The Student Room Group

What are your religious views?

Hi :smile:
I’ve been questioning my religious views for about a year now, I currently say I’m agnostic but I’m in the process of researching religions (and atheism) in an attempt to see if I actually believe any of them.

I’m currently looking into Christianity, and I have to be honest, I feel kinda drawn to it. I don’t know why, I just do. So, what are your views? Why do you - or why don’t you - believe in God? If you’re reading this and you’re a Christian, why do you believe in Christianity?

If anyone has any sources other than the Bible that I could use for research, please let me know! I’m doing my best to look through everything on both sides of the argument but obviously Christianity isn’t exactly simple, so I’m having trouble knowing where to start :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I was pretty much the exact same. Atheist to christian, and I felt drawn to it to. I recommend the new testament, if you want to start reading the Bible. Read popular verses first, I made the mistake of tackling it like a novel and got burnt out! John is a good way to go :smile:. I would read bible quotes and paragraphs online, and see if it resonates.

I believe personally because I just get a gut feeling I should, no clue why, I just know that I should. I'm LGBT, so I don't feel comfortable going to church. Also, I did bonk my head very hard a few years back, and there was a study showing people who have brain trauma are more likely to become religious after, so maybe it's that!
I'm an atheist
Original post by CatInTheCorner
Hi, I was pretty much the exact same. Atheist to christian, and I felt drawn to it to. I recommend the new testament, if you want to start reading the Bible. Read popular verses first, I made the mistake of tackling it like a novel and got burnt out! John is a good way to go :smile:. I would read bible quotes and paragraphs online, and see if it resonates.

I believe personally because I just get a gut feeling I should, no clue why, I just know that I should. I'm LGBT, so I don't feel comfortable going to church. Also, I did bonk my head very hard a few years back, and there was a study showing people who have brain trauma are more likely to become religious after, so maybe it's that!

Thanks, I’ll have a look at some quotes! I must admit, I was starting to think about reading the Bible but it’s just not practical to just read it like you can with most books :tongue:

I’m LGBT too, and unsure about church. I feel like I should maybe go a few times just to see, but I can understand your discomfort, so I’m hesitant. Doesn’t help that my parents wouldn’t approve 😐 That said though, I’m thinking about applying to a religious school next year (not because it’s religious, just cause it’s better than all the other schools in my area) and they have daily church services so that might be a good way to learn if I can get a place.

Thank you for your input, some useful tips there :biggrin:
Original post by hungrysalamander
I'm an atheist

If you’re comfortable saying, why are you an atheist? What makes you so sure that God doesn’t exist?
Reply 5
Original post by RushingRiver
I’ve been questioning my religious views for about a year now, I currently say I’m agnostic but I’m in the process of researching religions (and atheism) in an attempt to see if I actually believe any of them.

I’m currently looking into Christianity, and I have to be honest, I feel kinda drawn to it. I don’t know why, I just do. So, what are your views? Why do you - or why don’t you - believe in God? If you’re reading this and you’re a Christian, why do you believe in Christianity?

If anyone has any sources other than the Bible that I could use for research, please let me know! I’m doing my best to look through everything on both sides of the argument but obviously Christianity isn’t exactly simple, so I’m having trouble knowing where to start :s-smilie:

Heyaa
I'm a muslim
I'm quite religious, attended classes since young, and continue to take classes, whether it's on the quran, our holy book, or arabic, the language of the quran (quranic arabic has a few differences than modern day arabic btw!) and just regular education about our religion.

I can say, there's always more you can be doing, after a decade of learning, I've still got so much more to learn. The values of life it teaches you to the motivation it gives you when you're feeling down and much much more. It's a very friendly and encompassing religion that doesn't judge anyone for anything, but only seeks to advise each other and help them as much as they can to achieve the long term goal of paradise

I've really not talked about anything on islam yet, but I strongly recommend you to have a look at it, I can share links etc towards specific sites that would be much more beneficial than just browsing around without knowing much of what you're looking for 😁

Also if you have any questions please askkk

Hi there :hi:

Cradle (baptised aged 2 months!) lesbian Roman Catholic here! :awesome: Obviously in my case there's an element of "it's what I was born into/grew up with, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it" :tongue: but there are many aspects of Christianity - Roman Catholicism in particular - that resonate with me and my own spirituality/personality :yep:

Why do I (still) believe in God? Primarily because of the spiritual/religious experiences I've had. They're not easily explained or put into words but for me, that's enough evidence that there is a God - and that that God is the one outlined by Christianity.

Why do I believe in Christianity? A mixture of being brought up in it and being too lazy to research deeply into other religions (though I did learn about Buddhism as a child, as we went to the temple and marked Sri Lankan-Buddhist festivals) but also because I find Jesus and the Gospels incredibly compelling and moving :h:

Regarding being LGBT and thinking about attending church, this is not an easy situation to be in, so you have my sympathy with that. Just remember that exploration and any subsequent conversion/adherence to Christianity is NOT wholly/solely dependent on you attending a place of worship regularly/at all. You can - and will! - find your people, even if it takes time.

Keep reading and research all kinds of beliefs with an open mind. Don't be in a rush to define/pigeonhole yourself. It's OK to be spiritual but not religious, or to be religious but not attending church/worship a lot. Or to be Christian but not tied down to a denomination! :yep:

Feel free to ask me questions about what I've written, either here or via PM. On here is probably better, just so no one accuses me of trying to privately brainwash you :wink:
Oh and beware of Christian predatory 'sharks' (as I call them). They do unfortunately exist, even on TSR :sadnod:
Original post by Slx.24
Heyaa
I'm a muslim
I'm quite religious, attended classes since young, and continue to take classes, whether it's on the quran, our holy book, or arabic, the language of the quran (quranic arabic has a few differences than modern day arabic btw!) and just regular education about our religion.

I can say, there's always more you can be doing, after a decade of learning, I've still got so much more to learn. The values of life it teaches you to the motivation it gives you when you're feeling down and much much more. It's a very friendly and encompassing religion that doesn't judge anyone for anything, but only seeks to advise each other and help them as much as they can to achieve the long term goal of paradise

I've really not talked about anything on islam yet, but I strongly recommend you to have a look at it, I can share links etc towards specific sites that would be much more beneficial than just browsing around without knowing much of what you're looking for 😁

Also if you have any questions please askkk

I know a fair few Muslims at school, but most seem fairly closed off about their beliefs or unable to explain why they believe what they do 😐

Personally, I’m not convinced Islam would be right for me because of the way I’ve chosen to live my life (I’m LGBT, I’ve never met a Muslim who doesn’t think that’s a sin) but it’s still something I would consider looking into.

Honestly, I’ve had a lot of bad experiences with the Muslims at school, although much of what they do contradicts their teachings so maybe I just don’t know any who are actually trying to follow their religion… I mean, the ones I know tend to swear a lot, they vape, the girls do wear hijabs but several of them actually style their hair around that so you can still see it (I thought the whole point of the hijab was for modesty, to hide your hair, so I don’t get why they’re going out of their way to make their hair visible) and a lot of them aren’t accepting, though they say that Allah teaches you to love everyone. I get bullied a fair bit by some Muslims. I have met some kind Muslims, it’s just that some are maybe not quite as dedicated to their religion as others, I guess.

Sure, I’d be happy to check out those links, thank you!

I do have a lot of questions but I don’t know how to phrase them all lol, I’ll do some research and see if I can figure some of it out :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Oh and beware of Christian predatory 'sharks' (as I call them). They do unfortunately exist, even on TSR :sadnod:

Wait who? My goodness this sounds mad
I know a fair few Muslims at school, but most seem fairly closed off about their beliefs or unable to explain why they believe what they do 😐

Personally, I’m not convinced Islam would be right for me because of the way I’ve chosen to live my life (I’m LGBT, I’ve never met a Muslim who doesn’t think that’s a sin) but it’s still something I would consider looking into.

Honestly, I’ve had a lot of bad experiences with the Muslims at school, although much of what they do contradicts their teachings so maybe I just don’t know any who are actually trying to follow their religion… I mean, the ones I know tend to swear a lot, they vape, the girls do wear hijabs but several of them actually style their hair around that so you can still see it (I thought the whole point of the hijab was for modesty, to hide your hair, so I don’t get why they’re going out of their way to make their hair visible) and a lot of them aren’t accepting, though they say that Allah teaches you to love everyone. I get bullied a fair bit by some Muslims. I have met some kind Muslims, it’s just that some are maybe not quite as dedicated to their religion as others, I guess.

I do have a lot of questions but I don’t know how to phrase them all lol, I’ll do some research and see if I can figure some of it out :smile:

I think there's a user on here @Mohammed1000000 who I know to be so so lovely and who I believe has mentioned God before in a post, he may be muslim? I'm not sure, and sorry friend if I'm wrong, but he's so so lovely, definitely worth a PM!
Original post by CatInTheCorner
Wait who? My goodness this sounds mad

To be fair to these sharks, it's not just limited to Christians. You get them in any kind of (lack of) belief system, sadly. But the Christian ones on here rile me up most, as I'm also Christian :biggrin:
I currently say I’m agnostic but I’m in the process of researching religions (and atheism) in an attempt to see if I actually believe any of them.

Hey, that's great!

Sure, so I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (quite a mouthful, I know!), but you may have heard of us by the name, "Mormons".

I joined the church when I was around 18 years old. I originally came from a Methodist background, but then I went into atheism, then satanism during my high school years, and then agonisticism, before finally ending up in my current church.

Why do I believe? Well, for me it's a choice. I choose to believe in God and the precepts of the Church because I would rather live in a universe where there is meaning, where there is justice, where everyone you love doesn't die forever, etc. I just don't find comfort in the idea that we live in a meaningless chaos where everything has just happened by chance, and that the dead are really dead forever.

No worries! If you're interested in my religion, then the best place to start would either be through the website, or by reading the Book of Mormon. I wish you luck on your journey! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

I've not read it personally but I know former TSR Christian Soc members who swear by this book as a good starting point: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Case-Christ-Journalists-Personal-Investigation/dp/0310209307
Reply 14

Yeah I feel you, it's kinda sad that many muslims don't know much about their religion, which is one of the reasons why they can't explain to you :/

Ah I see. Well, it's just in the religion that homosexuality IS a sin, and that's not going to change no matter the person. It has to be distinguished though, that it doesn't make you a disbeliever from it. Just like doing another sin like smoking/alcohol/fornication are all very bad sins, they don't take you out of islam. There is a lot of uh, prejudice(?) perhaps towards lgbt side due to culture as well? Another thing to realise, is that in islam, it's not a sin if it isn't acted upon. Like, you wont get the sin of smoking if you didn't actually smoke, even if you really really want to, but yeah just something to know :biggrin:

mhmmm, there's a lot of ignorance or plain "I don't care" among the muslims nowadays, it's really saddening to me 😔
Yeah you're right, the rules of the religion stays the same, but the actions that people do can be different, depending on how religious they are. We all should be striving to be better and better though, that's one of the main essences of Islam!

Oh nice! I wasn't actually expecting that because others that I've talked to weren't actually interested 😂
Uhh lemme see what I can get you I'll try reply asap! or pm at least 😅

It's fineee I actually really enjoy these conversations, I don't get much chances to display my love and passion for my religion. It's also a good deed to preach to others about Islam (It's called Dawah) so I have to thank you for that
Christianity
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hi there :hi:

Cradle (baptised aged 2 months!) lesbian Roman Catholic here! :awesome: Obviously in my case there's an element of "it's what I was born into/grew up with, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it" :tongue: but there are many aspects of Christianity - Roman Catholicism in particular - that resonate with me and my own spirituality/personality :yep:

Why do I (still) believe in God? Primarily because of the spiritual/religious experiences I've had. They're not easily explained or put into words but for me, that's enough evidence that there is a God - and that that God is the one outlined by Christianity.

Why do I believe in Christianity? A mixture of being brought up in it and being too lazy to research deeply into other religions (though I did learn about Buddhism as a child, as we went to the temple and marked Sri Lankan-Buddhist festivals) but also because I find Jesus and the Gospels incredibly compelling and moving :h:

Regarding being LGBT and thinking about attending church, this is not an easy situation to be in, so you have my sympathy with that. Just remember that exploration and any subsequent conversion/adherence to Christianity is NOT wholly/solely dependent on you attending a place of worship regularly/at all. You can - and will! - find your people, even if it takes time.

Keep reading and research all kinds of beliefs with an open mind. Don't be in a rush to define/pigeonhole yourself. It's OK to be spiritual but not religious, or to be religious but not attending church/worship a lot. Or to be Christian but not tied down to a denomination! :yep:

Feel free to ask me questions about what I've written, either here or via PM. On here is probably better, just so no one accuses me of trying to privately brainwash you :wink:

This really helps, thank you! I can’t say I’ve had any religious experiences personally, though that may just be me viewing things through a less spiritual mindset. I’m hoping that things will become clearer for me in time, as I’m sure that any God that may be out there would want me to know and believe in them.

I most likely won’t attend many religious services, mainly because of my family. The LGBT aspect does concern me, but at the end of the day, any homophobia within the church doesn’t bother me hugely.

I think the main thing holding me back from Christianity is the idea of an afterlife. I don’t understand how life after death is possible. I used to believe in it, so it shouldn’t be that much of a stretch tbh, but it does really confuse me now :/
Original post by Joel 96
Hey, that's great!

Sure, so I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (quite a mouthful, I know!), but you may have heard of us by the name, "Mormons".

I joined the church when I was around 18 years old. I originally came from a Methodist background, but then I went into atheism, then satanism during my high school years, and then agonisticism, before finally ending up in my current church.

Why do I believe? Well, for me it's a choice. I choose to believe in God and the precepts of the Church because I would rather live in a universe where there is meaning, where there is justice, where everyone you love doesn't die forever, etc. I just don't find comfort in the idea that we live in a meaningless chaos where everything has just happened by chance, and that the dead are really dead forever.

