This discussion is closed.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by john williams)
Yeh i also agree, increasing the top rate of tax by 45-50% would just be stupid and would discourage top business people to live or invest in the country. We were having a debate about this the other day and years ago when the top rate of tax was really high loads of famous people were leaving to live abroad (put their money abroad) and i think Paul McCarthy (sp) was one of the few celebs who stayed in the country.
This doesn't really hold true; France has a top income tax rate of 54% for those earning the equivelant of £31,270.57, Germany has a top rate of 48.5%.

Therefore putting ours up to 45/50% just for those earning an exceptional income, about £100,000 is hardly uncommon and is unlikely to lead to the "brain drain" experienced when the top tax rate was in the high 90s.
wiwarin_mir
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by andrew2022)
first of all, i do not have a problem with foriegn people: just the illegal immigrants

as for movin jobs abroad - the way i see it is there takin away jobs from the UK, meaning less jobs in the UK. most times when i get theu to a foriegn callcentre, the people may be qualified etc, but most times they do not speak good english which means i have to waste my time repeating myself so they understand
by all means get rid of all of the immigrants, but then you try to convince people that it is in the best interest it pick fruit or work in a factory all the time.
AllergicToFairydust
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I would help create more music facilities in areas where they were lacking and giving funding to allow pupils to learn to play an instument of their choice free of charge or provide more free tution. Maybe get rid of the impression it is a mickey mouse subject by returning the course back to what it was 10 years old (but only after I pass it!) Also, I'd increase awareness of the not so well known instuments which are vital to the orchestra but are very rare to find.

elsewhere, I would get all of the army personnel who are in areas of the world they shouldn't be home, giving funding to medical reasearch to see if we can't find a better solution to cancer than cut off/out whatever area its in and making to infertile (and your hair not falling out would be a bonus).

I would increase the mininmum wage and give a "student working allowance" to increase the income of students who living away from home and fall below a certain income limit (and have a job). I would also get rid of top up fees.

I would go :aetsch: on national television and :bootyshak tony blair while going na na da na na and I wave like this :hello:.
MorbidAngel
Badges: 11
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
by all means get rid of all of the immigrants, but then you try to convince people that it is in the best interest it pick fruit or work in a factory all the time.
get rid of the illegal immigrants. the legal immigrants can stay (altho if involved in any crime send them back)
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
get rid of the illegal immigrants. the legal immigrants can stay (altho if involved in any crime send them back)
And what about when us natives commit a crime, are we going to exile ourselves from a place where the legal immigrants (who have just as much right as we have to be in this country) are exiled for doing the same thing?
MorbidAngel
And what about when us natives commit a crime, are we going to exile ourselves from a place where the legal immigrants (who have just as much right as we have to be in this country) are exiled for doing the same thing?
i change my mind of stuff often... legal immigrants who commit a crime, if within the first year of being in the country, should be sent to their home country. if they have been here longer than 1 year then they get dealt with the same as british people. better?

il prob have changed my mind again in the next 5 mins
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i change my mind of stuff often... legal immigrants who commit a crime, if within the first year of being in the country, should be sent to their home country. if they have been here longer than 1 year then they get dealt with the same as british people. better?

You can't just keep changing your mind when someone manages to successfully discredit one of your points, it removes all credibility of your opinion.
john williams
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Well once they become a citizen then surely they should just go through the legal system as every other person would.. Also what you said about people working in call centres abroad not being able to speak english is completely untrue, as when i had a bank calling i didnt even realise they were calling from India unitil my dad told me.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You can't just keep changing your mind when someone manages to successfully discredit one of your points, it removes all credibility of your opinion.
I disagree, it's healthy to rethink your opinions when someone points out something you might not have cionsidered.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
I disagree, it's healthy to rethink your opinions when someone points out something you might not have cionsidered.
Surely you should think about your argument before you post it?
MorbidAngel
i kno what i want. just i normally explain them so people pick up on it a slightly diferent way to what i ment. views on things always change. i had considered some of the points before, but forgot bout them when i posted and remembered after they were pointed out
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Most sensible thing I've heard all day
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why is it only Britain that this seems to apply to? If I migrated to America or Australia or pretty much anywhere that's not here, not only would it be a lot harder, but I doubt I'd be seen to have the same rights as the natives. Britain is a notorious soft touch for immigrants.
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
Why is it only Britain that this seems to apply to? If I migrated to America or Australia or pretty much anywhere that's not here, not only would it be a lot harder, but I doubt I'd be seen to have the same rights as the natives. Britain is a notorious soft touch for immigrants.
There should be a big boot which kicks all illegals all the way back to where ever they're from but the nice ones get a wave from a robot who looks like the Queen.

We wouldn't have a problem if the French did they're job...most illegals past through France to get here in the first place.
PublicSchoolAnn
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If i was Pm I would waer Frankie goes to hollywood tee shirts and pearl earings. I love that woman. Bring back the maginator!
Johnny 5
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by john williams)
We were having a debate about this the other day and years ago when the top rate of tax was really high loads of famous people were leaving to live abroad (put their money abroad) and i think Paul McCarthy (sp) was one of the few celebs who stayed in the country.
What does this tell us? We need a much, much higher rate of tax, to keep Paul McCartney out.

Whoever said high taxes could be bad for society?
bilb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Abolish free trade, cut military down to near nothingness, drop 50% uni policy, remove the national curriculum, ban arms trade by the uk government/companies, get rid of nanny state (let idiots get runover/drown/drink bleach), and probably a hundred other things. And about immigrants...Why do you think they want to come here and if you could stay in your own country, would you?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.3%
No (214)
76.7%

Watched Threads