Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am so excited about uni this October and i think i am going to Nottingham for Eco, woo.
    Although right now i am in the middle of my A2's and it is a killer, i am trying to complete my Eco A-level/most of geog and a module of A2 maths this Jan so it is pretty hectic!
    So so excited though, i am ready to go!
    Any Mxox i am sure you will get other offers and yeh i got rejected from my 1st choice UCL a week ago and it sucked, i know the feeling mate
    I have a laptop all sorted as well that will double up as a tv, although might get a seperate tv for my Xbox should i get bored , need to get a printer - 9 months is cutting it fine
    I know several people at Nottingham atm and loads who are going there so i won't be alone

ReputationRep:
    I'm excited tooooooooo! I already have a laptop, printer and t.v thankfully to take wih me. I have also had my A level Economics, geography and chemistry exams in January . Look on the bright side........theres less work for summer! Good luck everyone with offers

ReputationRep:
    Wooo not long to go :party:
    Forget revision I want to keep counting down :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Where are you going mxox? I can't wait to go either - so impatient!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxox)
    Wooo not long to go :party:
    Forget revision I want to keep counting down :mad:
    Not long to go now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    Where are you going mxox? I can't wait to go either - so impatient!
    *Grades permitting* KCL !! What about you ? I'm doing english (:love: ) btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Not long to go now!
    Congratulations on passing ure driving test! :party: I can see it in ure msn name btw so don't get spooked I'm not stalking you :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing English too! At Bristol, unconditional offer.

This thread has been taken over with Englishos!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing English too! At Bristol, unconditional offer.

This thread has been taken over with Englishos!
    Unconditional! You lucky lucky thing! It really is just a matter of counting down for you!

And yes I noticed that too... maybe we're just the bunch most excited about going to uni cause our subject RULES the most! :champ:

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does!

Except I will be hated at Bristol because my course has 6 contact hours per week and no exams. As in, at all, ever.

When everybody else has exams, we have a pentad. Which is basically five reading weeks, back to back.

:rofl:

Yes, everyone will HATE me!

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does!

Except I will be hated at Bristol because my course has 6 contact hours per week and no exams. As in, at all, ever.

When everybody else has exams, we have a pentad. Which is basically five reading weeks, back to back.

:rofl:

Yes, everyone will HATE me!
    I would prefer to have exams tbh. I doubt many people would rate a degree that didn't include ANY exams!

I have always been amazed at how few contact hours most BA subjects seem to have. I know someone on a BA course here that has 4 hours a week contact time (2 lectures, 2 seminars), and apparently it goes down to 2 hours a week in the second year! :eek: I would refuse to pay tuition fees!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not counting down yet, as I deferred my entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    I would prefer to have exams tbh. I doubt many people would rate a degree that didn't include ANY exams!

I have always been amazed at how few contact hours most BA subjects seem to have. I know someone on a BA course here that has 4 hours a week contact time (2 lectures, 2 seminars), and apparently it goes down to 2 hours a week in the second year! :eek: I would refuse to pay tuition fees!

No exams just means you have to work consistently, and don't have huge amounts of pressure at any one time.

If you're talking about how employers would rate a course with no exams.....who'd know? English at Bristol is very well respected.

ReputationRep:
    No exams just means you have to work consistently, and don't have huge amounts of pressure at any one time.

If you're talking about how employers would rate a course with no exams.....who'd know? English at Bristol is very well respected.
    Yes but you also have to work constantly with exam-based courses (i.e. I have been putting about 30-35 hours a week into my course including contact time). For the past month and a half, leading up to the exam period I have been revising 7-8 hours a day, everyday!

The advantage is, that after all the work, exams tell you which people actually understand it / remember it - which is very important!

If my course had no exams, those people that have now dropped out because they failed the first exams would probably still be here and at the end of the year would be classed the same as the people that are capable of achieving a first! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    English at Bristol is very well respected.
    I know, I was surprised to read how many people applied to study english at bristol! the last time i checked it was in the top 3 (application ratios).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    I know, I was surprised to read how many people applied to study english at bristol! the last time i checked it was in the top 3 (application ratios).
    But how do they decide classifications if there is no means of assessing people?

ReputationRep:
    But how do they decide classifications if there is no means of assessing people?

Assessment of degree class will be based on marks awarded to: (a) a specified number of essays and extended essays submitted for the units followed over the second and third years of the programme; (b) any examination papers which may be attached to any of the units completed over the second and third years. Only one unit (Literature 1) at present involves an examination in command of Middle English; the department may choose to introduce a further element of assessment by examination in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)

Assessment of degree class will be based on marks awarded to: (a) a specified number of essays and extended essays submitted for the units followed over the second and third years of the programme; (b) any examination papers which may be attached to any of the units completed over the second and third years. Only one unit (Literature 1) at present involves an examination in command of Middle English; the department may choose to introduce a further element of assessment by examination in the future.
    Ah so the degree does have some exams! I thought it would be really strange if there were not any at all!

ReputationRep:
    I just want to go now! Stupid A2s in the way

ReputationRep:
    Ah so the degree does have some exams! I thought it would be really strange if there were not any at all!
    At the open day they said that at the moment there are no exams at all, but they reserve the right to change that. I had absolutely no idea before I went to visit, as I only really paid attention to the course outline and what I would actually be studying.

They distinguish between candidates through assessed essays. If every essay counts, it's not that different to just having all your exams spread out across the whole course, rather than a load of them all that the same time and stupid amounts of pressure.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.