The Student Room Group

How to choose a college in Oxbridge?

I want to apply for Oxford or Cambridge but I am not sure how I should choose a college. For example, if I want to do biochemistry, which college should I use? How about natural science?
Original post by yocchan
I want to apply for Oxford or Cambridge but I am not sure how I should choose a college. For example, if I want to do biochemistry, which college should I use? How about natural science?

College and subject have no relationship. More oxford Colleges have subjects they don't take, but that is rarer at Cambridge. Pick the College on ephemeral aspects like location, architecture, pet etc. It's about where you live, not where you study.
The first thing you do is pick the course and the second is pick the university (if you want to study natural sciences that's a non-decision since Oxford doesn't offer it).

Then it's really just gut feeling. Location, facilities, maybe they have a chapel choir or squash courts or a drama society or a tortoise or a reputation for really good vegetarian food... and also, at Oxford at least, being aware that 40% of undergraduates are at a college they didn't apply to, so it's not something you should set your heart on.
Original post by yocchan

yeah the course is more important than the university - make sure you check course content, teaching methods and have a look at past papers to decide on what exact varient of biochemistry, bio natsci or bio/ chem you want to do first.

In terms of picking a college (at cambridge cos that's where I know about), you should think about how many people are in a year, how many others will be doing your subject at that college (it can be nice to have some ppl to work with in college), how phycially large/ how many rescources like sports facilities/ music practice rooms it has, what the rooms are like, and if u like the architecture and stuff. Also LOCATION is actually VERY important. Girton is a 20 minute CYCLE from central cambridge (where most lectures and faculties are) and many say this is a real pain. Pick a central college

Also be a bit strategic and don't apply to somewhere rly oversubscribed like trinity unless ur very confident as you could be POOLED TO GIRTON

also remember colleges can be much BIGGER than they look from the front gate. Emmanuel and Peterhouse, for example, have large gardens which you wouldn't be able to guess by looking at them from the street. Scrutinise the website carefully, and also bear in mind you might live in college accommodation away from the main college in some years. Again u can check this on the websites
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
College and subject have no relationship. More oxford Colleges have subjects they don't take, but that is rarer at Cambridge. Pick the College on ephemeral aspects like location, architecture, pet etc. It's about where you live, not where you study.

Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by betabarker
yeah the course is more important than the university - make sure you check course content, teaching methods and have a look at past papers to decide on what exact varient of biochemistry, bio natsci or bio/ chem you want to do first.

In terms of picking a college (at cambridge cos that's where I know about), you should think about how many people are in a year, how many others will be doing your subject at that college (it can be nice to have some ppl to work with in college), how phycially large/ how many rescources like sports facilities/ music practice rooms it has, what the rooms are like, and if u like the architecture and stuff. Also LOCATION is actually VERY important. Girton is a 20 minute CYCLE from central cambridge (where most lectures and faculties are) and many say this is a real pain. Pick a central college

Also be a bit strategic and don't apply to somewhere rly oversubscribed like trinity unless ur very confident as you could be POOLED TO GIRTON

also remember colleges can be much BIGGER than they look from the front gate. Emmanuel and Peterhouse, for example, have large gardens which you wouldn't be able to guess by looking at them from the street. Scrutinise the website carefully, and also bear in mind you might live in college accommodation away from the main college in some years. Again u can check this on the websites

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending