Turn on thread page Beta

if u were PM... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    But she has the Lords wrapped around her little finger.
    How?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    How?
    I don't know; I've never asked her.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of crime. I would increase the maximum penalty for causing death by dangerous driving to 'equate' it with the manslaughter. The procedural element will remain the same, but the substantive element will change. This amendment will be in a new Homicide Act, rather than a Road Traffic Act.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with making sure illegal immigrants couldn't get in. Any that were found already here would be deported, and all immigrants, legal or otherwise, would be deported if they committed a crime. I'd bring back the death penalty for murder and life sentences for other crimes would mean life, with no cushy prions, rewards or early release either. I'd bring back corporal punishment in schools. I'd lower car insurance and get rid of most speed cameras. I'd abolish university tuition and top-up fees and stop all these stupid targets like '50% of 18-30 year-olds should receive higher education'. The out-of-control compensation culture, PC and nanny state would also have to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I agree with making sure illegal immigrants couldn't get in. Any that were found already here would be deported, and all immigrants, legal or otherwise, would be deported if they committed a crime. I'd bring back the death penalty for murder and life sentences for other crimes would mean life, with no cushy prions, rewards or early release either. I'd bring back corporal punishment in schools. I'd lower car insurance and get rid of most speed cameras. I'd abolish university tuition and top-up fees and stop all these stupid targets like '50% of 18-30 year-olds should receive higher education'. The out-of-control compensation culture, PC and nanny state would also have to go.
    I would vote for you................ Get tony out :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    And where are we going to find all of the money to keep people in Jail for life not to mention all money for students?

(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    And where are we going to find all of the money to keep people in Jail for life not to mention all money for students?
    since there will be less imigrants claimin dole money, we will have extra money from there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew2022)
    since there will be less imigrants claimin dole money, we will have extra money from there
    So you are saying that getting rid of the illegal immigrants would solve all of our problems. What about all of the jobs that we were quite happy for imigrants to do but find such jobs beneith us? Considering that students have been known to come out of uni with over £30,000 of debt.

ReputationRep:
    just deport chavs, they are the ones stealing the dole money :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    getting rid of the illegal immigrants would solve all of our problems.
    What about all of the jobs that we were quite happy for imigrants to do but find such jobs beneith us?
    are you suggesting that illegal immigrants should be allowed to do these sort of jobs, even though they're illegal..? (!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackmarket Boy)
    That is true but if the top rate comes into effect at around £30K then it is still has serious disincentive effects. Anyway I don't wanna get into a stupid argument cos its this is not the thread. 2 + 2 + 5 is right - top up fees are stupid considering that not long ago people were actually funded to go to university.
    Yeh i also agree, increasing the top rate of tax by 45-50% would just be stupid and would discourage top business people to live or invest in the country. We were having a debate about this the other day and years ago when the top rate of tax was really high loads of famous people were leaving to live abroad (put their money abroad) and i think Paul McCarthy (sp) was one of the few celebs who stayed in the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    are you suggesting that illegal immigrants should be allowed to do these sort of jobs, even though they're illegal..? (!)
    not at all, just that it is a fact that immigrants do this kind of work as for the most part they are unskilled.

ReputationRep:
    With a ageing British population, the country will benefit in the long from having more working people paying taxes, as pensions and other things will have to be funded. What they would put into the pot would by far out weigh what they take out of it.

(Original post by timeofyourlife)
    wouldnt you rather an english person had the job, rather than am immigrant?

ReputationRep:
    For sorts of jobs they do and pay they get e.g. fruit picking, its unlikely a english person would take the job and therefore the companies wouldn't survive.

ReputationRep:
    Well, there is plenty of unskilled labour native to this country although the wages these places pay will have to be a fair bit higher than what they could pay immigrants, after all, they cannot complain about the low pay.

(Original post by john williams)
    For sorts of jobs they do and pay they get e.g. fruit picking, its unlikely a english person would take the job and therefore the companies wouldn't survive.
    they should also bring call centres back to the UK. where the people actually speak english. its annoyin when you phone a call centre and have to talk to someonw who doesnt undertsand english

ReputationRep:
    they should also bring call centres back to the UK. where the people actually speak english. its annoyin when you phone a call centre and have to talk to someonw who doesnt undertsand english
    Well, it is simply cheaper to move them to other countries, after all, why pay someone £4 an hour in the UK when you can get the same amount of work for £2.50 an hour in India?

ReputationRep:
    Thats a complete load of rubbish, your obviously a right wing supporter and completely against foriegn people. Havent you considered the fact that the UK will ultimately benefit from moving jobs abroad, as the companies will be more efficient and competitive and therefore prices will be lower and more money will be invested in the future in the UK creating more jobs for the UK. Also the people who work in call centres in places like India are highly qualified with top degrees and qualifications.

btw if i was PM id firstly sack Gordon Brown, then id resign and give the job back to Blair for life!

(Original post by john williams)
    Thats a complete load of rubbish, your obvious a right wing supporter and completely against foriegn people. Havent you considered the fact that the UK will ultimately benefit from moving jobs abroad, as the companies will be more efficient and competitive and therefore prices will be lower and more money will be invested in the future in the UK creating more jobs for the UK. Also the people who work in call centres in places like India are highly qualified with top degrees and qualifications.

btw if i was PM id firstly sack Gordon Brown, then id resign and give the job back to Blair for life!
    first of all, i do not have a problem with foriegn people: just the illegal immigrants

as for movin jobs abroad - the way i see it is there takin away jobs from the UK, meaning less jobs in the UK. most times when i get theu to a foriegn callcentre, the people may be qualified etc, but most times they do not speak good english which means i have to waste my time repeating myself so they understand

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.