The Student Room Group

Will I be kicked off the course or have to repeat the year if I fail an assignment?

I’m in my first year of uni. I turned in my assignment late due to TurnItIn not working so my grade is capped, but I think I’ve failed anyway. What happens now??? Will I fail the entire module? Will I have to repeat the year? Will they kick me off the course? I’m seriously panicking. If I get kicked out of university my life is basically over, I don’t know what to do now.
Original post by kittyx07hcw
I’m in my first year of uni. I turned in my assignment late due to TurnItIn not working so my grade is capped, but I think I’ve failed anyway. What happens now??? Will I fail the entire module? Will I have to repeat the year? Will they kick me off the course? I’m seriously panicking. If I get kicked out of university my life is basically over, I don’t know what to do now.

Hi there.

Please don't panic - failure is part of life, I believe you can resit the assignment at the end of the year but may be totally wrong so am tagging @Admit-One :smile:
Reply 2

It depends.

For some modules, you might simply need to get a pass overall, so a fail mark in one component can be compensated by a higher mark in the remaining component(s). In other cases, you need to get a pass mark in each of the module's components.

In general, if you fail a module you'll be given another opportunity during the summer resit period to make up a failed component. If you fail that, then a progress board would make a decision on what happens next. There are probably a variety of options open to them.

You'll need to check what your university's regulations allow. Perhaps have a chat with your personal tutor.

a failed assignment isn't the end of the world depending on other grades if you do very well in other units and fail the unit by only a little bit your grade can be compensated if that doesn't happen you might get a make up assignment during the summer or finally if you fail that you might need to redo the unit alongside your second year studies next year however it will be capped at 40% now luckily it's only a first year assignment so won't count towards your final degree classification.
(edited 2 years ago)
It’s very unlikely that you’ll need to repeat an entire year for the sake of one module. Even if you didn’t get a passing grade you’ll most likely be given the chance to retake at the end of the year.

Hey @kittyx07hcw,

I'm sorry to hear about your assignment :frown:

It's more than likely you'll need to submit your assignment in the resit period. If the assignment doesn't account for 100% of the module mark, you haven't failed. It's just a resit. You only need to resit the module if you fail the assignment during the resit period. This may mean resitting the module and going part-time as a first-year, or if you achieve the minimum number of credits in your first year, you may be safe to move into the second year. If you pass the assignment during the resit period, your result is capped (usually at 40%).

It's definitely not the end of the world. In reality, a missed assignment is not that bad and since it's your first year, the results are highly unlikely to count towards your overall degree classification. What's important is that you need to pass all your module or achieve a minimum number of credits before progressing onto the second year. It's definitely worth contacting your tutor or the module lead to discuss this to clarify with them. It may be best to inform them of what happened too. Although it's difficult, I can guarantee you are not the only one who has done something similar. Try and figure out if there is a 24hr grace period too, as this may just save you.

I hope this helps.

Veronica
Student Ambassador
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending