The Student Room Group

Cognitive health

This is probably the dumbest thing I've ever posted and you will probably be questioning my "cognitive health" after reading this, so apologies in advance.
Basically, I'm 18 now and I feel like I can't ever reach my 12 year old self's peak again. I used to be quite mindful. However, since 14, after years of unhealthy eating, mindless scrolling, impulsive decisions / lack of good decision-making, exposure to stress (my own fault), rumination and lately, not getting enough sleep quite regularly, I feel like I've damaged my brain beyond repair and I can't even make good decisions anymore, because I'm so mindless and impulsive now. I also feel like I have a constant fog in my brain, which I didn't have until about 2 years ago. Also, although you begin to lose neuroplasticity when you're 25, isn't 18 one of the milestone ages when your brain reaches a certain level of maturity?
I'm most definitely overthinking this, but have I made irreparable damage to my brain or can I still catch up? In essence, I feel behind in life lol as I can't seem to think as straight as I did when I was 12.
not sure quite how to fix this, but I feel like I'm in the same situation as you. I guess a good place to start would be replacing time mindlessly scrolling with reading or playing chess or something brainy, and getting as much sleep as possible. you probably won't be able to return to 100% capacity, but just make what small changes you can and at the very least, your cognitive health will improve.

all the best :smile:
Teenage years are complicated and hard to navigate through so you need to give yourself more credit. Through social media and how society is changing it does seem hard growing up being emerged with phones and technology, their not going to be impacting greatly on sleep and a lot of factors within life. If you do feel like your struggling with anxiety and unhealthy eating have you thought about access support groups or services?

One thing to start with is self care, making sure you are getting enough sleep as that is going to help you function better in day to day life, take time out for yourself, find something you enjoy, this could be drawing crafts, painting your nails football, sports clubs, puzzles etc. Take your time in the morning to build a routine, this could be getting up and having an extra long shower (I always feel better when I have a full shower, washing my hair, doing a hair mask, shaving and moisturising, just feeling like a brand new woman aha)

Im only 21 and still to this day have made questionable choices and actions but that's what we learn from, from our mistakes and then we grow from them. I look back on my teenage years and wished I just enjoyed them more, was more confident. Try not to look back at negatives but find what you can learn from this and use your experiences to grow and adapt from.

Hope this helps!! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by waterenjoyer
not sure quite how to fix this, but I feel like I'm in the same situation as you. I guess a good place to start would be replacing time mindlessly scrolling with reading or playing chess or something brainy, and getting as much sleep as possible. you probably won't be able to return to 100% capacity, but just make what small changes you can and at the very least, your cognitive health will improve.

all the best :smile:

Original post by Lxttie02
Teenage years are complicated and hard to navigate through so you need to give yourself more credit. Through social media and how society is changing it does seem hard growing up being emerged with phones and technology, their not going to be impacting greatly on sleep and a lot of factors within life. If you do feel like your struggling with anxiety and unhealthy eating have you thought about access support groups or services?

One thing to start with is self care, making sure you are getting enough sleep as that is going to help you function better in day to day life, take time out for yourself, find something you enjoy, this could be drawing crafts, painting your nails football, sports clubs, puzzles etc. Take your time in the morning to build a routine, this could be getting up and having an extra long shower (I always feel better when I have a full shower, washing my hair, doing a hair mask, shaving and moisturising, just feeling like a brand new woman aha)

Im only 21 and still to this day have made questionable choices and actions but that's what we learn from, from our mistakes and then we grow from them. I look back on my teenage years and wished I just enjoyed them more, was more confident. Try not to look back at negatives but find what you can learn from this and use your experiences to grow and adapt from.

Hope this helps!! :smile:

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply

Latest