No worries! If you're interested in my religion, then the best place to start would either be through the website, or by reading the Book of Mormon. I wish you luck on your journey! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Ah yes, Mormon is a lot easier to remember lol. I gotta say, the only things I know about your religion is what my dad says when he’s mocking you :frown: I’ve been brought up in a very much anti-Mormon family, which is really annoying cause I’m sure it’s a perfectly reasonable religion. I’ll definitely take a look at the website, thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by Slx.24
Yeah I feel you, it's kinda sad that many muslims don't know much about their religion, which is one of the reasons why they can't explain to you :/

Ah I see. Well, it's just in the religion that homosexuality IS a sin, and that's not going to change no matter the person. It has to be distinguished though, that it doesn't make you a disbeliever from it. Just like doing another sin like smoking/alcohol/fornication are all very bad sins, they don't take you out of islam. There is a lot of uh, prejudice(?) perhaps towards lgbt side due to culture as well? Another thing to realise, is that in islam, it's not a sin if it isn't acted upon. Like, you wont get the sin of smoking if you didn't actually smoke, even if you really really want to, but yeah just something to know :biggrin:

mhmmm, there's a lot of ignorance or plain "I don't care" among the muslims nowadays, it's really saddening to me 😔
Yeah you're right, the rules of the religion stays the same, but the actions that people do can be different, depending on how religious they are. We all should be striving to be better and better though, that's one of the main essences of Islam!

Oh nice! I wasn't actually expecting that because others that I've talked to weren't actually interested 😂
Uhh lemme see what I can get you I'll try reply asap! or pm at least 😅

It's fineee I actually really enjoy these conversations, I don't get much chances to display my love and passion for my religion. It's also a good deed to preach to others about Islam (It's called Dawah) so I have to thank you for that

Is being LGBT (and acting on it) enough in itself to send you to Hell? I mean, I’m acting on it. I think it’s totally natural and wouldn’t want to suppress my identity - I’ve dated several girls, guys, and non binary people. My overall view on that is that we’re all human and should just aim to be happy, and do what we can to make the world better. The way I see it, gay people aren’t making the world any worse, so I’m doing what makes me happy and dating who I like :smile:

Yeah. I don’t think it’s a great idea to claim you believe in something and are passionate about it if you don’t know anything about it. It’s always best to be knowledgeable so you can defend yourself if anyone questions your view :biggrin:

Absolutely, I think being a better person is something common to a lot of religions and I love the sense of unity that brings. Even when I was an atheist, I still firmly believed in being a better person, and I think this little religious journey of mine is a step in that process :yep:

I love learning about various religions, regardless of whether or not I believe in them! Always interested in what you have to say, and thank you for being willing to explain :smile:
This really helps, thank you! I can’t say I’ve had any religious experiences personally, though that may just be me viewing things through a less spiritual mindset. I’m hoping that things will become clearer for me in time, as I’m sure that any God that may be out there would want me to know and believe in them.

I most likely won’t attend many religious services, mainly because of my family. The LGBT aspect does concern me, but at the end of the day, any homophobia within the church doesn’t bother me hugely.

I think the main thing holding me back from Christianity is the idea of an afterlife. I don’t understand how life after death is possible. I used to believe in it, so it shouldn’t be that much of a stretch tbh, but it does really confuse me now :/

No worries. Religious experience is a very broad term/phenomena and there's little way of knowing what is genuine religious experience or not. So though I feel I've had some, most would say I haven't - but that's fine by me, I no longer expect people to believe me or to be listened to on that front :nah:

Regarding the LGBTQ+ bit, see the quote below :eek:

The idea of an afterlife can feel confusing. If it helps to know: despite being a lifetime Catholic, I'm unclear on whether I believe in an afterlife and even if I *do* believe in one, what that looks like :tumble: I definitely don't believe Heaven is a place where we meet long-lost loved ones who passed before us. I don't even believe it's a "place" as such. I believe there is Hell (but that few go there) and I believe in Purgatory (a Roman Catholic teaching: like a waiting room to get into Heaven). Heaven, I'm far less decided on. And I think that's OK (that said I'm not the best Roman Catholic in the world by a long stretch :biggrin: )! :yep:

I guess this is my roundabout way of saying you don't have to know or understand everything :nah:
Is being LGBT (and acting on it) enough in itself to send you to Hell? I mean, I’m acting on it. I think it’s totally natural and wouldn’t want to suppress my identity - I’ve dated several girls, guys, and non binary people. My overall view on that is that we’re all human and should just aim to be happy, and do what we can to make the world better. The way I see it, gay people aren’t making the world any worse, so I’m doing what makes me happy and dating who I like :smile:

For the sake of not lulling you into a false sense of security, I think it's important to mention that many Christian denominations will tell you that "acting on" LGBTQ+ feelings is a sin and can/will lead to Hell :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending