc. I'm going to be busy

(Original post by Blackmarket Boy)
    I am guessing 2 + 2 = 5 is not filthy rich and so you are biased. Don't you think that is a disincentive to work with that kinda tax
    No. You will still have more money than everyone else. Do you seriously think people will stop working to avoid the tax? Or perhaps take a job with £99,999 wages per year?

id would also get rid of Part P, and the 'harmonised' wiring colours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    hunting should stay banned forever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    No. You will still have more money than everyone else. Do you seriously think people will stop working to avoid the tax? Or perhaps take a job with £99,999 wages per year?
    Do you study economics? people will not want to be promoted because then they will actually be less well off - that's why they cut the taxes from 83% as they were ages ago
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by PQ)
    Make recycling compulsory for businesses and households.

Whack a ton of taxes on energy - and put the money made into adding distributed renewable energy generators to the grid and providing grants for houses to be properly insulated/efficiently heated etc etc.

Whack tax on petrol through the roof - keep diesel a little bit cheaper and make biodeisel a commercially viable option for the major petrol retailers/producers.

Introduce some sort of regulation to make sure supermarkets pay british farmers a fair amount of cash (which will also make organic produce more competetively priced in comparison).

Legalise all drugs and sell them on through pharmacies with a nice slice of income for the treasury. Put a portion of this extra income into rehab programs for people who have drug habits that are beyond their means.

Increase the amount of income allowed income tax free. Incerase the 10% bracket. Increase tax on earnings over £100k to 45%. Remove the upper earnings cap on NI contributions. Re-introduce tax breaks for pensions.
    Oh and I'd restart the nuclear power programs....we're going to need them

(Original post by PQ)
    Oh and I'd restart the nuclear power programs....we're going to need them
    id also put more money into researchin alternative ways of powering cars.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Do you study economics? people will not want to be promoted because then they will actually be less well off - that's why they cut the taxes from 83% as they were ages ago
    If the increased tax is only charged on the earnings over a certain amount then they will still recieve more money....just more of the extra money will be taken in tax compared proportionally to their pre-increase earnings.

Okay, I don't study economics. But surely that would happen with graduated tax brackets (as now) anyway? And people wouldn't turn down a high-paying job now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If the increased tax is only charged on the earnings over a certain amount then they will still recieve more money....just more of the extra money will be taken in tax compared proportionally to their pre-increase earnings.
    That is true but if the top rate comes into effect at around £30K then it is still has serious disincentive effects. Anyway I don't wanna get into a stupid argument cos its this is not the thread. 2 + 2 + 5 is right - top up fees are stupid considering that not long ago people were actually funded to go to university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    hunting should stay banned forever.

Hunting has been going on for hundreds of years. Its a way of keeping fox populations down. Why is it such a problem now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmz635)
    Hunting has been going on for hundreds of years. Its a way of keeping fox populations down. Why is it such a problem now?
    Yeah, foxes are evil to chickens We have chickens and people who also have them on our allotment have had lots of chickens murdered by foxes. The foxes don't even eat them, they just kill for fun. Hence the poor chickens have to be shut away over night, to keep them safe

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.