Countdown to university 2005! Watch

This discussion is closed.
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wish September would hurry up...

See, I'm luckier than a lot of my friends wishing uni would get here now. assuming I get in, I'll be going over a month before a lot of my friends.
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm starting in october which is great as i get an extra month
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Don't spend your life wishing you will be at uni. This time you will be there (and be miserable with revision lol). After your A2 exams, forget about it and enjoy the summer!!! The year before I went to uni was the best year of my life!
_poptart_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
im a in a weird mood this time of my life... its like I know how much revision I have to do, but i keep looking forward to September when i leave home!!! But at the same time its stupid cos if i dont concentrate on my revision now i wont get to go to uni lol :rolleyes:
khil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jeni8686)
im a in a weird mood this time of my life... its like I know how much revision I have to do, but i keep looking forward to September when i leave home!!! But at the same time its stupid cos if i dont concentrate on my revision now i wont get to go to uni lol :rolleyes:
Ditto ditto ditto... So... what am I doing online...? :confused: :rolleyes:

At this rate I'm more likely to be going Reading Uni or no uni at all :eek: (Reading is my insurance and I do NOT DO NOT DO NOT wanna go there! - nothing wrong with the uni, I'm just not keen on it or the course there!)

I'm planning more societies we could do at uni than my revision argh! (we = nottingham-to-be bunch - read my sig for further details!)
northern_lass
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i cant wait to go to uni, but at the same time im absolutly terified! i dont know anyone else whos goin to london, so im totally on my own. a lot of my friends are goin to different unis, but most ppl are staying at one closish to home, only about an hour or so away. im the only one moving so far away so i feel a bit isolated. plus, they all have the chance of seeing ppl from our college at the same uni on different courses, but i know for a fact that noone else is goin to the rvc! im going to miss everyone, but i think im mostly goin to miss the familiarality, just seeing random ppl who i might have spoken to a few times, or that iv never actually spoken to but i just recognise from around college.

but on the other hand, ill be doin what i iv wanted to do since i was 4, and i know ill make loads of new friends, itl b a totally new experience and ill grow up a lot, so i am lookin forward to it. im lookin forward to going shopping for all my uni stuff after results, if i get the grades!

still scared tho :afraid:
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mxox)
Congratulations on passing ure driving test! :party: I can see it in ure msn name btw so don't get spooked I'm not stalking you :rolleyes:
Thanks
Marcos!
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PublicSchoolAnn)
I really dont see the point in bringing a tv to uni. If you take one you have to get a tv liscence.
You only need a TV license if you plug your TV into an aerial, otherwise you are good to go.

Im taking my TV for games and DVDs, and i am in no way going to pay TV License.

(Original post by mxox)
Are you taking a laptop? I need to start searching for good deals cause I really don't want to be w/o one at the start of term. And gonna be too busy in the summer cause I'm going to the U.S for work experience
Laptops are stupidly cheap now for good performance, if you are on a areally tight budget dell do some great value student-type laptops for under £400 new. Although they don't look great they are still alright. And if you pay a bit more they have some better looking models.

I'm a sucker for style though so i put down a fair amount for a nice Sony Vaio, but to be fair unless you really need it to look this good just gor for something else as you'll get more performance for your money in a slightly bigger case.
_poptart_
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Good point, i need to start working on my dad to make sure he buys me a laptop to have in my room at uni... what would I do without TSR hey?!
mxox
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Marcos!)
You only need a TV license if you plug your TV into an aerial, otherwise you are good to go.

Im taking my TV for games and DVDs, and i am in no way going to pay TV License.

Laptops are stupidly cheap now for good performance, if you are on a areally tight budget dell do some great value student-type laptops for under £400 new. Although they don't look great they are still alright. And if you pay a bit more they have some better looking models.

I'm a sucker for style though so i put down a fair amount for a nice Sony Vaio, but to be fair unless you really need it to look this good just gor for something else as you'll get more performance for your money in a slightly bigger case.
Yes I'm split between a Vaio or a Dell. Whats the best studenty Vaio and where do you get good deals?
Marcos!
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mxox)
Yes I'm split between a Vaio or a Dell. Whats the best studenty Vaio and where do you get good deals?
I only really know the Sonys,

The FS115E is awesome spec, and only £705 ish at www.dabs.com, nice big screen and DVD writer, very thin and light for its screen size. So you should have no problem carrying it into classes.

But unfortunately there has been reports of bad build quality on them and apparently sony customer support is terrible so its a bit of a gamble. Maybe if you go with a proper shop like PC World and see what they say on warranty, if they offer replacements etc if anything goes wrong then great, but if you have to deal with Sony directly i wouldn't risk it.

If you don't really need to carry it often or at all, then the K series is great value for money too, seems solidly built too. The only problem is its size but its still a lot better than having a desktop PC and if you don't come from using small laptops like i have then the size may be just fine for you.

Go to a large PC world or sony centre and check them out, but always be weary of warranty with these, a laptop is an expensive machine
amie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ooh I suppose I'm lucky on the laptop front, my Dad bought me a shiny new one for Christmas

Has anyone else been hit by the exam stress yet? I've been frantically calculating how many UMS marks I'll need in each module in various different scenarios! And I'm worrying about how I'll feel if I don't get into my firm. I don't want to go anywhere else
mxox
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Woohoo last day of sixth form!!!!!!!!!!! KCL here I come!!!
...Sprigged...
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It is an odd time, but a happy time, waning between acceptance and the beggining of studies.

I don't start until October, but I leave the US in August. I have to get a flat, visas, and a mini-vacation while I'm, er, waning. I'll look back at this time of nervousness and anticipation with fond memories.

Why is it that we want to be everywhere but the present?
White_redrose
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
^^^ I don't head off till Oct either! (grades permitting etc) can't wait for the summer!
hallucination
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't start until October either - admittedly I'm not too sure of the exact date yet though! Fortunately I finished my exams last year so I am not waiting for results - I'm looking forward to a nice relaxing summer!
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ilovemonkeys)
I don't start until October either - admittedly I'm not too sure of the exact date yet though! Fortunately I finished my exams last year so I am not waiting for results - I'm looking forward to a nice relaxing summer!
I'm just curious, do you start in your first year or second year as a transfer student?

I found the term dates for you: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/secretariat/1-2-18.html
hallucination
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by trev)
I'm just curious, do you start in your first year or second year as a transfer student?

I found the term dates for you: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/secretariat/1-2-18.html
Thanks, much appreciated Technically I'm not a transfer student (the modules I studied in Comp Sci are not similar enough to those on the AI degree) so I'll be starting in the first year.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ilovemonkeys)
Thanks, much appreciated Technically I'm not a transfer student (the modules I studied in Comp Sci are not similar enough to those on the AI degree) so I'll be starting in the first year.
You're welcome. Sussex is a great uni for computing! I wanted to apply there, however I don't have the grades. It's even in the top positions in the UK, Europe, and world league tables!! I might consider a postgraduate degree there. :p:
hallucination
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by trev)
You're welcome. Sussex is a great uni for computing! I wanted to apply there, however I don't have the grades. It's even in the top positions in the UK, Europe, and world league tables!! I might consider a postgraduate degree there. :p:
Yep I was really impressed with Sussex when I visited on the SciTech admissions day. I think it's a university that in 5-10 years will make a big impression on the league tables. A lot of students at Sussex studying CS and AI stay on to graduate study so the teaching and resources must be very good; Sussex also attracts a lot of graduates from universities like Manchester, Imperial and Edinburgh for its AI postgrad courses.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.73%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.65%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.2%
It might lead to more bullying (132)
38.6%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.82%

Watched Threads